- Text Size +
 

6

 

 

Monday morning rolled around and it felt as though everyone were walking on eggshells.  To the world, everything was the way it was supposed to be; but to two people, everything was messed up. 

 

Kagome felt as though everyone were watching her, although no one seemed to care that she was there.  The weekend had seemed to drag on forever, and the school day was going to pass by just as slow.  She would have to wait for her chance to talk to Sesshoumaru at the end of the day; after Jujitsu practice.

 

So, with a heavy sigh, Kagome made her way through the halls of the school and through the throng of students.  Not paying attention to where she was going, she suddenly ran head on into another student.  They both pulled back and rubbed their foreheads to soothe the ache received from impact.

 

"Hey, I'm sorry I didn't watch where I was- hey, it's you!" Kouga exclaimed.

 

Kagome looked at the guy in front of her for a bit before a light went off in her head.  "Oh hey, yeah...Kouga right?  Sorry about bumping into you."

 

Kouga waved his hand dismissively in front of him.  "Naw, forget about it, it was my fault.  Where ya headed; can I walk you to class?"

 

Kagome smiled sweetly at Kouga and allowed him to take her books from her. 

 

"I'm headed towards science class," she told him as they began walking.  "Thanking you for walking me there, I still don't fully know my way around."

 

"It's no problem.  Say, what are you doing tonight; would you like to grab a bite to eat?"

 

Kagome drew her bottom lip into her mouth in thought.  She did not want to be mean since Kouga was being so helpful, but was she ready to out with him on a date?  Kagome looked around for an answer and found one.

 

Across the hallway Sesshoumaru was talking with another teacher.  He seemed to be enjoying himself in her presence; giving her a rare smirk every now and then.  Kagome's resolve was slowly strengthening and the she saw the woman put her hand on Sesshoumaru's arm after he had told her something that was obviously funny.

 

With a determined gleam in her eyes Kagome looked up at Kouga, who was little taken aback by her intensity, and told him, "I'd love to go out and get something to eat.  Where would you like to go?"

 

Kouga gave a smug smile and flung his arm around Kagome's shoulders as he led her down the hallway.

 

"I was thinkin' we could go to this burger joint down the road; it just opened last week and it's supposed to be pretty good.  Does that sound okay?" asked Kouga.

 

Kagome smiled and nodded.  If Sesshoumaru had truly meant those words that he said to her over when they had met again, then she would have to move on and forget him.  What better way to do so then to start dating?

 

She allowed herself to be led down the hallway by Kouga who was talking animatedly to her.  Although his conversation fell on deaf ears, Kagome smiled and nodded occasionally to let him think she was listening.

 

In all honesty her thoughts were on Sesshoumaru.  He seemed none the worse for wear even after the events of the weekend; perhaps she was the only one affected by it all?  That thought left a bad taste in her mouth.  Surely their time together over winter break meant something to him.  Didn't it?

 

Thoughts unbidden of his soft kisses and his tender touch running across her skin to keep her warm made Kagome blush a bit, and she could not hide her face in time for Kouga not to see.

 

"Is something wrong Kagome?" asked a concerned Kouga.

 

Kagome uncomfortably cleared her throat before talking.  "No-ahem-no, everything...everything's fine."

 

"Are you sure?  You don't need to go to the nurses station, do you?" Kouga asked a little too loudly.

 

His voice brought on the stares of a few people and Kagome's blush deepened to a dark crimson now.

 

"No!" Kagome all but screamed at him.  "I'm fine, I just-oh look here's my class!  Thanks for walking with me!"

 

She yanked her books from his hand and rushed into the class room leaving behind a confused but happy Kouga in the hallway.

 

Unbeknownst to Kagome or Kouga, Sesshoumaru had been watching.

 

 

****

 

 

He was seeing red.  How dare that mangy flea-bitten, poor excuse for a demon touch what was his!  If he had been anywhere other than the school grounds he would have personally put that wolf in body cast for even assuming he could go anywhere near Kagome.

 

Sesshoumaru saw her as soon as she walked into the hallway to head for her first class and he had wanted to so badly go and talk to her then.  However, that would have not been the best plan considering where they were.

 

He resolved to compose himself and get his thoughts off of the stunning creature that had yet to leave his mind, but his eyes would not move from her form.  He watched as she walked slowly down the hallway, coming closer to him, almost close enough to touch.

 

She almost caught him watching her, but he quickly turned from her as he saw a fellow teacher near him.  Immediately he struck up a menial conversation, something that he never did, with the female educator.

 

Straight away Sesshoumaru regretted his decision when he saw the hurt look in Kagome's eyes.

 

‘It is for the best,' he thought to himself.

 

That line of thinking was quickly disrupted when he heard his brother's wolf friend, Kouga, ask Kagome out to eat. 

 

‘Like she'd agree to that,' Sesshoumaru thought smugly.

 

Again he was brought down when he heard her agree to a date.  Apparently, she did not like the fact that he was conversing so freely with another woman.  Perhaps his quick plan of action was not so great after all? 

 

Sesshoumaru mentally sneered as he watched Kagome and Kouga walk down the hall.  He said a quick good-bye to the woman teacher and stealthily made his way after them so he could keep an eye on that wolf.

 

Halfway down the hall he noticed that Kagome became flustered and began to blush.  Sesshoumaru raised an eyebrow at this; just what was that girl thinking of?  He almost frowned when thought that she may be thinking of that wolf that was walking with her.  There would be none of that!

 

He should be the only one she thought about in such a way.  It was him that touched her in ways that made them both long for more.  It was him that missed her so achingly when they said their goodbyes. 

 

Damn, he should not be thinking like this!

 

Perhaps she was just sick?  That would explain the rapid flushing of her face would it not?  Did the wolf just say something about the nurse?

 

Sesshoumaru would get no chance to find out if Kagome was okay or not because she quickly ran into her classroom.  He let out a sigh and ran a hand across his face.  This was not a good start to his day.

 

"Someone snaking ya bro?" came the taunting voice of his half-brother as he motioned towards Kagome.

 

Sesshoumaru ground his teeth together in an attempt to not beat his brother to a pulp...at least not until after they got home.

 

"Should you not be somewhere, you know...away from me?" Sesshoumaru asked him with contempt.

 

Inuyasha crossed his arms over his chest and huffed.  "Geeze, who shit in your Wheaties this morning?"

 

Sesshoumaru looked at his brother from the corner of his eye and slightly shook his head.  Did ever a proper word come from his mouth?

 

With no answer to Inuyasha and no backward glance, Sesshoumaru started to make his way to his classroom.  It would not do to have the teacher be tardy; how else was he going to give these parasites detention?

 

Inuyasha watched with a snarl on his face as his brother left without so much as a ‘hn'.  This whole "Kagome thing" was getting old fast; his brother was even more of an asshole than usual.

 

He spotted Kouga coming down the hall, every now and then turning his head to watch as another girl went by.

 

"Man," Kouga started as he approached Inuyasha, "I don't know what to do with myself around all these fine lookin' women."

 

Inuyasha gave him a disgusted look and said, "I don't care what you do as long as it ain't around me."

 

"Yeah, but what are you supposed to do with them the other twenty-three hours and forty-five minutes of the day?" Kouga jibed.

 

"Damn Kouga you're getting as bad as Miroku!" Inuyasha said as he turned to walk away.  "I think you two spend way too much time together!"

 

"Well he's a guy after my own heart.  You really don't know what you're missing out on dog breath," Kouga said with a wink.

 

"Whatever, let's get to class," Inuyasha grumbled.

 

 

****

 

 

Kagome tapped her pencil on her desk.  It was the last class of the day and soon she would be facing Sesshoumaru. 

 

A knot formed nicely in the pit of her stomach then. 

 

‘Gods what am I going to say to him?' she thought painfully.  ‘Hey Sesshoumaru, you know, even though you said that you made a mistake by me, I still find you incredibly sexy and I still want to be with you even though you're a TEACHER!'  Yeah, that would go over nicely.

 

Her pencil tapping became a bit more furious before her foot found the rhythm as well.

 

Here she was, not five minutes away from being able to talk to Sesshoumaru again, and all Kagome wanted to do was crawl in a hole somewhere and die.

 

Begin the drumming of the fingers.

 

‘Maybe it won't be so bad,' Kagome thought positively.  ‘Maybe-maybe this is just all a bad dream; and any minute now mom will wake me up and tell me to help grandpa sweep the shrine steps.'

 

"Would you stop it already?!" Sango hissed quietly, dropping her hand on top of Kagome's.

 

"Sorry," Kagome said meekly. 

 

Sango gave her a sympathetic smile; she knew all too well what her new friend's thoughts were, and she could not blame her for being so restless.

 

"It's alright Kagome.  And don't worry, everything will work out," Sango whispered to her friend. 

 

Kagome dropped her head in her hands and took a few deep, calming breaths.  This was a lot harder than she thought it was going to be, and she hadn't even made it to Sesshoumaru yet!

 

Just as she calmed down, the dreaded bell rang, signaling her time for Jujitsu practice.  With more strength than what she felt, Kagome lifted herself from her desk and slowly made her way to the locker rooms to change.

 

Sango walked beside her for support and they were soon joined by Kikyo, Kagura, and then the ever happy Ayame.

 

"Why does everyone look so sad?  Monday is over now and we don't have to go to any more classes!" Ayame cheered.

 

Kikyo gave Ayame a look to shut her up, but shook her head when she did not catch on.

 

"Would you shut up already; Kagome has to speak with Sesshoumaru today," Kagura said in effort to silence the still cheering Ayame.  If not for Kagome's piece of mind then her own; she just could not stand to see someone so ...excited.  Especially on a Monday.

 

Ayame instantly quieted down and made an ‘oh' shape with her mouth.  "Sorry Kagome, I forgot."

 

Kagome gave the now sulking Ayame a half-hearted smile.  "It's okay Ayame, I don't mind you being so happy.  It's actually a refreshing change for today."

 

With new permission the girls all began to talk lively in efforts to keep Kagome's mind off of the inevitable encounter.  But all too soon they approached the locker rooms.  Each of them got dressed in their respected uniforms and was then leaving for their separate practices.

 

Kagome reached the practice room and slowly opened the door and peaked in.  She saw the other members of the group beginning to sit down in a circle and stretch, but she saw no sign of Sesshoumaru.

 

Perhaps he decided not to instruct the class?

 

With a sigh of relief, Kagome made her way into the room and joined in stretching.  She relaxed for the first time today and even joined in the conversations of a few people.  They were all just getting ready to start warm-up drills when the door opened and Sesshoumaru strode in.

 

"I beg you pardon for being late," Sesshoumaru said to them.  "However, I just got out of a meeting with the principal.  He informed me that your fundraiser went exceptionally well and to expect new uniforms and mats within the month."

 

The group cheered for their victory while Kagome stood there with wide, panicked eyes.  She was not expecting him to show in hopes that he had declined the position or that they had found someone else.  But here he was, standing there in front of them, looking exceptionally sexy in his training suit and not even bothering to look her way.

 

Kagome closed her eyes in an effort to will Sesshoumaru away, but when she opened her eyes again he was still there.  And still dead sexy.  Damn.

 

"Everyone find a partner and begin warm-ups," Sesshoumaru commanded.

 

He watched as they all scattered around and teamed up and then fell into line to await their turn on the drills.

 

Sesshoumaru dared not look at Kagome, for if he did then he was certainly going to lose his concentration.  The team ran their drills and he then chanced a look her way.  

 

Kagome had partnered with Naraku and was currently allowing him to practice his take-downs on her.  She was thrown to the mat time and again, and although it was a lot gentler than the real thing, Sesshoumaru found it hard to watch her hit the mat. 

 

She looked like a walking contradiction in her training uniform.  Sesshoumaru knew her to be a kind and feminine woman with a delicate touch and soft lips.  But watching her now, she looked almost deadly.  Her hair up in a high ponytail and her uniform belt tied tight around her waist.  She and Naraku had since then switched positions and Sesshoumaru watched as she deftly moved through the rhythm of the drills.

 

Gods what a sight she made.

 

"Sesshoumaru-sama?" came a voice from his side.

 

He looked over to see one of the team members' giving him a questioning stare; and it was all Sesshoumaru could do to not rub his temples.  Had he just been staring at Kagome this entire time?

 

"Is there something wrong Sesshoumaru-sama?" asked the boy again.

 

"No.  What is it that you need?" Sesshoumaru said icily.

 

The boy stuttered for a moment, opening and closing his mouth a few times trying to figure out what he was going to ask their new sensei; but for the life of him he could not remember now.

 

"Uh-uh, it's not important," the boy said quickly before he ran off to practice more. 

 

Sesshoumaru shook his head slightly to rid himself of his less than pure thoughts of the female in the room.  He started to make his rounds to watch as they all continued with their drills and would give them instructions here and there.

 

An hour and a half later he called them to the middle of the room.

 

"You all have done well today, but I definitely see things that need a lot of improvement.  For the next week and a half we will be going over your grappling techniques since it is where we need to be most focused on.  Any questions?"  Sesshoumaru asked looking around at the silent team.  "No?  Then I will see you tomorrow; you are dismissed."

 

The team got up and bowed to him and took their leave of the practice room.  Kagome gulped almost audibly when she found that it was now just her and Sesshoumaru in the room, and he was looking straight at her.

 

She watched as he slowly crossed the room only to come to a stop directly in front of her.

 

"Hello Kagome."

 

"H-hi."

 

"How are you?  Enjoying your time here?" Sesshoumaru asked her.

 

"I'm fine, thank you.  Yes, I like it here okay," she answered slowly.

 

Sesshoumaru nodded his head a couple of times before he spoke again.  "Look, I've been meaning to talk to you-"

 

"About what?" Kagome questioned innocently.

 

"About Saturday at the barbeque," he answered.  "I said some things that may have come out the wrong way."

 

"No, I think you made yourself perfectly clear," Kagome said a little stronger.

 

Sesshoumaru pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration.  "Would you just listen?  Things are not as easy for us now.  I am a teacher here; I have a reputation to uphold."

 

"And that's why I'm going to leave you alone.  Don't worry about me-"

 

"Yes, you have moved on rather quickly I see," Sesshoumaru interrupted.

 

"What's that supposed to mean?!  I thought you said we were a mistake?!"

 

Sesshoumaru ignored her comment and continued on with his tirade.  "Tell me, what exactly did that wolf do to you to make you blush so?"

 

"I don't see how that's any of your...wait a minute-you were spying on me?!"

 

"I do not spy."

 

"Yes you were you were spying on me!  How else would you know that I was with Kouga and that I was blushing?"

 

"..."

 

"Ha!  That's what I thought.  Are you jealous Sesshoumaru?" Kagome asked mockingly.

 

"Jealous?  Hardly; how could anyone be jealous of that miscreant?" he answered haughtily.

 

"You're jealous.  I can see it in your eyes; you can't handle-"

 

Kagome was cut off from her taunt when Sesshoumaru closed the distance between them to press his lips to hers. 

 

He would not admit it aloud, but Kagome was absolutely right; he was jealous.  He hated to see Kagome with Kouga, and he was pretty sure that he would not want to see her with anyone else either.  And so, he let her know that in his kiss.

 

At first Kagome was surprised at Sesshoumaru's actions, but quickly enough she was surrendering to the feeling of his lips against hers again.  It had been too long since she felt this sensation.  She closed her eyes and wrapped her arms around his neck to hold him in place, and Sesshoumaru allowed her to.

 

She opened her mouth to him and soon their kiss was deepened and both were breathing hard.  Sesshoumaru ran his hands up and down her sides to try and take in as much of her as he could.  Then he rested his hands on her hips and pushed her forward a bit so that she could feel what she was doing to him.

 

Kagome gasped a little and quickly pushed him away from her.

 

"We-we can't do this Sesshoumaru," Kagome stated breathily.  "You...you're a teacher here; it's not right."

 

"You're not dating that wolf," Sesshoumaru told her.

 

Kagome laughed lightly and shook her head.  "No, no I won't date him.  But come on, it's free food."

 

Sesshoumaru did not suppress his chuckle at that. 

 

"So what do we do now?  We can't let any of this get out, it could mean your job," Kagome pointed out.  "I can't even let my friends know.  How is this going to work?"

 

"We'll cross that bridge when we get there," Sesshoumaru said as he leaned in to her again for another kiss.

 

Kagome closed her eyes in reflex and felt once again as his soft lips caressed hers.

 

Kagura closed the door quietly and leaned back against it on the outside of the room.  In all honesty, she had not thought that Sesshoumaru would lower himself to sneaking around with a student; but apparently she thought wrong.

 

She tapped her chin with her fingers in contemplation.  She may not go so far as to reveal Kagome and Sesshoumaru's little tryst; after all, that would mean that Sesshoumaru would be out of a job and may just end up in jail, then what would she have to look at? 

 

But she certainly was not going to make it easy on them.