- Text Size +
Her Life – Chapter 17 – "Around The Corner"

"Dearest Inuyasha,

I've got wonderful news! After only a few months the doctors say that there is a major improvement in Mama. They're even letting her come home for short visits every few days, which is wonderful since it's so quiet here. As you know though, every upside has its down and poor Mama has one that will be following her the rest of her life.

It turns out that part of the problem was the fact that an early onset of Alzheimer's decided to rear its ugly head. In her mind, from what I've been told, Mama believed that she'd lost both Papa and Gramps within days of each other and she just couldn't handle the loss. This of course caused her depression and the drinking, which in the end only made things worse. They've got her on medication now though and she seems to be under control but I still have that fear that one day, the side of Mama that we'd been witnessing will be returning to visit us again.

I feel especially bad for her though when she is here. In her mind I'm still fifteen and Souta is ten years old, despite his obvious height difference. The saddest part of all this is when she asks for you and when you'll be coming to visit. I hate having to constantly lie to her about it but I honestly can't break her heart by telling her the well closed up years ago. I feel that if I do she'd relapse and that is something both of us don't want to see happen.

There are sometimes though when she talks to nothing but thin air while sipping her tea in the kitchen. I've watched her a few times and I'm beginning to think that she is talking to you, and it is that little fantasy that brings a shimmer of light back to her eyes. It brings a semblance of peace to the house when she is like this, and for that, I am grateful.

Your presence alone brought some sort of happiness into her life that will never leave her. You should be very proud to have made such an impact.

~Kagome

Chapter End Notes:
A/N - Total words - 373