- Text Size +
Her Life – Chapter 8 – “Concerns”


They were starting to worry about him. For almost the past week the patriarch of the family had stowed away in his study, pouring over the first of many journals from Kagome. Most of the time it seemed like he hadn’t even read a lot of the book at all, more like he would read a couple entries then skim through them again and again. Besides that, Inuyasha had barely eaten or spoken since the day the news came of Kagome’s death. The other members of the household were truly afraid for his health.

“Don’t you think this is going a bit to the extreme momma?” A seemingly teenage boy asked.

She didn’t answer for a few moments while she chopped the rest of the vegetables.

“I understand how you feel darling but you must realize how your father feels as well. You’ve heard all the stories of his shard hunting days and of Kagome, so you must see how much of a shock this is to him. You know as well as I do how badly he wished to see her again.”

“We all desired to see her, or in Tadao and the rest of the children’s case, meet her.” Kaede spoke from her place at the stove.

Tadao retreated into his own thoughts while he helped to finish dinner. Thinking of his father, Tadao noticed how not once, at least in his lifetime, had he ever acted like this before. Of course he’d heard the stories of his father’s antics from his mother, aunt, and older siblings but there were never any stories passed on regarding anything like this, and that concerned him. Was he liked this when Sango and Miroku died? Who would know such a fact though?

An image of a red haired uncle flashed through his mind.

~~~~

The matriarch of the house balanced a tray of food in one hand and knocked on the large oak door of the study with the other. Not hearing a reply, Kikyo went ahead and entered the quiet room and set the tray on her husband’s desk before turning to address him.

“I brought you some food dear. We made stew for dinner and I thought maybe you might like some.”

Again no reply was received. Her brow furrowed together while she made her way over to the hanyou that was sitting in his favorite chair close to the fire, seemingly reading over more of the first journal. Kikyo placed a hand on his shoulder.

“Inuyasha, I understand how much of a shock this was to you, but you’ve got to return to your normal routine. Your actions are starting to scare the children and worry the adults, including me.”

She paused to gather her thoughts.

“I’m not saying that you need to stop reading her journals completely, but, just leave your study every once in a while, get some sleep, eat a little something, and spend some time with the children. If you don’t begin to turn around soon I fear for what will happen to you, health wise I mean.”

Slender arms somehow maneuvered between the chair and the man occupying it to wrap themselves around the hanyou’s shoulders, tightly squeezing them in silent support. A kiss was placed upon his crown.

“Remember Inuyasha, we’re here for you. You don’t have to suffer alone. Throughout all of our years together you’ve been our pillar of strength and now it’s time for us to return the favor. I know how deeply she meant to you darling and you know she wouldn’t want you to hold all of your emotions in like this.”

Another tight squeeze and Kikyo removed herself to move towards the door, planning to return to the rest of the family and put the children to bed, but a soft voice stopped her in her tracks.

“They’re not normal journal entries.”

Her full attention was back on him and she followed her instincts to go stand back by his side, waiting for him to continue.

“Each one is a letter. She wrote to me of her life. She wants to share everything with me.”

For the first time Kikyo stared at the yellowed pages of the book laying in her husband’s lap; curiously taking in the smooth markings of Kagome’s handwriting. She didn’t even get to finish half of the page before Inuyasha turned to next one and ran a clawed digit against the edge of a faded picture.

“Through everything she’d been through.” His voice was laced with so much emotion. “Missing all those days of school and barely passing her tests, she still managed to succeed.”

His finger moved to lightly outline the robe and hat that the young girl, no, woman, was wearing in the photo.

“Kagome graduated.”

It was those few sentences that truly brought it home for Kikyo. It was then that she realized just how hard it was for him to deal with this.

For not only has he lost his one time traveling companion, but his best friend as well.
Chapter End Notes:
A/N ~ Total words - 845