- Text Size +

 
        The final days of summer were upon them, and none-too-soon for Kuroihi’s liking. The heat of the day clung like a bubble around the castle-base with the wind offering no relief. The sun was sinking into the west as she made her way to a higher level of the castle where a series of drying lines were fastened. The opposite ends stretched to the top of one of the corner yagura towers, a simple pulley system allowing the lines to be rotated and the dried clothes brought within reach. From one of these, Kuroihi carefully removed a series of yukata and kimono belonging to Sesshoumaru. The young daiyoukai was adamant about allowing only his personal attendants to handle his clothing, convinced of the inferiority of the other servants. Having worked around them for nearly all her life, Kuroihi couldn’t say she blamed him.
 
        She folded each piece meticulously, set it neatly aside, and pulled down the next until she had a tall stack. Arms laden with clean garments, the half-demon made her way back down to the lower level of his wing. She was tucking the sun-scented clothes into one of the closets along the hallway beyond the bonsai-painted shouji doors when she heard it: footsteps and the clinking of armor coming down the hallway from the main castle.
 
            'Strange, I thought Lord Sesshoumaru was in his quarters. No one else wears their armor inside except-'
 
        A chill ran down her spine. Quickly, she closed the closet and padded to the bonsai-painted doors, cracking them just enough to peer into the hallway beyond. A servant donned in a floral and marigold summer yukata came around the corner at the far end, striding quickly toward her. Behind them, a long, bold shadow crawled its way along the polished floor and up the wall as the being in armor approached.
 
        Kuroihi straightened and slid one of the bonsai doors open fully to greet the General’s servant with an appropriate bow. The male servant came to a stop several feet in front of her, examining her briefly before giving her an appropriately shallow bow in return. His voice was urgent but kind as he spoke with all his master’s authority.
 
            “Please inform the Lord Sesshoumaru that his honorable father, the Lord General, seeks an audience with him presently.”
 
            Kuroihi blinked, panicking for only a breath as she realized the creeping shadow down the hall belonged to the General himself. “I-immediately,” she stammered, excusing herself to bolt across the width of the dim inner hall to the doors with cobalt and fuchsia stripes.
 
            She listened for a moment to confirm Lord Sesshoumaru was, indeed, in the tatami room before entering silently. She did not need to await his call today, as he had given all three of his servants the freedom to shuffle about as they pleased so long as they did not disturb him. He was seated on his usual zabuton, golden eyes fixed on his low table across which a scroll a was spread, baring his native script. Aoki was knelt near the door, and she shot Kuroihi an irritated glance as the half-demon moved to kneel beside to her. Kuroihi was growing used to Aoki’s constant vigilance, but it still made her hesitate before leaning closer and whispering to Aoki about the General’s impending arrival.
 
            Aoki’s shock blue eyes widened and began darting around the room, seeking any place that would require attention. When Kuroihi did not move or speak again, Aoki nudged her roughly, indicated their lord, and Kuroihi realized Aoki meant for her to be the one to tell him. The two females locked eyes with each other, holding a fierce, but silent, argument. Aoki’s lips pursed until they turned white, and Kuroihi understood she’d lost. She straightened her posture before bowing formally to Sesshoumaru, tone submissive.
 
            “My lord, please forgive the intrusion.” She could feel Sesshoumaru’s jyaki pulse with irritation and press in on her. She held tightly to her voice, however, fearing the scolding for remaining silent more than the one she might receive in response to the news. “Your honorable father approaches presently and seeks an audience.” Sesshoumaru’s jyaki roiled, but Kuroihi kept her eyes on the floor.
 
         “Is that so…” The frost in the lord’s voice matched the ice in the glare he shot at the door. He perked his ears, listening beyond the shoji doors and found the half-breed was, unfortunately, correct. He drew his jyaki back for only a moment, giving his servants silent permission to move.
 
        The females leaped into action, brushing at the tatami mats here and there to remove the non-existent dust, tugging and smoothing at the screens that separated this room from the rest of their master’s quarters, and fetching and arranging a spare zabuton across from him. Sesshoumaru simply began rolling up his scroll, experiencing none of the same urgency his servants did.
 
        A soft tapping of claws on the wood frame announced the General’s arrival, and Aoki fell quickly into a statuesque kneel near one of the walls. Kuroihi examined the room one final time before kneeling at the door. Her master lowered his chin just so, eyes fixed on the door as Kuroihi slid it open to welcome the General and his single attendant.

                                                                 ---------------------------         
Sesshoumaru continued to glower until a moment before his father’s entry. The male was encroaching on Sesshoumaru’s privacy once again, something the young daiyoukai absolutely loathed. It was considered proper, and Sesshoumaru’s preference, for his father to summon Sesshoumaru to meet him in a neutral location; yet here he was in Sesshoumaru’s private quarters. Again.
 
        The marigold-clad servant gave the room a cursory examination and, finding it acceptable, shuffled quickly inside and out of his master’s way to join Aoki. As the General himself entered, all three attendants pressed their foreheads to the floor in bows of the deepest respect, shivering as the atmosphere of the room shifted. Sesshoumaru’s presence filled his room with a stifling weight that made the air around him prickle. He was frigid and tense, like a bow string overdrawn to the point of snapping. The General, on the other hand, was tranquil and warm, carrying with him the wisdom of his many centuries. His presence was enormous, dwarfing Sesshoumaru’s, and negating his son’s suffocating tension. For his own servant, the chill of Sesshoumaru was unnerving. For Aoki and Kuroihi, the General’s serenity offered a temporary respite.
 
        The long twin-tailed mokomoko cloak that fell down the General’s back flicked out from under him on its own as he settled himself comfortably on the cushion across from his son. He wore only his plated cuirass today, knowing his full complement of armor would damage the fragile tatami weaves. The young daiyoukai offered his father an appropriate bow as the hanyou servant slid the door closed, and the older demon nodded in return.
 
            “Good afternoon, chichi-ue. To what do I owe the honor of your presence?” Sesshoumaru’s tone was respectful despite his lips being drawn into a tight line.
 
            The General frowned slightly. “Always so brusque; can you not spare even a moment of polite conversation for your father? As I recall, your mother taught you that art.”
 
            Sesshoumaru tilted his head, considering his response. “Forgive me, Father. I presumed you came here on a matter of some significance. I wished only to tend to that matter as soon as possible. I intended no disrespect.”
 
            The General merely grunted in response, displeased, but not so concerned as to pursue the matter. An awkward silence fell between them, Sesshoumaru waiting for his father’s words and the General gauging the best way to continue.
 
        Kuroihi was still knelt at the door behind the master of the castle-base, but was positioned further along the wall and so had a good view of both males. As they stared each other down, she dared to sneak a peek. At first glance, they were near-mirror images of each other; ivory hair, golden eyes, bold markings across alabaster skin and elegant features. Even their postures were similar: straight backs and squared shoulders giving each an air of regality and grace. Once the initial impression wore off however, the differences were painfully clear to see, like summer and winter forced to confront one another. A tense moment passed as the two daiyoukai continued sizing each other up.
 
        Finally, the General broke the silence. “I desire that you travel East to see to a matter of interest that has come to my attention.”
 
        Sesshoumaru’s lips quirked. “Indeed, and what matter would that be?”
 
        “The wolves along the eastern border have taken to harassing and slaughtering the greater spirits in the surrounding mountains and forests. This will not be permitted to continue. You will seek them out on my behalf and convince then to cease such behavior.”
 
        Blinking his honey-gold eyes slowly, Sesshoumaru calmed his irritation before speaking again. “If I may, this matter seems to be more of a concern than an interest.” His father’s affirmative nod permitted him to continue. “Then, I wonder why father does not choose to see to it himself, so that his will might be enforced in a proper and accurate fashion.”
        Touga smirked and hummed with amusement. He read the deference in Sesshoumaru’s speech and tone for the attempt to avoid the assignment that it was. “This is but one matter I must see to, and I trust in your abilities to rectify the situation satisfactorily.”
 
        Sesshoumaru’s lips pursed slightly. “It would seem the matter is of lesser importance than your other concerns. Surely, as a lesser concern, it could wait for your more…skilled…attention.”
 
        “I desire you to handle it, Sesshoumaru.” Touga’s voice rose, heavy with authority, and Kuroihi and Aoki flinched. “If you must, consider it a training exercise.”
 
        “Training, father?” Sesshoumaru tilted his head, indifferent to his father’s display. “Of what sort?”
 
        “Negotiations. Your wit and wile does well enough here with people you are familiar with, but I desire you to practice with others as well. Show me you are capable of convincing this wolf pack to find alternatives to the greater spirits in their area for whatever need is being met by their slaughter.”
 
        Sesshoumaru waited a moment for his father to continue. When he did not, the young daiyoukai blinked again. “To what end?” The General blinked as well, puzzled as he echoed Sesshoumaru’s question. “Yes, father. For what gain? Every effort should be to some end for some form of influence or acquisition of greater power; so to what end are the wolves to be convinced to turn their attention away from the spirits?”
 
        “Have you no understanding or consideration for the wilds, my son? All spirits, great and small, encourage the trees to grow and bear fruit, they support the mountains and tend to the creatures of water and land on which we rely for sustenance. Even human spirits play a role.” He marked Sesshoumaru’s disgusted sneer at the mention of mortals. “Yes, Sesshoumaru, even the humans. These spirits keep my lands healthy and prosperous, and should be looked after.”
 
        Still nursing his riled antipathy toward the mere thought of the mortal creatures, Sesshoumaru allowed his words and tone to sharpen. “And yet, dear father, the continued rapacity of these beings over the many centuries and millennia has not rendered the land barren or the lake beds dry…”
 
        Touga growled, causing even his own servant to shrink away. “Do you fancy yourself old and wise already, pup? Are the words of your own father meaningless to you?”
 
        Sesshoumaru’s eyes slid closed and his lips pursed. It was as much a concession as Touga would get today, and he knew it. He continued to growl, substantiating his authority and dominance in the only language that seemed capable of reaching his headstrong spawn. Tiring of the debate which should have never begun, he rose to his feet to loom over the young male before him. Sesshoumaru maintained his posture as his father’s shadow fell over him.
 
        “To the east with you, my son. Convince the wolves to find other means to accomplish their goals and to let the spirits alone. I expect news of your success within the week.” The General decreed.
 
        Sesshoumaru finally moved, bowing his head with the minimum required amount of deference his father would permit. As the older demon turned to leave, Kuroihi sat up just enough to allow her to slide the door open for him. His eyes fell on her and he paused. It took him a moment, but he did recall the hanyou whelp he’d been given almost two centuries prior. He would not have been surprised to see it still shuffling about the castle had he not found it in his son’s dark slate grey uniform.
 
        He tucked the knowledge away for later contemplation. Once the space offered was sufficient, Touga strode through the doorway, across the dim hallway and into the rest of the castle, his servant close behind him.
 
            Once the General had departed, the younger daiyoukai’s face twisted into a venomous glower which he fixed on the cushion his father had occupied. Neither Aoki nor Kuroihi dared to move now, lest they draw his ire.
 
            'Are you testing me, father, by assigning me this task? Will you now rush to the aide of every insignificant sprite?' Sesshoumaru thought.
 
        He sneered, disgusted by his father’s bleeding heart. As far as he was concerned, the wolves in the East were only behaving in their natural manner. Despite his avid disagreement, however, Sesshoumaru understood the need for his father’s will to be enforced in order to maintain control of his lands. The thought did not quell his anger, but did provide it a constructive outlet, and Sesshoumaru allowed his anger to shift focus. The minutes ticked by as he plotted his journey along a mental map. When he spoke again, both servants flinched.
 
            “Aoki,” he said softly, “Have my armor and weapons readied. I am leaving.”
 
            The older female bowed and slipped away to comply, glad for the excuse to escape her master. Sesshoumaru’s gaze then fell on the lingering half-demon. With both Kazawa and Aoki gone, only it remained to tend to his needs. He required his hair to be braided, but the thought of the mortal-tainted creature touching him made his skin crawl.
 
            “You.” He growled, and its tufted ears perked attentively. “Prepare my traveling boots.”
 
            He would manage his hair himself this time.
 
                                                                 ----------------------------------
 
        The sky was still dark when Sesshoumaru left his father’s castle-base. From the grove beyond the walls, he rose effortlessly into the sky, skimming along the cloud tops as he released his human-like guise.
 
        Honey gold shifted to blue; the whites of his eyes flashed and bled crimson with his demonic might. His body quivered, rippling smoothly into the shape of an enormous white dog with long, feathered ears, wicked claws, and a sneering maw. His mokomoko became a thick band of fur encircling his shoulder and torso, his distinctive facial markings remaining to give vivid contrast to his shimmering coat. At his age of only a few centuries, he was a far cry from his father’s magnificence. Still, the swift shadow he cast along the ground struck apprehension into the hearts of the lesser creatures below as he bound across the sky to the East.
 
        A sylvan landscape spread out beneath him, eventually giving way to vast hills and plains dotted with colonies great and small where humans festered. The sun broke the horizon and slowly crawled along the endless blue expanse above him, the clouds dark and pregnant with rain at his feet. Mountains rose high, their sharp peaks slicing through the lower hanging clouds, their roots diving down into sprawling valleys and jagged ravines. Sprites and imps and ogres and all creatures on the ground paused momentarily to observe his passing with suspicious glances. A medley of scents rose to meet his nose; wildflowers, crisp brooks and stagnant swamps, charred flesh, and finally…the smell of wolves.
 
        Sesshoumaru slowed his pace to inspect the panorama below. The tribe he sought resided at the foot of a small mountain, and he found them easily by tracking their unique scent. Several of their number were spread out across the field and lower crags of the mountain. They were scouts, he presumed, judging from their basic armor and weapons as well as the presence of true wolves accompanying them. Unlike greater demons, wolf demons were incapable of changing their shapes, but their human-like appearance was only skin deep. They possessed the same strength, fortitude, and longevity of other demons, and the same savage pack-focused natures of the wolves they were able to command. Considered higher than other beastly bipedal creatures, they were still lesser than Sesshoumaru, and he gloated to himself as he chose a place to land.
 
        The scouts below spotted him as he descended and raised the alarm to the rest of their pack higher in the mountains with shouts, barks, and howls. Sesshoumaru landed heavily, intent on and successful in knocking several of the scouts off their feet. His chest rumbled with a growl of amusement. The sound quickly rose into his throat as a snarl, and he curled his lips to flash his fangs at the beings lesser than himself. Noxious fumes from his toxic saliva began pooling around his paws, leaving acrid splotches along the ground and melting away every rock and leaf it touched. His size may not have been enough to bring them to heel, but his poison usually did the trick.
 
        The scouts scampered away from him, taking to higher ground on the crags of the mountain side and hollering for their alpha. These underlings understood only that the White Inu tribe was dominant in these lands, and one of them was here; and much as Sesshoumaru enjoyed tormenting them with his own vicious barks and snapping at their feet, he was here for a purpose. Once he had chased them further up the mountain side, he took a small step back and allowed his form to condense into the human-like appearance most demons recognized.
 
        His hair was pulled back into a braid that hung to his elbows and he was garbed in his usual white kimono with dark geometric patterns along one side of his collar and decorating the lengths of his sleeves. His hakama were gathered at his ankles and tucked comfortably into his traveling boots. Scaled armor hugged his torso, and a daishou set of blades, one shorter tanto blade and one longer katana, was tucked securely into his obi belt. It was his markings that they knew to look for though, which called to the noble heritage of both his influential mother and domineering father. In this more compact form, they were able to see the markings in all their glory.
 
        The wolves on the mountain side above him slowly lowered their weapons, but kept tight hold of them, ready to raise again at a moment’s notice. Their anxiety pleased him, but it was nothing compared to the terror he had seen his father’s presence incite. He wanted that reputation for himself. It was his birthright, after all; what could be more natural? He could not make this encounter about himself, though, for it would anger and undermine his father, neither of which he had any intention of doing.
 
            For now.
 
            He glanced up to the nearest scout. “Do you know who I am, wolf?”
 
            The male simply nodded, apprehensive.
 
            “Then I expect the presence of your alpha.” The male nodded again, motioning toward a nearby cliff and Sesshoumaru turned his gaze to it expectantly.
 
        A moment later, a trio of humanoids joined the scouts, attended by a handful of wolves in their natural bestial forms. The new demons appraised Sesshoumaru with sharp eyes, the elder of the three stepping forward dominantly. Sesshoumaru tucked his arms neatly into his sleeves.
 
            “What do you want, dog? We’ve already paid our tribute to the General,” The male growled, arms crossed over his bare chest.
 
            “Your paltry offering to my honored father is not my concern today, wolf,” Sesshoumaru said coolly, taking pleasure in the momentary shock that flashed across the alpha’s face. Had he not realized before to whom he was speaking? “Rather, I am here to address a series of incidents that have come to his attention. Tell me of the situation concerning the woodland spirits inhabiting the forests along this mountain range.”
 
            The alpha chuckled. “Those pests? They’re easy prey, nothing more to it.”
 
            While Sesshoumaru agreed, he was here for a purpose. He blinked slowly at the lesser male. “I fail to see how mere sprites could be considered viable targets.” *
 
            “I got pups to train and a pack to feed. Not that you would know anything about that.” Sesshoumaru tilted his head slightly in question and the wolf continued. “We don’t get to lounge around a castle all day, pampered and lethargic. Every wolf here works for their keep…”
 
            Pampered? Lethargic? The sting to his pride blurred the rest of the alpha’s diatribe in Sesshoumaru’s ears, and he leveled an icy gaze at the male. “I see… So that is your opinion of me.”
 
            The alpha wolf paused as crimson began feathering around the edges of Sesshoumaru’s eyes, sharpening his cavalier expression. “Is this also, perhaps, your opinion of my honored father; undisputed ruler of the Western Province; your own lord and master; your own alpha?”
 
            The wolves looked to their alpha, who knew he could not back down; not in front of them. He bared his fangs, squared his shoulders, and growled. “I have no alpha, especially not that mongrel.”
 
            Sesshoumaru’s claws stretched into readiness, tone as acrid as the poison that dripped from his fingertips. “Is. That. So…”

                                                                         ------------------------
        
That afternoon, father and son met in the grove just beyond the castle walls. The air was chilled and heavy with the coming downpour. The weather reflected the general’s mood as he listened to Sesshoumaru’s report, brow twitching.
 
            “Who struck first?” The elder demon asked, tone controlled and fists held firmly at the small of his back.
 
            “I did, naturally,” Sesshoumaru responded nonchalantly, his arms tucked leisurely into his sleeves.
 
            The general forced himself to remain calm. “‘Naturally’?”
 
            “Not only was your will and prowess being questioned, father but I, too, was challenged. I simply answered both appropriately and in kind.” Sesshoumaru responded nonchalantly.
 
            The general’s lips drew into a tight line. “Were any slain?”
 
            Sesshoumaru inspected the branches of a nearby cherry tree, his tone ringing with mock and disappointment. “No, they relented quickly enough and groveled their apologies. Rejoice, father, they have given their words to obey your command and leave the spirits in peace.”
 
            The elder daiyoukai sighed. “That was not entirely the purpose of you going, my son.”
 
            It was Sesshoumaru’s turn to twitch his brow with irritation. “You defined only that the wolves be convinced to let the forest spirits alone. This has been done. What more was there to be accomplished?”
 
            “It is the manner in which you went about it that I wish to address, my son. Violence should be reserved for when it is needed, not employed when it is convenient.” Sesshoumaru gave him a puzzled look. “You must learn the art of diplomacy, learn to employ your words and stance as a weapon equaling the efficiency of your claws.”
 
            “One’s standing must often be reinforced in the language all demons understand,” Sesshoumaru argued, but his father’s silence told him he would not yield on the matter. He resisted the urge to scowl his displeasure and continued. “And how shall I learn this skill, father? Will I be returning to the home of my honored mother, who is so fond of such prattle?” The very thought of having to sit through his mother’s paltry and endless chatter and be forced to participate made his hackles rise.
 
            The General slid those marigold eyes to his son, a slight smirk pulling at his face. “Do not tempt me, pup…” His tone was filled with warning. “You will accompany me on my trip to the north and observing my discussions with the leader of the Tengu tribe. I am leaving in one month’s time. Until then, you will practice both words and weapons with Rekkonji.”
 
            Sesshoumaru swallowed his bile-like retort and closed his eyes, taking a slight step back to show his concession. This was not a battle he could win. “As you wish, chichi-ue.”
 
        The General nodded, and then turned his attention to the clouds, inspecting the weather as small droplets began to plink to the ground around him. Sesshoumaru took advantage of his distraction to excuse himself, sweeping through the courtyard and down the halls to his wing of the castle.
 
        He made no attempt to control his jyaki as he stalked through the corridors, which thrashed and roiled to reflect the rage boiling inside him. He slashed through the bonsai-painted shouji doors, sending them clattering off their tracks to the floor. They narrowly missed crashing into the prostrated Aoki and hanyou creature, who had surely sensed him coming and prepared themselves. He felt no guilt about it, enacting the same violence on the fuchsia and cobalt set and melting into the darkness of his inner sanctum.
 
        'How could father enact such a punishment upon this Sesshoumaru?' he seethed, knocking over a tall, wrought iron lamp stand. The unlit lamp clattered to the ground, oil splattering across the wood floor as Sesshoumaru continued to pace angrily. 'Words are for those too weak to enforce their wills otherwise, for begging and groveling to one’s betters. I have no use for such things.'
 
        'Or, perhaps, is this a matter of learning the strategies of my enemies through such an exchange? What purpose would that serve, when they will be dispatched before they are able to enact them?' He clenched his fist, glowering at the illuminated paper door that led out onto his patio. 'And for that jackal of all things attempt to instruct me…  I do not understand, father, I do not understand!'
 
        The rising thrum of the rain served only to intensify his frustration and smoldering rage. So, when a soft creak alerted him to an intruder in his inner sanctum some time later, he was already in a fit. He snapped his gaze back to focus on the slinking figure edging cautiously into the darkness. The ears atop its head perked and swiveled as it sought him out, its rich and terrified scent removing any doubt of who the figure was.
 
            “…My..lord?..,” Its voice quivered slightly.
 
            He bared a fang at the half-breed through the darkness and growled. “What.”
 
            It flinched, but the reaction brought him none of the usual enjoyment. “I-“
 
            “What?!” he barked again.
 
            The creature dropped its head, ears flattening. “Your humble servant wishes only to ensure that your honorable self is not in want of anything.”
 
        The angle of its body and general manner told him the creature could not perceive him here, the same way it could not perceive him in the forest on the moonless night. This only served to irritate him further. He allowed his footfalls to sound against the wood as he bore down upon the creature, grasping the braid it had pinned into a crown on the back of its head, and flinging it back into the tatami room.
 
         It bit back a yelp as it skidded across the mats, quickly rolling to press its face to the floor in a bow as he snarled. “You will know when I want something, servant, because I will demand it. Now, get. Out.”
 
        The creature scrambled to its feet and out of the room, and Sesshoumaru listened as its hurried footsteps faded down the hall to the rest of the castle. In the distance, he could hear the pleased chuckles of both Kazawa and Aoiki and he quickly understood what must have transpired.
 
        The fools; did they think he would not discover their ploy? Rage rang in his ears, his fists clenched until his claws nearly sliced into his own flesh. Then, all at once, he relaxed, settling into a livid tranquility. Brute force would not communicate his displeasure this time, not to Kazawa and Aoki, but he knew what would…