- Text Size +
Her Life – Chapter 9 – “What To Do”

“Inuyasha,

It’s been a week since I graduated and I just don’t know what to do with myself. I can’t decide whether to jump for joy because, by some miracle, I passed or to weep because you aren’t here to share it with me. I know you never did like me leaving so often for school, but, deep down, I know you did embrace it.

You’ve no idea how many times I’ve walked in on you where right at the last second you would throw one of my textbooks right back where I left it. Or even wake up in the middle of the night to see you sitting by my bedroom window or in the boughs of a tree reading by moonlight. You were particularly taken by the works of Robert Frost and Edgar Allen Poe. It amazed me that you would be interested in them and not an author from Japan. I guess, perhaps some of the tales you could relate with. I remember how you would get when you couldn’t find them in my bag when you were seemingly searching for ramen. That’s why I left my copies with you, so that you would never be without them again.

I wonder what you’re doing now. Knowing you, most likely getting into another fight with Sesshomaru or saving the village from an attack. All the while complaining about how your brother was a cold heartless bastard and how us humans were to weak to defend ourselves. You were always a good man Inuyasha. Remember that, no matter what anyone says, it’s how you see yourself that counts.

You know, maybe I shouldn’t be thinking of what your doing in the past. What if you’re in this era? What would you be doing? Hmmm, well the first thing would be eating a bowl of ramen. I can’t imagine what you’d be doing other than that. Guess I’m not to open minded huh?

I do know one thing though. By the time you read this I’ll most likely be dead and I know how you get when someone close to you dies. Please remember Inuyasha, I didn’t make any of my choices based on something you did. Nothing you could ever do would upset me to the point of abandoning you. I’ve got my own reasons behind my decisions.

But you mustn’t just sit around and mope! I know Kikyo is worried about you and your children (if you have any, though I’m sure you do) are too. The Inuyaha I know wouldn’t just do nothing, he would continue on. So please, continue on for me. With any luck I’m in a better place now.

Sorry for all the rambling and getting off the beaten path, but, you know how us girls are.

Remember what I said, er, wrote.

~Kagome H.”

~~~

Inuyasha read over those last few passages again. Would Kagome ever cease to amaze him? It was like she had been watching and answered all of his unspoken questions, and for that he was greatful.

Thinking about what his wife had said earlier when she was in and part of what Kagome wrote, the hanyou marked his place in the book and headed over to the shelf behind his desk. Deftly he moved away a stack of books, seemingly real, but not. Opening the false book, Inuyasha proceded to pull out an old book, clearly worn out from how many times it had been read. The binding protested just a bit to being opened before revealing to its owner the inside cover where a special message was written.

“To my most favorite hanyou,

I used to love these poems when I was little. Lewis Carrol took me to places I could never imagine until I met you. I related to the tale of Alice in Wonderland so much if you think about it. Perhaps one day, you could read them to your children or even grandchildren as they go to sleep.

Give your pups and grandpups my love.

~Auntie Kagome”

And that’s just what he did.

Chapter End Notes:
A/N ~ Total words – 685

Just wanted to note that I have two jobs now (three if you count babysitting dad) so I am going to try to update as much as possible. Might be a bit slow starting in mid May through mid July because that’s when 4-H goes full tilt.


PLEASE LEAVE COMMENTS/REVIEWS ~ FLAMES WELCOMED!