- Text Size +
Her Life – Chapter 18 – "Bothersome"

He believed a pattern was beginning to form within the miko's writings. At first it wasn't bothering him, but as he read more and more of the same thing again and again a red light began to flash in his mind. This wasn't just the usual rambling anymore, no; it all appeared to be something far, far worse.

She'd talked, well, wrote, quite highly of a particular man whom he supposed she was seeing. Without ever mentioning his name, Kagome was suddenly moving on to another man. The next fee journals were full of the same happenings. Talk about her love interest, drop him, and move on to another. It was a seemingly endless cycle. Was her love life truly so bad?

Another thing that struck him odd was the numerous pictures she stored within her chest. Granted, they weren't disgusting or anything, but, it was the lack of her within them that annoyed him so. There were photos of Souta, his marriage to Hitomi, Mama, things she found beautiful, and millions of other things.

Yet, not one of them contained even a glimpse of her.

Wouldn't Kagome have wanted him to see how much she'd matured throughout the years? Give him a picture to go along with an event in her journal? Possibly to see her happy with one of the men in her life? Why did all this seem so suspicious?

Of course Kaede told him he was thinking into everything to much; that just maybe she forgot to put any into the trunk, but he knew better than that. The wench was obsessed with taking photos when they meant so what would have made her change so drastically? After all, she'd included images of everything else so why not of herself?

The rest of the family had their opinions as well, yet Kikyo stayed silent the entire time, simply lending him silent support throughout his troubled time. Yet, there was something striking him wrong about her too. Nothing big mind you, just a little something he couldn't figure out.

Closing the journal in his hands, Inuyasha made his way over to the trunk and opened it wide. Bending down, he took in the sight of all the little trinkets she'd left him. Easily, he grazed the edge of an arrowhead with his hands, caressed the faded red fabric that was once worn about her neck, teased the decaying cord that was strung through an old cork stuffed into a small glass jar, and gently palmed a tarnished locket, lost in the wonders of yesteryear. Shaking his head to clear out past memories, Inuyasha set the newly finished journal down and turned to take the newest one from the pile only to discover that he'd finally come to the final book.

Grasping it and hauling it up, he noticed something odd about this particular book. It reeked of grief and sorrow; the scent of both pouring off in such huge waves that he practically choked on nothing but air. What event could be confined in such a small object to cause such a mishmash of emotions?

The hanyou would soon wish he'd never opened that book.

Chapter End Notes:
A/N – total words - 533