- Text Size +

Chapter 6 The Road to Answers

 

            Several hours had passed since the attack on Brent and Kagome, and during that time she had the chance to cool down. For the whole duration, Brent hadn't seen her. He had been too busy trying to clean up his shirt, with Kaede mending it when he finished. Fortunately, the shirt he'd worn was red, so his blood had a difficult time showing. Kaede had stitched up all the slits caused by the Lizard Demon's bite. The shirt didn't look quite the same, but it was close enough. Brent was just happy to have a shirt to wear. The bandages on his body had been changed to clean ones at his request, just in case. It was when he had put his shirt back on, and was rolling up his sleeves, that Kagome walked into the hut as Kaede was leaving.

 

            "Brent? How are you doing?" A pinch of anxiousness hid in her voice.

            "I'm all right. And before you say anything else, I just want to say sorry for fighting with Inuyasha."

            Kagome walked over and smiled softly. "It's OK. He puts on a tough guy act, but he really is a big softie."

            "I find that hard to believe...I mean, do you really trust him?" Brent said looking concerned. "He's a Demon."

            "He's actually a Half-Demon and-"

            Brent interrupted her. "I'm sorry, Half-Demon or not, that worries me. Only a few hours ago, a full Demon, I assume, tried to bite me in half. Forgive me if I seem skeptical."

            Kagome watched him as he spoke, and she could see the fear return in his eyes, and even hear it in his voice. "Brent, it's ok. But I promise, Inuyasha will never hurt you. He's protected me, Miroku, Sango, Shippo, and Kirara countless times."

            "Shippo and Kirara?" One brow cocked up as he repeated the names.

            "Oh that's right! You haven't met them yet! Come with me!"

 

            Brent followed the teenager outside, as she started calling for them. While he followed Kagome, he finished getting his sleeves fixed up just right, and felt a tug on his jeans. He looked down to see a kid with weird looking feet.

 

            "Are you the one who got bit by that Demon?" Shippo asked directly.

            Brent gives him a strange look and responds awkwardly. "Uhhh...yes? Shouldn't you be with your parents little guy?"

            "My parents are dead." Shippo said matter-of-factly.

 

            Overwhelming awkwardness crept over Brent upon hearing this, causing him to stare with a shocked look. Fortunately, this was when Kagome turned around and saw the fox child.

 

            "Oh there you are Shippo!"

            Brent snaps out of his trance and looks freaked out. "Wait, you travel with a KID?!"

            "Hey! I may be small, but I still can get things done!" Shippo said proudly.

            "Brent, this is Shippo, and Shippo, this is Brent! He's a Fox Kitsune Demon!" Kagome smiled.

            Brent just looked at him incredulously as he kneeled down to shake his hand.

            "Pleased to meet ya!" The fox child smiled.

           

            Before Brent could respond, he heard a cute little mewl. Looking to his right, he saw what looked like a kitten, but is had great big red eyes, and two tails. And yet it still looked adorable.

 

            "And that's Kirara!" Kagome said.

 

            The little kitten mewled again as she jumped up on Brent's knee and sniffed at him.

 

            "Ok, despite the eyes, he's insanely cute." Brent said with half an awkward smile.

            "Actually, Kirara is a girl!" Shippo pointed out.

 

            Kirara jumped up to Brent's shoulder and climbed up to the top of his head, mewling here and there as she rubbed against him. Kagome and Shippo both giggled when they saw Brent's face of uncertainty.

 

            "It seems Kirara has taken a liking to you!" Sango said as she walked up.

            "She IS a good judge of character!" Kagome said.

            "Well, that's good to know..." Brent said.

 

            Brent reaches up to scratch the little kitten's head, and smiles when she purrs and rubs back into his hand.

 

            "How are you feeling? I hate how you were here for such a short time and are already injured. This is normally such a peaceful village." Sango said.

            "I'm feeling fine now. Except..."

            "What is it?" Kagome asked.

            "Well, I still need some questions answered." Brent said as Kirara jumped over to Sango's shoulder.

            "Oh, right. There's been so much going on, I haven't been able to fill you in." Kagome said looking embarrassed.

           

            Following the two women, they all head into a field for some privacy. Shippo walked alongside Brent trying to leisurely chat with him, but Brent would respond with few words. He was still unsure about his stance with Demon's; large or small. Once they were all within safe view of everyone, Kagome and Sango set to explaining things. They told him of how Kagome was brought here by Miss Centipede, and had the Shikon Jewel taken from her body. Kagome told him how the Jewel shattered because of her, and how it was her duty retrieve all the shards. She told him how she was the reincarnation of Kikyo, a priestess from fifty years further back in time. Brent just sits there trying to absorb the incredible amount of information, listening intently. When Kagome gets to how Inuyasha was sealed to the tree, and how he was framed, he could sense some sadness in her, and a bit of jealousy.

 

            "It all wouldn't have happened if it weren't for Naraku..."

 

            The moment Kagome says that name, Sango looks away highly upset.

            "Naraku? Who is he?" Brent asked.

            "He's a Demon who wants to claim the Shikon Jewel, and he will do whatever it takes to achieve that goal." Sango said, her gaze now toward the ground.

            "That name...Just hearing it makes me upset. I feel like you all are working together because somehow, this Naraku guy has had some sort of influence on you all. Am I right?" Brent asked.

            Sango doesn't utter a word. She gets to her feet and walks off with Kirara at her heels.

            "Please tell me I didn't upset her." Brent said as watched her walk away, concerned.

            "No, you didn't. Naraku just brings up painful memories. For Sango-"

            "KAGOME! NEW GUY! GET UP HERE!"

 

            Brent and Kagome both look back to the village to see Inuyasha on the hill.

 

            "Did he really just refer to me as ‘New Guy'?" Brent looked at him annoyed.

            "I'm sure he didn't mean it!" Kagome smiled with embarrassment.

 

            The moment that the two of them reached the top of the hill, Inuyasha set off to scolding them. "WHAT WERE YOU TWO DOING?! HE NEARLY GETS KILLED AND YOU SEPARATE FROM US AGAIN?!"

            "Hey, take it easy would ya? We were within sight of everyone, and Sango was just with us-" Brent tried to reason.

            "YEAH WELL SHE WASN'T DOWN THERE WHEN I SAW YA!"

            "INUYASHA!" Brent barked at him. "I'm not going to argue with you again, so I'm going to set things straight. First, my name is BRENT, NOT ‘New Guy'. I'm sure you don't give a damn, but oh well. At least I've made it known. Second, we were just fine over there. Kagome was informing me on everything she could. So please, for Kagome's sake at the very least. CHILL. OUT. Now if you'll excuse me, I want to see what I can get done about getting home. I'm sure you want me out of here anyway!"

 

            Brent takes off past the half-demon, and into the village. Inuyasha stands there looking as bewildered as Kagome.

 

            "Seems like he can handle things pretty well..." Kagome said.

            "I...uh..." Inuyasha was at a loss for words. "Wait a minute! GET BACK HERE!"

 

            As Inuyasha jumped off after him, Kagome sighed with defeat. "I guess both of them are hard-headed."

 

            When Inuyasha catches up with Brent, he's talking with Sango and Miroku. "Hey! I'm not done with you!"

            "Oh great..." Brent rolled his eyes.

            "I don't think these two are ever going to get along." Sango said.

            "Certainly seems that way." Miroku agreed.

            "Listen BRENT. You're not going anywhere without us! You'll die the second you leave! So don't do anything stupid like going off on your own! You need their help and mine if you wanna find out how to get home! And one more thing, I still owe you for that punch earlier, so watch yourself!" Inuyasha said.

            Brent took a moment to take in what he said. He wasn't quite sure what to think. "Why do you care so suddenly about me?"

            "Kagome told me how you saved her. If anything it's our way of paying you back. So like I said, don't do anything stupid. Got it?! I'm not having your death on my conscience!" With that, Inuyasha walks off.

            "You guys don't owe me anything, I was doing what I had to!" Brent yells after Inuyasha.

            "Wait, you saved Kagome?" Miroku asked.

            "Yeah. I did. His tongue was wrapped around her ankle, so I dropkicked him. When we tried to get away, that's when he got me."

            "I have to say, I'm impressed!" Miroku patted him on the back.

            "You have some fighting spirit in you it seems!" Sango said.

            "I couldn't let that thing get her. It made my blood boil at the thought of her getting hurt." Brent confessed.

            "Well, you don't have to worry about him anymore. Come on, let's get ready. Are you sure you're OK to start traveling?" Sango asked as they walked toward Kaede's hut.

            "Yes, I'm sure. We can't waste any time anyway. Kagome will need to get back to school once I leave, and I'd rather not spend my month 500 years in the past. No offense to you guys."

            "None taken. Come, we'll need to get the proper supplies. Oh, and I'm sure you'll need this as well to protect yourself." Miroku said as he handed Brent the very blade he had stabbed the Lizard Demon with. He had grabbed it from the tree on the way back from their short-lived search.

"It's a Tanto Sword. Hopefully, you don't have to use it much." Miroku said.

            "Thanks..." Brent takes the sword as his eyes scan it. He had no idea how to use it, and he hoped he wouldn't have to.

 

            "I can teach you about that sword if you would like. It can't hurt." Sango proposed.

            "Actually...it could..." Brent half-smiled with concern.

            "Don't worry, Sango is a Demon Hunter. If anyone should teach you, it's her."

            "Thanks Miroku!" Sango smiled.

            "Perhaps I could teach you a few things sometime?" Miroku said with a strange smile toward her.

            Sango looked unamused. "Not on your life." Brent looked back and forth between the two of them, utterly confused.

 

After everyone gathered together and acquired some supplies, they were ready to embark on their journey. Lady Kaede and the rest of the village saw them off, waving good-bye and wishing them luck. Inuyasha lead the group as the mid-day sun beat down upon them.

 

            "So we're looking for a Demon named Hisao?" The leader asked.

            "Yeah. Anyone got an idea on how we find him?" Brent questioned.

            "I can't say I've heard of this All-Seeing Demon. It seems highly irregular." Sango said.

            "And just like life, this won't be easy..." Brent sighed.

            "We're bound to find something! We always do!"  Shippo said as he sat on Kagome's backpack.

            "I'm sure we can find someone who knows something that can point us in the right direction. Just keep a positive mind." Miroku said

            "Don't worry Brent. We'll find a way for us to get back home." Kagome smiled.

            "For both our sakes, I hope you're right. I don't think I'd look too great 500 years from now." Brent responded.

            "You won't even live 100 years. You're a human." Inuyasha mentioned matter-of-factly.

            "That was supposed to be a joke, but thanks for the eye opener Inuyasha." Brent rolled his eyes.

            "You know what-"

            "Don't even start boys! It's a beautiful day and we've only just hit the road. If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything!" Kagome interrupted.

 

            Brent and Inuyasha both shut their mouths, as the half-demon scoffed; keeping his eyes on the worn road ahead. The journey had begun, and with several goals in tow. Kagome and Brent couldn't live in the Feudal Era forever; it wasn't where they belonged. Only the Demon, Hisao, was their lead on pointing them toward the answer. Along the way, there was also the hope of finding more shards of the Shikon Jewel. Kagome had many of the shards with her, and the sooner they could complete the jewel, the better.

 

Even with Brent having been seriously injured only hours ago, he already was looking healthy and eager to move on. But in truth, he could still feel a bit of pain from the bite that marked his body. A hand rose to his chest to where the jewel shard rested within him. He could feel it resting there, and fortunately it was a pleasant feeling. A soothing wave of warmth seemed to radiate from it, and all throughout his body. It seemed the shard was helping him cope with any pain, as well as helping him heal.

 

            "Hey Brent, are you ok?" Shippo asked.

Brent quickly looked up, and his hand fell back to his side. "Yeah, I'm fine." He smiled at the little fox.

 

While he was telling the truth, he did feel relatively fine, he wasn't about to let anything hinder their progress. Even if it meant he had to keep things to himself; for he felt it was his fault that he and Kagome were stuck hundreds of years in the past.