- Text Size +
NOTE ~ PLEASE READ A/N AT END TO UNDERSTAND FUTURE CHAPTERS!

Her Life – Chapter 2 – “Marco Polo”


It was quite funny. Kagome had stated in her will to wait twenty years before handing over her trunk to this “Inuyasha”. The comical part of it all was that it actually took his law firm twenty-five years just to find him.

Of course he had thought Sota was delusional when it was revealed to him the secret his sister’s double life. However, when he was shown the evidence that backed up such a claim, his eyes were opened up to a whole other world filled to the brim with demons; most of which had no interest in helping a human lawyer.

Sure, the mystical creatures lived among the humans; some even in plain sight, but, that didn’t mean that they liked the mortal population. Not a single demon would help him in his search…

That is until about ten years ago.

During that period was when the youkai class decided to reveal themselves to Japan; wanting to live freely instead of behind their human masks. Surprisingly, Japan’s residents had welcomed them with open arms; not once ever being fearful of the supernatural creatures. Yet one person still hadn’t been revealed – the hanyou Inuyasha.

~~~~

Fifteen years more was how much longer it had taken Hojo to track down the mysterious hanyou. Fortunately, he was a patient man, but he wondered, in the long run, just how the entire situation surrounding Kagome’s death and the time elapsed that had passed since would come to flourish itself into something even worse. Would there be future repercussions?

Guess there was no time like the present to get the ball rolling.

After a four hour drive into the mountains, Hojo finally reached the almost hidden walkway that would lead him even further up into the foothills. Pulling out a collapsible wagon, the now fifty-four year old lawyer loaded the wooden trunk and began to make his way to what was hopefully the home of the man he’d been trying to find all these years. Hopefully this “Inuyasha” wouldn’t be upset that it took so long to find him. That is, if he released that bit of information.

~~~~

“Amazing” was too trivial a word to describe the huge house that stood next to the rocky alcove of the mountain. The outside appeared as if the entire thing was created through years upon years of standing through the elements. The weather beaten walls held such a beauty to them that the entire house appeared as if it was created for the God’s themselves. He just knew that Kagome would have loved it; she had always enjoyed things that had an older sense to them.

Pulling himself out of his reverie, Hojo continued to make his way up to the front door. After setting the trunk beside him and straightening up his suit, the lawyer gently rapped the door three times and not even a second later did the door open to reveal a familiar face he had not seen for over twenty years.

“Yes, may I help you?”

Closing his gaping mouth, Hojo bowed and responded, “Good afternoon. I’m with the law firm of Nakamura, Hojo, and Cline and I’m here to call on a man that, from what I’ve been told, lives at this residence. My research shows that he could have possibly gone by the name of ‘Inuyasha’ at one time. Might he be in? I’ve got some business to discuss with him.”

Obviously the name that was mentioned had surprised the woman standing before him, but, he noticed, that she quickly regained her cool and stepped out of the doorway to allow him to walk into her home. A questioning glance was thrown his way when he pulled the cart with the trunk in after him, but, Hojo figured everything would be explained soon enough so he left her silent question hang. Once again asking if the man he was searching for was home.

“If you will please follow me I will lead you to his study.”

~~~~

The familiar woman led him to the study, poured him some tea, and left to find, and hopefully bring back, Inuyasha. While waiting he noticed the paintings that lined the walls. Each had one thing in common; they were all scenes from the Feudal Era. Every one of them different, yet you could see the same people and settings repeated. There were only four that he saw heavily constant though; an elder priestess, a monk, what appeared to be some sort of slayer and her cat, and finally, Inuyasha himself. Hojo recognized him instantly from the few photos that Sota had showed him.

He got closer to one of the paintings, just to get a better look, and noticed the name of the artist written in the corner. Before he could investigate it more though, a voice stopped him.

“I see you have an eye for fine art as well.”

Turning, Hojo didn’t find Inuyasha, but an older gentleman that had just a few hints of Inuyasha’s features. Figuring it was just a concealment spell to fool him; Hojo straightened his suit again and bowed slightly in respect.

“Hello my name is Akitoki Hojo and I’m with the law firm of Nakamura, Hojo, and Cline. To whom do I owe the pleasure of speaking?”

Hojo noticed the frown that marred his face. Had he done this man wrong before perhaps?

“I am Miroku Fujioka and the woman whom you met earlier was my wife Sango. What business do you have with me?”

Wanting to get to the point, “Miroku” had them both sit down while the woman from earlier came back in with snacks and fresh tea. Hojo quickly pulled the important documents out of his briefcase. He wanted to get this over with quickly, he could tell that this man wasn’t too happy to have him in his home, though he couldn’t quite pinpoint why. But onto business -

“I must say you are a very hard man to track down. Took me quite a while, but the point is that I’m here now. Mam, I don’t know if this will affect you as well so you might want to stay for this.”

Sango, who was almost out the door, took a seat beside Miroku; ready to hear what Hojo had to say.

“Will you please get on with it? I’m a busy man.”

“Of course; I am here because you sir have inherited something in one of my client’s will’s.” He waved his hand to the chest setting near the wall.

“If you will allow me, I will read her will verbatim.”

The yellowed paper crinkled as it was unfolded, declaring that it wished not to be read, but Hojo knew this was important. He began to read,

“I, Kagome Higurashi, resident of Tokyo, Japan, being of sound mind and strong (well, semi-strong) body, hereby make this my last Will and testament. Any other Will’s that are found shall now and forever be, revoked and non-existent.”

A barely audible gasp erupted from the old man across from him and sadness overtook his face. Was he honestly in so much shock?

Hojo skipped to the part involving the man before him.

“Finally, I leave my large wooden trunk, including all its contents, to the most influential person that has ever entered into my life. (I just hope that you can find him) I do not know what name he goes by now, (for, no doubt, he has changed it again) but when I knew him; his name was simply “Inuyasha”. If you are able to deliver my trunk to him I would appreciate it.

I, Kagome Higurashi, hereby sign this will at Tokyo, Japan on this day – 19 December, 2011 and state that it is, and forever will be, my final wishes for my life’s possessions.

My love to all of those I left behind.”

When Hojo looked back up from the will, the elderly gentleman was gone and in his place was the hanyou Inuyasha. The woman beside him had her arm wrapped tightly around his shoulders; obviously trying to keep her emotions in check. Inuyasha though, his face was unreadable. So many emotions were overcoming his face at once that no one could give a precise name to it. Did Kagome truly mean so much to him?

With bating breath, Inuyasha stood and eased his way towards the trunk where he ran his clawed fingers over the lid gently; seemingly lost in his thought. Never had Hojo seen a man look so forlorn and broken. He suspected he should hurry the paperwork along so that he could leave Inuyasha to his thoughts.

“Pardon,” Sango interjected. “Do you know what is in the trunk?”

“I don’t really think that matters at the moment Kikyo.” Inuyasha’s deadpan voice sounded throughout the room. A deep breath was taken and Inuyasha removed himself from beside the chest and heatedly grabbed a pen from his desk while he faced the older lawyer sitting before him. Anyone could tell from just a glance just how badly this news was hurting him.

“What the hell do I have to sign?”

Honestly, Hojo couldn’t blame the man for being so blunt. He’d just revealed to him that a woman, who had apparently had a huge impact on his life, had died. If he were in that same boat he would certainly be acting the same way. The one thing he couldn’t figure out though was if Kagome possibly played such an important role in his life, then why hadn’t this man been a part of hers? Not once had Kagome ever talked about this man in all the years he’d known her. Was there a reason this man was kept so secretive?

Sensing that Inuyasha was getting impatient, the forms were immediately whipped out and signed off on, the chest unloaded and set against the wall, and, Hojo’s briefcase closed and tucked under his arm. With the cart rolling along behind him, Hojo followed “Sango”, whose real name was apparently Kikyo, to the front door. One last thought crossed his mind though and, before stepping out the front door, returned to the study to take one last look at the paintings.

“You know, she must have meant an awful lot to you to have some of her paintings.” He stated while staring at a particular piece.

“What are you talking about? No one knows who even painted these.” Inuyasha harshly answered. Did he really annoy him that much?

“I beg to differ. Kagome always did hide her signature in her artwork. This one for example,” Hojo pointed to the larger work of art over the mantel piece; the huge tree overtaking the canvas being recognized almost immediately. “One can’t see it unless they look hard enough, but for me, I can see her mark clearly amongst its leaves.”

Out of the corner of his eye, the lawyer noticed Inuyasha come to stand next to him to gaze intently at the painting. After a few minutes of silence, Hojo decided to leave the hanyou to his own devices since he, of course, had a four hour drive back home.

~~~~

It wasn’t until hours later that Inuyasha finally spotted Kagome’s words within the branches of the painted Sacred Tree and quite frankly he wasn’t happy with what he found. In a way, he didn’t quite understand what the words meant, yet, in another light, he thought that he did.

Guessing that he had used his brain enough for the night, Inuyasha turned to head to bed but not before taking one last glance at the now bold words staring him right in the face. He wondered again why she signed it like that.

Just why did she call herself “The Lonesome Miko”?
Chapter End Notes:
A/N – Total word count ~ 1,976

IMPORTANT – You are all probably suspecting drama within the folds of Kagome’s journals, but, you must understand that the entries will be of about a “happy life” that Kagome lived. This is a world that she created for Inuyasha so he wouldn’t worry. But the life within the pages isn’t what happened in real life. What actually happened will be revealed in the last of her journals, which she wrote on her deathbed – wishing to make everything right before leaving the living. This info won’t be revealed until the final chapters though.

As you may have noticed, Inuyasha is married to Kikyo in this fiction. THIS WILL BE EXPLAINED IN TIME. It is actually a huge part of what will come to manifest at the end of this fic. Also, they are using Sango and Miroku’s name because A) they’re paying homage to them & B) obviously they needed to change their names every few decades.

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS/REVIEWS ~ FLAMES WELCOMED!