- Text Size +

A hand was clasped over Brent's mouth, and Shippo's as well. They were up in the trees after having been grabbed and hoisted up. Looking down Brent could just barely make out the dopey Demons below looking around confused. With the Brothers walking out of sight, and the situation being deemed safe, the mystery saviors take their hands away and speak.

                                

            "Are you two all right?"

 

            "Is anyone injured?"

 

            The two voices were from men, and despite the Demons having lumbered away they still spoke quietly.

 

            "No we're fine. Thanks for the assist!" Brent whispers back.

 

            "You guys are Ninjas!" Shippo squeaked quietly.

 

            Brent took the time to look at his savior, but didn't see what he expected. The one who helped him into the tree was a younger man, but dressed in ordinary clothing with leaves plastered around on them.

 

            "Yes, we are. We're glad to see you two OK."

 

            "Come, we need to head to the village should they try to search the area again."

 

            The Ninjas leap down from the branches and land gracefully. Brent however has to climb down since he lacks such poise. Once he is safely on the ground the Ninja who had Shippo is already walking with the little Fox.

 

            "Hey, again, thank you. I would have ended up as their lunch if you hadn't shown up!" Brent and the Ninja start to follow along behind the other two.

 

            "We had heard the Demons talking, and when we saw you and that little Fox we had to help. My name is Hiro."

 

            "Well you're certainly MY hero!" Brent says.

 

            There's an awkward silence as Hiro just stares at him with a confused look.

 

            "Uhhh...Nevermind. Bad joke. My name is Brent, and the little guy up there is Shippo."

 

            "Brent...such a strange name. You're not from here are you?"

 

            "Yeah...Kind of a long story how I got here."

 

            "Perhaps there is a short version?"

 

            So while the four of them headed toward the village Brent gave a brief explanation of how he ended up in Japan, and how he and Shippo were separated from their group. By the time the tale was over they had all exited the forest and were immediately entering the village of Ninjas. It looked almost no different than Kaede's village. People were milling about doing work, kids were running and playing, it all seemed normal. Though if one were to look closely, all the villagers had some sort of Ninja gear with them.

 

            "Please follow me, you'll need to see my Father." Hiro takes the lead as Shippo and Brent follow along.

 

            It isn't long before the two friends find themselves inside the house of the leader of the village of Ninjas. Hiro opens the door to a room where several men are standing before his Father. They were discussing something which neither Brent nor Shippo could make out before Hiro stepped forward.

 

            "Father? We have found two more."

 

            All the men stop talking and turn to look back at Hiro. His father steps forward with a stern look on his face.

 

            "Another Demon attack?"

           

            "Yes Father. We were just barely able to rescue these two." Hiro steps aside and motions toward their two guests.

 

            "My name is Genji. Please relax. We are glad to see you safe." The Ninja leader's face changed instantly to that of a more welcoming smile.

 

            "We should be thanking you! Those Demons were about to gobble us up!" Shippo smiled as he looked up at Genji.

 

            "Really, thank you. I wouldn't have been able to handle the two guys that were on us. I barely managed one!" Brent said with a sigh of relief.

 

            "You are one of the lucky few to survive the recent attacks in the area. Just a few days ago we housed a soldier, and did all that we could to nurse him back to health. However, his wounds were too great and he passed away. How come you two are alone?"

 

            "We were separated from our friends. There's a Demon after Brent here, and during her attack he and I ended up in a river and got swept away!" Shippo said with a glance at his tall human friend.

 

            "There's a Demon trying to take your life?" Hiro said looking worried.

 

            "She thinks that I killed her brother, but it was Inuyasha who actually did it."

 

            "Inuyasha?"

 

            "He's a Half-Demon! And a strong one too! He travels with us, and a Monk, a Demon Slayer, and a Priestess!" Shippo squeaks.

 

            Brent made a confused look at the little Fox. "Kagome is a Priestess?"

 

            "She's a reincarnation of one anyway."

 

            "Well it seems you are safe for the moment from harm. Now if you will excuse us we still have matters to discuss on the situation concerning these attacks." Genji bowed, with Brent and Shippo following suit.

 

            It was as Hiro was showing them the way out that something caught Brent's eye. Off to the side, standing up against the wall, was a gun. He stopped for a moment and looked over at it.

 

            "Is that what I think it is? I thought Ninja's didn't use guns?" Brent said as he pointed at the weapon.

 

            "We do not. That belonged to the soldier who died. It's called a Tanegashima." Hiro said.

 

            The weapon was short in length, similar to that of a sawed-off shotgun in the modern era. It had one barrel, the flintlock latch, and a curved grip. The wood that created the base of it looked gorgeous; a deep and rich earthy color. It looked as though it had never been used.

 

            "Too bad it's not like a modern gun...I could really use it..." Brent said to himself quietly as he stood up.

 

            It was as they were approaching the front of the house to leave that someone barged in yelling.

 

            "LORD GENJI! LORD GENJI! COME QUICKLY!  THERE'S A BAND OF DEMONS!"

 

            As soon as Shippo, Hiro, and Brent heard this they rushed outside. What they saw was the worst thing they could have expected. Shippo let out a yell the moment they saw the large group of Demons standing at the edge of the village. And worst of all, the Bat Demon and two Oni Brothers were at the front of the group; a bandage was wrapped over the Bat's stab wound. When he saw Brent he sneered and yelled out.

 

            "THAT'S HIM! IN THE RED CLOTHING! HE'S THE ONE WE'RE AFTER!"

 

            Parents were already rushing their children away from the large group of Demons. There had to be at least twenty of them! Lord Genji had just come outside and was looking furious.

 

            "Hiro, gather the children and take them inside." Genji's gaze never left the group as his son urged the younger members of the village into their house. "What is it you want here?!" The Ninja Lord yelled.

 

            "We want THAT human right there!" The Bat pointed right at Brent with Shippo now on his shoulder. Lord Genji didn't even bother to look away.

 

            "That won't happen! We aren't the type to negotiate with Demons! Brent, you and your friend get inside, now!"

 

            "What?! No way! I'm not letting you-hey!" Before Brent could protest further, Hiro appeared and yanked him back inside the house and toward the room with the children. "Are you kidding me?! Let me back out there! I'm not going to let you guys do this! I can fight!"

 

            "I'm sorry, but I must honor my Father's wishes. Besides, we must watch after them." Hiro pointed toward all the children. The youngest one's were looking frightened and sitting toward the back of the group.

 

            "Brent, I hate to say it, but you're no match for those guys! Even with a jewel shard in your chest!" Shippo squeaked.

 

            All three of them stopped as they heard fighting begin outside.

 

            "Have no fear. Everyone in the village knows how to fight. We'll be fine." Hiro reassured them with a smile.

 

            "You know how strong Demons are right? I certainly hope that-" But before Brent could finish, Hiro's father was flung through the door and straight into him. Both of them were out cold, and the children began yelling as two Demons entered the room. Brent had fallen back from the sudden intrusion and Shippo had fallen from his shoulder. When they both looked up they were greeted by the two Oni Brothers.

 

            "Well well well! Lookey who we found!"

 

            "Just the human we were looking for!"

 

            The Brother's target scrambled to the wall and promptly grabbed the gun.

 

            CRICK! Brent pulled the matchlock back. "You take one step closer and I'll blow your head off!" If he could take out just one with the gun then his chances in a close-quarters fight with the other would be far better.

 

            "What's that thing?"

 

            "It looks harmless! Just grab him!"

 

            "I WARNED YOU!" Brent yelled.

 

            ...Click...Click Click...

 

            "Oh come on..." Crick! Click! The gun didn't fire; no matter how many times he pulled the matchlock back.

 

            "Looks like your little weapon there failed you!" The Brothers both smiled as they neared closer; claws outstretched toward him.

 

            Raising the gun up in front of himself, Brent bashed one of the attackers in the face with the grip of the gun and kicked back the other one.

 

            "Shippo get back!"

 

            "Ohhhhh this looks bad! We can't fight these guys!" The little Fox began shaking as the children cried behind him.

 

            As the Demons recovered, Brent swapped the Tanegashima to his left hand, and took out the Tanto with his right. He couldn't let these fiends get him, or worse, hurt these children and Shippo. Anything would work right now. The shard in his chest did very little for him, and wished that it did more. He would give his life to save Shippo, the children, and the village if need be...

 

            "Oh you stupid little idiot!" The Brother with a bloody nose screeched.

 

            "You're gonna go to our leader in PIECES!" The other said as he clutched his gut.

 

            At that moment a glow began to fill the room. Brent looked down not just from the glow, but also the power he was feeling in his left hand. The metal on the gun was glowing a brilliant white! What was this? Brent raised the gun once more and aimed for the Demon Brother on the right.

 

            "You think that thing frightens us? You miserable-GYAAAAAAAAH!!!"

 

            A mildly loud shot rang out in the room as what looked like a beam of light pierced right through the Demon's body leaving a gaping hole. The bloodied Demon looked over in shock; his brother stood there frozen for a moment before he finally fell backward, and burst into light. He was gone!

 

            "My..My Brother! You...you evil little-YEAAAAAAAAAGH!!!"

 

            Brent didn't let him finish as he pointed the glowing weapon at him and fired. Another gaping hole right in the middle of the chest, and then he burst into nothingness.

 

            All the children had stopped screaming and crying. Shippo stood there in awe; his jaw slack and wide open. Brent was looking at his new weapon completely confused; yet eternally grateful.

 

            "Brent...How did you do that?!" The tiny Fox yelled with a smile.

 

            "I...I don't know!" Brent's attention suddenly went to the noise he heard outside, and his resolve was quickly decided. "Shippo you stay here and watch after them! I've got to help everyone in the village!" He sprinted to the busted down door and stopped as Shippo called out to him.

 

            "You can't go! There's too many! I'm responsible for you!"

 

            "You got that backwards, now stay here! No questions!" Getting the final word in, Brent dashed off, his footsteps echoing away.

 

            "AHHHHHHH! IF HE GETS HURT INUYASHA IS GONNA KILL ME! OHHHHHHHH!" Shippo wailed as he panicked holding his head.

 

            Outside of Lord Genji's house there was total chaos. Ninjas disappearing and dodging attacks, Demons snarling and yelling as they strike and are struck. Shurikens cutting through the air, claws clumsily slicing at flesh and then nothing. A scream rang out as one of the Ninjas was caught in the leg by one of the Demons. Blood spilled down his leg as he lay on the ground gritting his teeth at his assailant.

 

            "Your leader should have given up that human. Now you will die for it!" The Oni yelled with his raspy voice as he raised his blood-tinged claws.

 

            Facing his killer, the Ninja waited for the blow, ready to die. His life was not the one to end though. Instead, a crack rang out and a beam of light pierced the Demon's arm. He screamed in pain as a hole was left in his arm. The scream was then silenced as another beam pierced his chest; causing him to burst into light. The Ninja stared in awe as the event unfolded before him. When he looked around for his savior he saw that young man running toward him wielding the weapon of the dead soldier!

 

            "Can you stand? How bad is it?" The young man asked him as he kneeled down near him; keeping half his attention on the fight around them.

 

            "I can't get up...It's too bad..." The Ninja winced as he tried to move his leg.

 

            Another one came running up, a woman, looking worried.

 

            "Let me help! Give me your arm!" The woman and Brent helped him up to his feet.

 

            "We need to get him to the house! Lord Genji and his son are out cold and the children are all still inside! My little friend needs help guarding them and-" Brent gets cut off as another shout of pain echoes through the village.

 

            "Please! You must help us! I'll get him into the house! I saw what that weapon can do!" The woman pleaded as she wrapped her other arm around her comrade's waist.

 

            "I already planned on it. Get him to safety and stay there!" The young gun-wielding man rushed toward where the scream came from, and fired his weapon as he ran.

 

            Inside the house there seemed to be an argument going on. Shippo was currently at wit's end with one of the children who was voicing their opinion on the situation.

 

            "Your friend will get killed out there! He doesn't have the training like my mother and father do!" The child yelled.

           

            "My friend is as tough as them! Maybe even tougher! He can handle those Demons! Just wait and see!" Shippo yelled back defiantly. Surely with his new weapon in hand, Brent could save them! That would should this kid! He'll be eating his words soon enough!

 

            Around that time two adults came in; one was limping and bleeding badly. When they entered the room they saw their Lord and his son lying off to the side; still unconscious. One of the children ran over yelling the moment they realized who had walked in.

 

            "MOM! DAD!" The same kid that had been arguing with Shippo was now running over to his parents. "Are you ok? What happened?!"

 

            "That young man wearing the red shirt saved your father!"

 

            "He...he did?" The little boy looked over to Shippo, but noticed him running for the door. "Where are you going? It's dangerous!"

 

            "I have to help Brent! He's my responsibility!"

 

            And before anyone could do anything the Fox Demon was out the door; running on all fours as fast as he could. All the fighting and shouting rang louder as Shippo exited the house. It was absolute chaos outside. Everywhere Ninjas were running and jumping around with Demons hot on their trails. Frantically, he scanned the area searching for his friend. Off in the distance Shippo heard several shots go off that sounded like the two Brent fired in the house. Sprinting toward the noise he shouted out Brent's name several times. The response he got in return was not was he was expecting. From between two of the huts nearby he heard screaming...but the screams didn't sound human...and still screaming were about five Demons running away from something. And then a thunderous battle roar reached Shippo's ears.

 

            "RRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!"

 

            Shippo watched as Brent came running after the Demons screaming his head off at them looking utterly fierce. Stopping and raising his new weapon, holding it with both hands, Brent fired off five shots. Each one made their mark in a Demon's back; sending them straight to the Netherworld. He stood there, chest heaving, and still looking full of fire. When he heard a small voice call out his name his look shot straight over to Shippo, and changed to worry.

 

            "Shippo?! What are you doing?! Get out of here!"

 

            As Brent's focus was entirely on his little Fox friend he failed to notice a Demon sneaking up from behind him. Shippo saw him immediately and leaped into the air.

 

            "FOX FIRE!"

 

            Blue flames shot out from his hands and past Brent, who flinched off to the side, and consumed the Demon. Not missing the chance, Brent aims and fires, creating another disappearing act. When the flaming Demon disappeared Brent's attention went right back to Shippo.

 

            "I appreciate the help but you gotta get out of here!"

 

            "Hey! If it weren't for me that Demon would have nabbed you!"

 

            "You distracted me in the first place!"

 

            "Now you sound like Inuyasha being so ungrateful!"

 

            "I SAID I APPRECIATE IT!" Brent remarked exasperatedly.

 

            When a scream filled the air the two of them stopped arguing immediately and ran to the source. A lone woman was injured and surrounded by several Demons, all Bats and Onis.

 

            "We have to save her!" Shippo squeaked.

 

            "I got it! OVER HERE YOU BASTARDS!"

 

            Brent hastily began to fire missing half of his shots. It was hard to tell just how much he had pulled the trigger. All that mattered was saving everyone in the village. Even if he didn't get them all he could at least drive them away. Shippo approached the woman as caring as ever.

 

            "Are you alright?"

 

            "Yes I'm fine...But your friend..."

 

            Shippo looked over at Brent, who was scanning the area, and could tell something was off. He couldn't quite put his finger on it though...

 

            "Brent? Are YOU ok?"

 

            "Yes I'm fine buddy. Stay here and watch her. I'm going to finish off these guys!" Not wishing to waste any more time Brent took off.

 

            "Are you sure he's ok?" The Ninja asked.

 

            "He says he is..." Shippo heard another shot and a scream.

 

            The gun-toting hero ran around the village, taunting the Demons and firing wildly, clearing out all that he could. Ninjas shouted their thanks as they ran to take cover and help the wounded. Soon, all that was left of the band of Demons was the same Bat who had led the Brothers.

 

            "Where is everyone?! You...you didn't! How did you-" The Bat started to back away looking frightened.

 

            "I did. And the same is going to happen to you. You don't attack a village and get away with it!" Brent took aim just as the Bat leaped into the air flapping his wings.

 

            "I'll be back! And next time you'll pay with your life!" The Demon screamed as he began to fly away.

 

            "Oh no you don't..." Brent held the Tanegashima as steady as he could and pointed at the shrinking figure in the air...and then he pulled the trigger...The beam of pure white light cut through the air faster than an arrow, and penetrated the Bat's chest. A silent look of surprise took over his reaction. The Bat plummeted toward the Eather, but never touched the ground as he disintegrated in mid-air. The attack was over. The village was safe now.

 

            "Bulls-eye..." Brent muttered as he lowered his weapon.

 

            A sudden cheer made itself known loudly from behind him. When he turned around the entire village, including Lord Genji and Hiro, were cheering and applauding him. Shippo stood out front and was doing the same, but suddenly realized what was wrong. Brent's skin had grown incredibly pale...almost white!

 

            "Brent! Are you ok?!"

 

            "Yeah Shippo. I feel perfectly-"

 

            Suddenly, Brent's eyes rolled back, his legs gave out, and he collapsed to the ground blacking out. Shippo, Lord Genji, and Hiro ran forward as gasps and murmurs filled the crowd.

 

            "OH NO! BRENT!" Shippo screamed as he reached his friend and tried to shake him awake. Nothing. He was still breathing, yet out like a light.