- Text Size +

Demon Slayer

Reijiko 

Deep in the heart of Greyson City, about twenty minutes from Sango’s former location in the mountains, stood another woman with short hair the color of blood and eyes covered by slick, thin shades reflecting the moon’s silver light. Her location was a perch atop a grimy dumpster reeking of the smell of rotting garbage old and new hidden in one of the many alleyway labyrinths. Strangely, this woman didn’t seem to mind this stereotypically awful place; it was literally the only place she could go for seclusion; the one place where her boss couldn’t find her.

Thinking of her boss put the woman in an antsy state. She needed a well overdue smoke. Pulling out a half-empty cigarette box, she slipped her mid and index finger in the cardboard container and grasped the thin piece of combined paper and nicotine, stylishly yanking it free from the box before placing the butt of the cig in her mouth. After a few more moments, the cigarette was lit sending the woman back to world of serenity.

‘Breathe in, and breathe out ol’ girl…’ She thought.

It wasn’t long before her face was covered in the tiny cloud of smoke, then a device attached to her wrist began to beep; quietly calling for her attention. With a frustrated growl, the woman put out her freshly lit cig and answered the video-watch. The screen immediately flickered to an extremely pale child with hair to match the skin and blank eyes that were void of emotion. Though the little girl would have been commonly mistaken for a robot, she was just the opposite.

“What do you want Kanna?” The woman asked gruffly.

Before the child ‘Kanna’ could answer however, a more boisterous, older woman by the name of Kagura with the same crimson colored eyes as the red-head came in on the scene; a small smirk on her face.

“The boss is need of your presence Rei-Rei.” Kagura teased.

“I thought I told you never to call me that. My name is Reijiko.”

Kagura scoffed, “I don’t think it matters what your name is at this point, because you’re still gonna take the heat for that runaway demon-droid you let out of your sights.”

“I said I would find it!” Reijiko snapped.

“Ha! I guess it would a lot easier now that it’s been destroyed.”

“What?! How!?”

Kagura flipped black tresses before giving her red-head counterpart a sideways glance, “Our best guess is that one of the local demon slayers got to it before you did, so now the boss is pissed that his expensive prototype has been broken. Way to go Chickie.”

With that, the screen on Reijiko’s video-watch went black, leaving the woman to sigh out in part grief and part anger. Naraku entrusted the damned thing with her; to make sure that the demon-droid was functioning properly and to report any signs of weaknesses or malfunctions.

‘I guess inability to follow instructions of higher-ups is a pretty good sign of malfunction…’ She thought sarcastically.

Reijiko stood upright on the dumpster can, her boots echoing out the sound of pounding metal throughout the alleys. She leapt off into the streets and sidewalks of Greyson, high-tailing it to her destination; though she dreaded her own arrival.

“She’s on her way Boss.” Kagura said softly as she pulled out a fan to cool herself.

Little Kanna followed behind her elder holding what looked to be a mirror, the contents not showing a reflection but acting as a camera that followed Reijiko’s movements.

A deep voice elongating the word ‘excellent’ came from a man with pale skin tinted grey and hair that flowed to his lower back. His dark eyes now in a calm, deep brown color followed the screen on Kanna’s mirror. He clenched his jaw at the sight of Reijiko, however. Though she was his most trusted field-woman, this major slip-up could not and would not go unpunished. The secret of Naraku’s plan must kept hidden until the time to strike came upon them, and what really frustrated this man was now he knows that some demon slayer knows the weakness of his demon-droids when he, himself, didn’t. It was time to hatch a new plan. Thankfully one was already formulating in the back of his mind.