- Text Size +
Her Life – Chapter 3 – “His Inheritance”


It had been days since the old wooden chest had come to take up residence within the confines of the Fujioka household. Not a sole had even dared to neither touch it nor open it to discover what lay within its depths for fear of being punished. All could tell that the hanyou who received it was in a depressed state, though none could figure out why. Of course they’d heard stories of Kagome Higurashi and her adventures surrounding the Shikon Jewel and Inuyasha’s group of friends, but, not one of them had known that the clumsy girl had meant so much to him, or that he would take her death so hard.

Said hanyou was in the study now; seemingly going over paperwork, but the elderly woman sitting across from him could tell that his eyes were wondering over and over again to the trunk.

“Why don’t you just open it Inuyasha?”

A growl was her only reply as he slammed his work down and walked over to the window to gaze out into the garden.

The old woman stood and made her way over to the incredibly quiet man. Never in all her years had she ever seen him in this way; not when he was searching for the shards or when he started his new life with Kikyo. This was a whole other side to Inuyasha that no one had ever seen before; and it scared her.

She had already cried her tears over the news and now she needed to help Inuyasha to release his. Gently, she laid a hand on his shoulder in silent comfort and it was no surprise to her when a clawed hand rested atop her knurled one.

“No one will hold it against you Inuyasha if ye let your emotions free.” She gave his shoulder a squeeze. “It is to be expected.”

“It wasn’t supposed to be this way Kaede.”

Anyone could hear the emotions laced in his voice. The once-priestess didn’t blame him for being so upset; it was just one of those things to be expected. If only the poor boy would learn to let it all out instead of keeping it bottled up inside.

She let out a slight sigh before removing her hand and moving to exit the room. One last thing was just irking her to be said though so she turned to throw Inuyasha one last thought.

“You know, there must be something pretty important in there if Kagome took the time to leave it to you in the event of her death. Surely there is possibly a trinket or such that she wished you to have. Will you really dishonor her by letting it set by the wall for the rest of your life?”

Those words tumbled in his head as old Kaede closed the door. What in the world would Kagome ever want to leave him? Was it truly something so worthwhile? Now he couldn’t stop wondering. His eyes were now gazing at the weathered-looking lid and his legs were moving towards it of their accord. Even his arms had joined in the fun; deciding to open the trunk without ever being prompted. What he found inside struck him odd though.

There were stacks upon stacks of old journals, all of which had a year engraved upon each cover. Amongst them were other small knickknacks as well; a couple old pictures here, what he supposed were a couple of her sketches, and even the old glass bottle she used to keep the jewel shards in. He supposed there was more than that, but, his eyes though kept flittering back to the books. Why did she leave him a bunch of journals? Shouldn’t they have gone to her brother?

With curiosity getting the better of him, Inuyasha grasped the first journal in the stack, sat Indian style, and began to read.

Chapter End Notes:
A/N ~ Total words – 645

To clear up any confusion, yes, the Kaede mentioned is actually Lady Kaede from the past. Yes, she is alive, not a reincarnate either. All will be explained soon.

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS/REVIEWS ~ FLAMES WELCOMED!