- Text Size +

For years, Sess had been having impossibly vivid dreams about the feudal era. The dreams were so incredibly lucent and realistic, Sess would swear upon waking up that it was almost as though he had been transported to the past. The atonal crashing of swords, the smell of rotting flesh, the sight of enormous castles all made him feel as though he were missing or forgetting something. Especially when in his dreams, a simpering toad creature or an adorable child appeared. Those had been rare occasions when they did happen, but ever since meeting Kagome they had been seen more often and the intensity of the dreams was increasing to the point he woke up shaking and in covered in sweat. As his unconscious mind spun out its contents tonight, however, a totally different dream took place.

This night along a moonlit stretch of beach he faced a dark mirror of himself. The other self wore a white silken kimono with ancient armor over the chest and some sort of pelt on the left shoulder. Gazing at it trying to identify what it was, Sess realized the dark image was missing its left arm. The left sleeve of the Kimono flapped emptily provoking a sympathetic reaction from his own left arm. Although Sess couldn't say exactly how he knew it, he was certain that he was facing his namesake.

"So then," Sesshoumaru drawled "you're supposed to be me; how disappointing."

Sess ignored the barb "Who are you?"

"You already know who I am, the question is do you know who you are?" Sesshoumaru sneered while stepping to within reach of Sess.

The underlying meaning of the question and that which it implied was as clear to Sess as the water lapping at his feet. "I know that I am not you no matter how closely we resemble each other."

Sesshoumaru back lit by the moon, narrowed his eyes "I find it hard to believe that any part of me so could be so stupid. The similarities between us should be enough to convince even the most hardened skeptic. You're fascinated by swords aren't you? Do you know why?"

"Most swords collectors would be enamored with swords. That's why they collect them."

Sesshoumaru seized Sess by the neck and whispered harshly "You witless fool. You collect them because you are seeking the birthright your father left you. That is why none of the swords you have fills that longing in you. Ask the woman, the answers lie in the past."

"I decide who I am," Sess gasped while trying to break the other's grip.

Sesshoumaru hurled him into the waters like in some violent baptism. "You cannot escape what you are meant to be."

Sess's eyes shot open and he breathed raggedly, his right hand immediately went to his left arm, as though checking to make sure it was still attached. Reassured he went to his apartment's small bathroom. Standing in darkness before the mirror, he hesitated a moment with his hand on the light switch. It was one of the hardest things he had ever done, turning on the light switch and facing himself. As the light spilled forth from the light fixtures, revealing only his normal features in the mirror, Sess let go of a breath he didn't even know he had been holding. Turning the faucets, he let the water pool in his hands before splashing himself with it. Feeling refreshed, he brought his gaze once again to the mirror. But this time instead of his normal reflection, he saw magenta stripes on his cheeks and a crescent moon on his forehead. What the hell? He blinked in confusion and then they were gone.

The next morning as Kagome sat down to a fresh bowl of oden, she was immensely irritated when the phone rang. Damnit, couldn't they have waited 15 minutes? Can't I enjoy oden in peace? Composing herself, she got up to answer the phone.

"Higurashi residence-,"

"Kagome its me Sess, we need to talk and I need your help. Can we meet, like immediately?"

"Yeah, I'll meet you at your place."

"Oh good," he said relief audible in his voice. "Would you bring that book of mythology I gave you also?"

"Sure."

The drive over was fairly short and when Kagome reached Sess's apartment she found him waiting outside his door, trembling slightly. He quickly grabbed her hands and pulled her in to where they could discuss things privately.

Sitting down on his futon he began what was obviously a rehearsed monologue, "Kagome, for several years now I've had the most amazingly realistic dreams that took place in the feudal era. In them I've seen fantastic battles and mind bending creatures but I was never able to make sense of why."

He looked up at her with blood shot eyes "Until last night. Last night…it was like looking in a dark mirror. It was me…but it wasn't. The other me, he was wearing a white Kimono, ancient armor, and was missing his left arm. Did I tell you I've dislocated my left arm several times? I had surgery recently to fix it. But his face it was like mine only…predatory. He had my eyes but they were cold as ice…he said 'ask the woman, the answers lie in the past.' I'm sure he was referring to you. Do you know something? Am I the one from that book?"

Kagome looked at him with conflict evident in her eyes. Sess looked as though he was about to suffer a breakdown and Kagome was torn between being truthful to the man she loved or trying to shield him from what she knew. Kagome didn't usually try to mask her expressions but right now she wished she had mastered the art because Sess could clearly see her inner conflict and looked at her with pleading eyes

"Kagome, please I need to know what I am. Who I am."

"Sess, you know the story of Sesshoumaru. The pure blooded son of a youkai who despised his half human brother and tried to steal the fabled Tessaiga from his brother numerous times. Ultimately though he joined with his half brother, Inuyasha to defeat a twisted creature named Naraku. In the course of the final battle he saved two humans, one of whom was a powerful priestess from a distant land." Kagome stopped for a moment, not sure how to proceed. The unbelievable truth was that she was that woman, that she had traveled through time, that she had personally known Sesshoumaru and Inuyasha. "The dream you had Sess, the reason Sesshoumaru told you to ask me about it, its because I am the priestess that cleansed the world of Naraku and reassembled the Shikon No Tama."

"I knew you were special but-"

"Let me finish before you make any remarks. It was roughly three years ago when it began. That well at my family shrine is somehow connected to the past and the Shikon no Tama is like the key. Its not as though I knew what was going to happen. One moment I'm just your average school girl, the next I'm falling through time as a centipede tried to assault me ranting about a jewel. I could write a book on the adventures I've had but it ends up being this: I am the reincarnation of the priestess that died protecting the jewel, I am the one who set free the hanyou Inuyasha. I was there at Naraku's death. On that day I thought my life was over. The one I loved and whom I thought loved me, Inuyasha, died for the sake of another. Sesshoumaru, the youkai lord you resemble so closely died in my arms. I can only guess why you look so much like him-

"It because I'm his reincarnation. I have to be."

"-but I won't leave you. No matter what."

"Kagome," Sess said as he pulled her back into his chest to lie down with him. "You're more special than I could have ever guessed."

For a few moments or for a few hours they just laid there each contemplating the dream and what it augured. "Kagome, the other…Sesshoumaru…he said the answers were in the past. Can you take me there? Is it possible to face whatever is there?"

So this is it; the present is still being pulled back by the past. I guess this is the way things have to be. We'll just have to face it together.

"Yes," she answered softly, "I'll take you there."

She rose from the bed and stretched, then turned around as Sess began to get up.

"This Friday we'll go. Bring stuff suitable for camping, we might as well stay the weekend."

"Camping eh?" Sess inquired as he brought Kagome closer and began to tickle her. "Sounds Romantic. Are you trying to seduce me?"

Kagome answered only in shrieks of laughter. Somehow managing to separate herself from her tormentor, she quickly grabbed a pillow and hurled it. "Me seduce you? You're the platinum angel that women dream about."

"A platinum angel? How flattering. It's good to know I'm on your mind." Sess said as he took in his arms one last time before showing her out.

"I'll call you to tell you what you should bring."