- Text Size +
Her Life – Chapter 6 – “O’ Blessed Day”


*Feudal Era – Day of the wedding*

Never in all his life had he been so nervous. Then again, he, a hanyou, never once expected a day to come that he would be married either. Was he doing the right thing? Would the God’s punish him for marrying a priestess?

No, they were smiling down upon him and he was grateful. Why else would such a wondrous thing have happened to Kikyo?

Thinking of Kikyo made him smile. When she started preparing for the wedding a whole different side of the conservative priestess emerged to plan the event. She was so excited about getting married that she just couldn’t contain her happiness. The woman that was busily bustling around warmed the hanyou’s heart in ways it never had before because now he saw the true person Kikyo was and not the false front she had held up for so many years.

It was just too bad that he couldn’t see her right now, but, at least he had a buddy to suffer right along with him until the wedding started. Dear God the monk was a nervous wreck, pacing all over the place and mumbling to himself all the damn time. Inuyasha was just about ready to knock him out if he didn’t have to face Kagome and Sango’s wrath. His anger was nearly ready to get the best of him, but hearing the excited women in the next hut certainly calmed his inner turmoil immediately.

~~~

“Oh Kaede,” Kikyo spoke as he fingered the clothing in her hands. “I can’t believe you kept it for all these years.” Tears were coming to her eyes as her younger, well, older sister caressed the find silk along with her.

“Ye know, I once thought I would wear it at my own wedding. I guess it’s a bit late for that now.” She cleaned her face of tears and went back to preparing for the wedding.

“You never know Kaede; your soul mate could appear and sweep you off your feet at any given moment.”

Kikyo nodded, eagerly agreeing. “She is right. Besides, mother would be proud if both her daughters wore her wedding kimono, no matter what age either may be.” She hugged her sister tightly.

The elder woman chuckled as she moved to help her sister into her clothing. “Though it is a nice thought I don’t believe there is a man alive that would want to marry me.”

“Just remember one thing Kaede, ‘expect the unexpected’. After all, we’ve certainly had a lot of surprises today. So what’s one more?”

Kagome smiled knowingly before taking another sip of her tea, not one of the other women noticing her slip in a slight pinch of herbs.

~~~~

It was almost time to begin; the boys were waiting near the village center with Kaede along with the entire village. The townspeople will amazed them with how accepting they were of the entire situation and had even banded together to prepare a feast in celebration of the two marriages. All that was left now was to start the procession to the men, but, Kagome had one last thing for the two women before her.

“There is a tradition in my era that I thought we could use here if you want. It’s sort of a tradition.” Not revealing her surprise, she began pulling items out of her bag and adorning her two best girlfriends.

“Something old,” Each girl received a bracelet made from the necklace that the Shikon Jewel once hung on, though neither girl noticed this. “Something blue,” A small, decorative handkerchief, “Something borrowed,” Two ornate hair clips were put into place. “And,” Kagome pulled out two velvet boxes and handed one to each woman. “Something new.”

The brides collectively gasp when they saw their wedding presents. Each received a gorgeous golden heart pennant necklace with a single diamond taking up residence within its center. On the back of each there was a heartfelt inscription, both stating each name of the couple and then the words “Our love shall never be lost, and death will have no dominion.” A take on a famous storyline, one that Kikyo and Sango felt described their relationships with their soon-to-be husbands.

“Oh Kagome this is too much!”

“Nonsense Sango,” Ushering them out of the hut, “Now you two better get going, your future husbands are waiting.”

“But,”

“No buts,” Kagome shoed them outside, “I wanted you both to have something from my era and this was what Mama and I came up with. Now get going! You’ve got two handsome men waiting for you and I don’t think they’re going to what forever!”

~~~~

Both couples were amazed at the sheer volume of attendants. They had only expected the village inhabitants but what they got was more than that. Humans and even demons that the group had saved over the years made up the huge crowd surrounding the wedding alter. Never had any of them ever thought that all these people would show up. It made them happy to see all the people who wanted to share in their special day.

The brides were a sight to behold; dressed in all the proper attire for the time period. The grooms themselves had to pick their jaws up off the ground at the sight of their soon- to-be wives. Kikyo and Sango (to them) had never looked so feminine before and they stole everyone’s breath at their beauty. But now wasn’t the time to lollygag, there were weddings to preform!

Kagome even went as far as to video tape everything and take photographs as she stood by the alter, for not only was she recording the event, but she was also standing of place of two families. The young miko stood proudly as the representative of both Kikyo and Miroku’s kin, since Kaede couldn’t (as she was officiating) and Miroku had no living family left. It thoroughly surprised everyone though when Sesshomaru showed up with Rin in what appeared to be their very best.

Would this day be the beginning of the road to recovery of Inuyasha and Sesshomaru’s brotherly bond?

She just wished she could see the outcome.

Her mood instantly brightened though when she saw Inuyasha grasp Kikyo’s hands; her warm hands. Yet is also brought on a sense of sadness for she knew the circumstances behind such a “miracle” and the things that had to be sacrificed to make such a life changing event happen. But, Kagome knew in the end just how it would affect their lives and exactly how different everything was going to be.

Pausing, she took another sip of her herb laced tea…

~~~~

The festivities were in full swing now. A battery operated boom box from the modern era was playing soft music throughout the entire village center. Everyone was having a grand time, especially the two couples of honor. Each pair stared lovingly into their partner’s eyes as they danced and feasted along with all the other attendants. Even Sesshomaru had allowed Rin to dance with him a time or two. It truly was a time of togetherness.

“Are ye having fun child?”

Shading her eyes from the blazing sun, Kagome moved to gaze up at the elderly priestess while said woman was sitting down next to her.

“Oh yes. It’s nice to see everyone so joyous and carefree.” Another sip of tea.

Noticing the frown that marred Kaede’s face, the young priestess just continued to watch the dancing crowd and sip her tea once again.

“Child,” Kaede began nervously, “I’ve been sensing something within…”

“Don’t.” She kept her eyes trained on the crowd.

The old woman eyed her worriedly, obviously knowing something was up with her sister’s reincarnation.

“You don’t need to worry about anything. I know what I’ve done and I will accept the consequences with open arms. Today’s focus needs to be on the two lovely couples not me.”

“Ye can’t be serious.”

“Can’t be serious about what?” A new voice entered the conversation. Both women looked up and saw a newlywed hanyou staring at them.

“Oh nothing; you know how some girls can be.” Kagome smiled before gulping down the rest of her cup when she saw Inuyasha’s nose twitch.

Silently, Inuyasha offered his hand to Kagome in request to rise and join him. When she did the young miko was thoroughly surprised when Inuyasha placed one hand in hers and the other near her lower back and begin to dance. Her breath was taken away by how flawless his moves were. Within minutes she realized exactly why the movements he was guiding her with seemed so familiar; they were waltzing.

“I had to do something while you were at school.” Was his reply when she’d questioned as to where he’d learned such a modern dance.

It felt as if they’d danced for hours before he’d finally pulled her off to the side and gotten her something to drink along with something precious she would keep with her for the rest of her life.

Lovingly, for the first time she could remember, Inuyasha tucked a lock of hair behind her ear and then laced a beautiful rose through her hair above said ear.

~~~~

*Current Time*

Little did he know that that moment would be the last time that he would ever see her. Mere moments after he’d spoken and seen her eyes sparkle he was called off by his bride to join her in their new hut since it was so close to sunset and with one last goodnight, Inuyasha had left without a second thought. Now the hanyou wished he had known just what was going through the teen’s mind at the time so that, possibly, he would have been able to stop it. The following morning, he’d recalled, had brought sadness to a time that was supposed to be happy when the group discovered that their young companion was gone, without even one goodbye to boot. Inuyasha wanted Kagome to share in these new happy times in his life, not abandon everyone. Was it something that any one of them had done? Could the outcome have been prevented?

Would these dozens of journals provide the answers to the questions that have been plaguing the hanyou’s mind for years?

The only way to find this out of course was to continue reading, so that was what he did.

Opening the book to his place, Inuyasha removed the bookmark and flipped to the next page only to reveal something he never thought would be seen again. Pressed between the page and a clear piece of plastic was the very rose he had given her on that fateful day. What amazed him more were the five simple yet significant words, written in her hand that lay beneath the rose,

“He said I was beautiful.”

Chapter End Notes:
A/N ~ Total words – 1,817

Sorry for the late update. Work has been calling me in like crazy, then there’s 4-H starting up again, and of course the sleep deprivation. Then I had a fight with my dad regarding him not taking his breathing treatments and meds correctly – let’s just say I finally got it through his skull that he wasn’t taking care of himself and now he is.

Also, on DeviantArt my group IY-Unsung-Spirits is having a Fanart contest for “Odd Ball Couples” of the Inuyasha fandom. Full rules can be found in their journal. Anyone is welcome to participate even if you’re not a member of the group.

“If Only In Reality” will be the next story updated.

PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS/REVIEWS ~ FLAMES WELCOMED!