- Text Size +
 

4

 

 

The first week in her new home and in her new school had gone by without much of a hitch.  The Jujitsu team had welcomed her now with open arms after seeing her lay-out their temporary instructor during tryouts.  Kagome had made several new friends, although lately they had been whispering more and more amongst themselves.  No matter, they still included her in all of their get-togethers and talked with her on a regular basis, so she was not too concerned about it.

 

Tonight however, she was extremely nervous.  The barbeque that the Jujitsu team had coordinated to raise money for new uniforms was tonight, so she would have to be in front of a lot of people wearing the ratty uniforms of last year's team.  Honestly, they could have at least given her one that she wasn't swimming in.

 

Kagome looked at herself in the mirror and sighed as she saw the sleeve of the uniform once again fall over her hand.  She had fixed her make-up so as to give herself some sort of feminine quality for tonight.  She may have been the only girl on the team, but that did not mean that she was going to look like them.

 

"Kagome, your friend Sango is here to walk you to the barbeque!" her mother called from downstairs.

 

"I'll be right down!" Kagome called back.

 

She gave herself one last look before she grabbed her bag full of clothes to change into once she got to Sango's house.  The girls had been planning on staying there for the weekend, just to get away from thinking about school work.

 

Kagome greeted Sango downstairs and said her good-bye's to her family before leaving for school.

 

"Sheesh, it's bad enough we have to be at school during the week, and now we have to go there on the weekend," Sango complained.  "Couldn't the Jujitsu team think of a better place to hold their fundraiser?"

 

Kagome merely shrugged and gave a half-hearted smile.  It definitely was not her idea to hold it at the school grounds.  It was only for a couple of hours, so it shouldn't hurt any; she just hoped they got a good turnout so she would not have to wear this oversized uniform again.

 

The two girls walked the short distance to school while sharing life stories along the way.  Upon reaching the school they noticed that there was a fairly big crowd already assembled on the grass area and the barbeque was already well under way.  Sango and Kagome went in search of their other friends so that they could all get a bite to eat and sit and talk together.

 

They found the other girls a short distance away from where the school's cheerleaders were performing a mediocre dance in order to try and rouse the crowd.  Kagura was busy making faces to the girls in the front of the chorus line and Ayame and Kikyo were doing their best to keep their laughter to a minimum without much success.

 

Kagome shook her head at them.  "That's not very nice, they're doing the best they can," she lightly berated them.

 

The girls all shrugged their shoulders and went to find a seat.  Many people had now shown up for the event and the tiki torches were lit around the area to give off nice lighting.  The girls all observed as Kaede, the attendance office worker, approached the makeshift stage to the microphone.

 

"Ladies and gentlemen," Kaede began.  "Tonight I would like to welcome you to the first annual Jujitsu barbeque.  Donations will be accepted all night near the entrance so please help support the team in getting new uniforms and equipment.  Now I would like to hand the microphone over to Naraku, the temporary team instructor who put all of this together.  Please give him a big hand."

 

Everyone applauded as Naraku took to the stage. "Thank you Kaede.  Thank you to every one of you for being here tonight, on behalf of the Jujitsu team and myself, I humbly thank you.  Our team has been practicing hard for the upcoming decathlon and we have some promising new talent this year.  Please enjoy the food and the company and do not forget to make your way to the donation table."

 

The crowd cheered and went back to eating and enjoying the music that was now playing.  The group of girls stood up and Sango immediately went to Kagome to straighten out her hair.

 

Kagome laughed at her friend and batted her hand away. 

 

"What are you doing Sango?" Kagome asked her.

 

"Oh nothing, just trying to fix your hair a little," Sango replied back.  She then tugged down on Kagome's uniform jacket to fix it, and then re-tied her belt.

 

"Sango, I know the uniform looks bad, but there's not much I, or even you, can do about it," Kagome told her friend.

 

"Kagome," Kagura called.  "Come with us, we'd like to show you something."

 

Kagome gave her new friends a slightly skeptical look but nodded and proceeded to follow them through the crowd.

 

 

**

 

Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha looked on in slight amusement as Miroku and Kouga did their best impressions of the cheerleader's dance. 

 

"Inuyasha, why is it that you and your friends decided to seek me out and bother me?" Sesshoumaru asked.  Just because he was their ride here, did not mean that he wanted to be anywhere near them.

 

"Oh lighten up and try and have a good time.  At least try and make the best out of being here," Inuyasha told his brother.

 

"I was doing fine by myself; I did not need you and your friends to keep me company," Sesshoumaru continued.

 

"Yeah, yeah.  Oh hey guys look!  Here come the girls!" Inuyasha pointed out.

 

Upon seeing Kagura, Sesshoumaru turned his back on the group in hopes of her leaving him alone.  The girl did not just take a hint; did he need to make it any clearer that he did not and would not be with her?

 

He almost gave in to his urge to growl when he felt a tap on his shoulder.  Sesshoumaru closed his eyes to try and will the oncoming headache away before he turned around.  Kagura stood before him with a huge grin plastered on her face.

 

"Hey there I have something for you," Kagura said to him with an evil glint in her eyes.

 

Sesshoumaru raised a perfectly shaped eyebrow at her.  "Really?  And what would that be?" he asked curiously.

 

Kagura smiled again and then grabbed Kagome, who had been talking with Sango with her back to Kagura, and then pushed her forward into Sesshoumaru.  "Yeah, I have this for you."

 

Kagome stumbled a bit and pushed herself away from the person she had been slammed into to get a better look.  Her eyes widened and she immediately produced a huge smile.

 

"Sesshoumaru?!"

 

Sesshoumaru's eyes widened in what was for him, a completely out of character reaction.  "Ka-Kagome?!" Sesshoumaru said in an honestly surprised state.  "What are you doing here?  I thought your family was going back to Okinawa?!"

 

"We did, but something came up and we had to move here!" Kagome said excitedly.

 

The group of friends watched the scene with interest.  Kagura had a triumphant smirk on her face, while Kikyo, Ayame, and Sango looked on nervously.  Inuyasha and his friends stared on with wide eyes and jaws dropped.  Did they miss something?

 

"I can't believe this," Kagome said, "I didn't think I was ever going to see you again."

 

"Me either," Sesshoumaru admitted.  He then took the time to look her over and he immediately stilled.  He dropped her hands that he had been holding and backed up a step or two.

 

"Sesshoumaru?" Kagome began, "What's-"

 

"Excuse me Mr. Taisho; the teachers are all meeting by the stage to get ready for the speeches in a couple of minutes," said a student who had come up to their group.

 

Kagome could only stare wide-eyed at the man in front of her.  "Muh-Mr. Taisho?  You're-you're a teacher here?!"

 

Kagome could not believe this was happening; she was reunited with Sesshoumaru just to find out that their relationship was one that should not have happened in the first place.

 

"This-this can't be happening...I made out with a teacher!?" Kagome all but yelled.

 

A couple people turned towards the group with raised eyebrows and Sesshoumaru felt his breath hitch in his throat.  When the people turned away again to continue with the barbeque he took hold of Kagome's arm and led her away further from the crowd.

 

"Kindly keep your voice down; or do you not mind if I were to get fired?" Sesshoumaru asked a still surprised Kagome.

 

"Please forgive me if I don't seem to calm about this," Kagome stated sarcastically.  "How could you not tell me you were a teacher?  Didn't I seem a bit young for you?"

 

"I didn't tell you because at the time it did not seem important; and no, you did not seem too young for me.  I assumed you were of age; a mistake on my part apparently."

 

"Sesshoumaru I'm eighteen," she assured him.  He gave her a look that clearly showed his gratefulness and she continued.  "That doesn't mean that this is okay."

 

"Do not tell me things I already know.  It was a mistake to be with you and it is something that will not happen again I assure you," he told her harshly.

 

Kagome could not help the tears that she felt stinging her eyes.  As much as she knew what had happened was wrong between them, it still hurt to hear him say that their short time together was a mistake.  Those three weeks she held very close to her heart and they meant everything to her.

 

"You're a jerk Sesshoumaru.  Don't ever talk to me again; I'll try and stay out of your way," Kagome said before she turned to walk away.

 

Sesshoumaru watched her leave and then swiped a hand over his face.  When he pictured himself and Kagome reuniting again, it surely went nothing like this.  He felt the fool for the first time in his life and it was no one's fault but his own.

 

"Mr. Taisho, they're ready for your speech," the same student from earlier informed him.

 

Sesshoumaru nodded and walked towards the stage; his life was about to become exceedingly complicated and all because of three wonderful weeks spent with who was supposedly the girl of his dreams.  Life sure had a sick sense of humor.

 

***

 

Inuyasha, Kouga, and Miroku remained glued to their spot with their mouths hanging open, even after Sesshoumaru had led Kagome away from them.

 

The girls twiddled their thumbs in nervousness; just what had they done?

 

Without warning Inuyasha started laughing like a hyena while holding his sides.  In all of his life he would have never, and I mean, NEVER thought that Sesshoumaru would do something so out of character; especially be intimate with a student!  Granted, he did not know how close Sesshoumaru and the girl at the ski resort, who he now knew to be this girl called Kagome, were but at this point in time, it did not really matter.

 

Inuyasha continued laughing until he was doubled over and hanging on to Miroku's shoulder to keep him upright.  Miroku and Kouga could no longer contain their mirth and soon joined in Inuyasha's laughter.

 

"It's not funny you guys!" Ayame screamed at them.  This only succeeded in making them laugh harder.

 

Kikyo looked on at them and glared.  "Inuyasha enough," she told him sternly.

 

Inuyasha, Miroku, and Kouga instantly stopped their laughing fit to look at the enraged girl.

 

"You all should be ashamed of yourselves, this obviously is a very difficult situation and you all are laughing!" Kikyo reprimanded them.

 

"Oh lighten up," Kouga butted in.  "You seriously can't see the humor in this?  Sesshoumaru, know ice prince of Tokyo High, has finally hooked a woman and she turns out to be a student.  It can't get any better!"

 

"Not a word will be mentioned about this to anyone," Sango demanded.  "If this sort of thing got out Sesshoumaru would lose his job and Kagome would be humiliated!"

 

"Keh!  Back off will ya, we ain't gonna tell anyone; how stupid do you think we are?" Inuyasha said.  "Sesshoumaru may be a cold prick, but he's still my brother."

 

"I'm holding you to that Inuyasha," Kikyo said hardly.  "That goes for the rest of you as well."

 

"You have our word that none of this will leave our circle," Miroku said calmly.  "Besides, if Sesshoumaru was out of a job, who else would give us rides to places?"

 

 

***

 

 

Sesshoumaru made his way up the stage and instantly the crowd grew silent.  "Good evening," Sesshoumaru started.  "Thank you for taking time out of your lives to support the Jujitsu team in their endeavors.  Earlier this week I was approached by the acting instructor, Naraku Nakamura, who kindly asked that I become the permanent instructor for the team and I have accepted the position."

 

When Kagome heard this she tapped Sango on the shoulder.  When she had Sango's attention she asked, "Can we please leave now; I really don't want to be here anymore."

 

Sango nodded her head in complete understanding and motioned for the other girls to leave.  As soon as they got into Kagura's car Kagome let out the tears she had been holding back.

 

"Shh, it'll be okay Kagome," Sango soothed her, "just forget about him, he didn't deserve you anyway."

 

"H-he was s-so sweet to me," Kagome cried into Sango's shoulder, "I don't kn-know how this c-could have ha-happened.  He said I was a mis-mistake!"

 

The group drove to Sango's house in silence, every now and then giving what little comfort to their new friend that they could.  Kagura looked on in silence; although she felt a bit bad for dumping the girl into Sesshoumaru's lap; that small action helped to ease her jealousy a bit.  It made her grateful that she wasn't the one in Kagome's shoes at the moment.

 

By the time they arrived at Sango's house Kagome had used up all of her tears and was now angry.  The girls were not sure which mood they preferred.  They all stalked up to Sango's room, greeting her parents quickly as they made their way up the stairs.

 

The girls changed and got comfortable around the room.  Kikyo smiled wickedly at them before she brought out a couple bottles of sake for them all to share.

 

"Do we even want to know how you got that?" Kagura questioned her.

 

"Probably not," Kikyo answered honestly.

 

The girls shrugged and looked on with surprise as Kagome took the bottle and gulped down a larger portion of it.

 

"Kagome, maybe you should take it easy-" Ayame began.

 

"Oh hush and let her indulge a bit; she's had a rough night," Sango interrupted.

 

"Thanks guys, I needed this," Kagome said lightly.  "Sorry if I drug you away from the barbeque earlier than you wanted."

 

"Are you kidding?  We were only there for you," Kikyo told her.

 

Kagome smiled at them genuinely; even though she had been mad at them earlier for the way they allowed things to happen between she and Sesshoumaru; she was almost relieved that it had just gotten over and done with.  To know that the girls were at the fundraiser simply in support of her made her forget their transgression.

 

"Guys what am I going to do?  Sesshoumaru is a teacher at school and he's taking over instruction of the Jujitsu club.  I should probably just quit," Kagome reasoned.

 

"You can't quit!" Ayame shouted making all of them jump.  "You're like the best person they've had on the team in years.  Plus don't you think it would be a little suspicious?"

 

"Well she can't just pretend that he's not there," Kagura chimed in.  "How awkward do you think it'll be having your fling so close all the time, knowing that you can't be with him?"

 

"They can be together, they just have to keep it secret," Kikyo offered.

 

"You guys are all idiots," Sango told them.  "Kagome shouldn't be the one to quit, she should just tell Sesshoumaru that he should find a different instructor; I'm sure there are plenty of qualified people to take that position."

 

"One problem," Kagome finally interjected.  "He's not getting paid for that job, he's doing it under completely volunteer status.  The Jujitsu team can't even afford uniforms, let alone pay someone to come instruct us."

 

The girls all sagged in their places around the room.  Kagome hated seeing everyone so down, especially when they were here to have a good time.

 

"You know what guys, don't worry about it.  Sesshoumaru's an adult and I'm legally an adult, we can handle this maturely.  Just, please, don't say anything to anyone; I don't want him to get fired over this."

 

"Don't worry Kagome, we'll keep your secret," Sango reassured her.

 

The other girls nodded their heads in agreement.

 

"Great!  Now how bout we play a game or watch TV or something?" Kagome offered.

 

"Ooo, I know!  How about we turn the TV on a movie, turn the sound down, and create our own dialogue?" Kikyo suggested.

 

They all agreed and Kagome tried to ignore her thoughts of Sesshoumaru.  After she left the ski resort to go back to Okinawa she was heartbroken.  She had never before met someone quite like him and silently vowed to herself that she would see him again one day.  She was just not expecting that one day to come so quickly and be so complicated.

 

In all honesty, Kagome did not know what to do about the situation.  She could try and just forget about him in order to move on with her life, but that was easier said than done.  Perhaps she could plead with her mom to send her to another school?  Not likely.

 

So many questions were left unanswered and so many scenarios were left open.  Kagome could hear the gods laughing at her; this is what someone would call a cruel irony.