- Text Size +
 

CHAPTER 3: Marked

 

Kagome awoke with the sound of chirping birds and sunlight in her eyes. She stayed staring at the ceiling for a few minutes before groggily sitting down on the soft futton. Her eyes roamed around the simply furnished room. It was almost bare except for the futton, a small table, a lamp and washing bin. But the lack of furniture was compensated by the intricate wall paintings of an autumn scene. Her eyes landed on the kimono placed at the foot of her futton. Her eyes immediately flew to her body. Who changed her clothes? She thought in panic. She was wearing a plain white sleeping kimono.

 

Panic gripped her as the thought of Sesshoumaru undressing her crossed her mind. She was at that state when said demon lord entered the room unceremoniously. She glared at the youkai who just looked back at her with a cold look.

 

“I could have been dressing, you know?” she said as she clutched the kimono to her chest.

 

The elegant youkai just cocked an eyebrow at her. “You appear to be decent enough,” he drawled. “Come.”

 

Kagome jumped to her feet and glared at the youkai. “That's it? Come?” she sputtered indignantly. “Why of all the arrogant things to say!” she said angrily as she stalked to the youkai who narrowed his eyes in annoyance. However, Kagome was too caught up in her tirade to notice the demon's shift of mood.

 

“I am not your slave and I don't intend to be one,” she said as she poked at his chest.

 

Her eyes rounded in shock as Sesshoumaru caught her hand and had her pinned back at the futton. Needless to say, their position is quite indecent, add the fact that Kagome is wearing a thin sleeping kimono. Her legs were spread apart with Sesshoumaru positioned between her legs. His face was just a few inches from her face.

 

“Do not presume to take liberties on this Sesshoumaru's person,” he said menacingly.

 

Kagome licked her suddely dry lips. To be honest, she was more aroused than sacred. Her breathing became ragged as heat flooded her body. She could feel every lean muscles that the demon possesses. Her bright blue eyes strayed into his gold ones. It was evident that he was as affected as she was. Fear and anticipation intermingled in her mind when she saw his eyes begin to be tinged with red. She dare not move. Her eyes instantly closed when the demon lowered his head and began to nuzzle her. Kagome could not suppress the shudder that ran through her body as Sesshoumaru grazed his fangs on her neck.

 

It was over as fast as it had started. Kagome opened her eyes when she felt Sesshoumaru's weight off her. Sesshoumaru was looking at her with disgust in his eyes. She felt a twinge of hurt and chastised herself for feeling that way. Her chin rose as she mentally shook away those unwanted feelings. This was Sesshoumaru and he hates human. She has no business getting hurt with the disgust he felt for what they had done. She locked eyes with the demon, her defiance clear in her eyes as the evidence of his desire is also evident in his red-tinged eyes.

 

“What have you done, Miko?” he asked with a subtle hint of anger, a deviation from his usual emotionless tone of voice. He looked acccusingly at her as if she was the one who started it.

 

Kagome did her best to look decent. She tightened the ties of her kimono and ran a hand through her hair. Unbeknownst to her, she looked even more attractive in her rumpled state. Her ebony her tumbling carelessly over her shoulders and the thin white kimono clinging to her generous curves. She ignored the hurt she felt and glared at the youkai as she held her head high. “As far as I remember, you were the one who jumped me,” she said haughtily, trying her best to maintain her dignity.

 

Sesshoumaru growled lowly before turning to the door. Just as he was outside, he stopped but did not turn. “There are indoor hot springs three doors to the left of this chamber,” he said. “Be decent in one hour.” With that, Sesshoumaru left, closing the door behind him.

 

Kagome sighed when he finally left. She felt so drained. Her eyes strayed to the only clothing available for her. It was a dark blue kimono beautifully embroidered with snowflakes. She slid down to the futton, totally confused. Her body never reacted that way, not even with Inuyasha. This is going way out of hand. And for Sesshoumaru to almost lose control... Kagome shook her head. This is just something else.

 

Gingerly, Kagome stood up and headed to the indoor hot springs that Sesshoumaru so graciously offered. She found her bag just outside the door and was glad that it was with her.

 

-+-+-

 

He felt the wind causing his hair to whip his face but he does not care. It had already happened twice. First was when he met her at the forest a few days ago. And now this. His “innocent” encounters with Inuyasha's miko always seem to end up not-so-innocently. The odd this is, she is human. Why does a mere human evoke those reactions from him?

 

Sesshoumaru growled in frustration and ran faster. No doubt she was attractive but he was not some ordinary human to be lured by those. And he does not usually succumb to his baser instincts.

 

He suddenly stopped as he realized that he was already at the borders of the Western Lands. He smirked when the wind brought Inuyasha's scent to him. He smirked evilly as he realized that the miko's pleasant scent of fresh rain and watermelons clung to him. This should be interesting.

 

He decided to await his half-brother on a tree. Not ten minutes later, a blur of red passed the tree he was sitting on. But it immediately went back when the hanyou recognized the scent.

 

Sesshoumaru smirked when Inuyasha stopped at the foot of the tree. Predictable as always, the hanyou unsheathed the Tetsusaiga and jumped on him, releasing the infamous Kaze no Kizu. However, he had foreseen his actions and was able to dodge the attack effortlessly.

 

Inuyasha surprisingly landed gracefully enough and stood a few feet from him. “Where the hell is Kagome?” he asked angrily, his chest heaving. Pbviously, the hanyou had been frantically searching from the miko. Inuyasha sniffed the air and Sesshoumaru felt a certain amount of satisfaction when the half-demon's eyes narrowed in suspicion. “What have you done to her?” he demanded.

 

“She's probably bathing right now,” he drawled. “At least that's what she was about to do when I left her.” Although he said this in his usual emotionless tone, there was no mistaking the underlying meaning in his words. And as Sesshoumaru expected, Inuyasha misinterpreted his innocent words.

 

Inuyasha's eyes widened. “I'll kill you, bastard!” he said angrily and began to attack him.

 

Sesshoumaru effortlessly dodged Inuyasha's attacks. It was obvious that the hanyou's mind was clouded with anger. Soon, he was able to disarm Inuyasha. “Calm yourself,” he said when he had him pinned down. “I will give back your miko once I am through with her. But until then, you will keep out of the Western Lands unless summoned by me.”

 

Inuyasha struggled futilely. “Give her back,” he said stubbornly.

 

“Do not defy me,” he said with narrowed eyes. “Or she will suffer.” He headed back to his lands. He smirked in satisfaction when he heard Inuyasha's angry yell.

 

-+-+-

 

Kikypu's eyes strayed to the hanyou who stormed inside Kaede's hut. It was obvious that he was furious. She briefly wondered what could anger Inuyasha this much but then it takes little to anger him. She noticed that Kagome was not with him. Maybe her twin went back to that other era where she grew up. She promptly ignored him and went back to helping Kaede treat one of the villagers.

 

Miroku and Sango followed him wearily with Shippo and Kirara trailing behind. Shippo was sniffling. Obviously, Inuyasha bullied the little kitsune again. However, it was Shippo's small voice that caught her attention.

 

“Kagome will be back, Shippo-chan,” Sango said as she stroked his furry tail.

 

“But Sesshoumaru might hurt her,” Shippo wailed miserably.

 

Kaede dropped the bowl she was holding. “What happened to Kagome?” she asked calmly but her shaking hands bellied her calm.

 

Inuyasha avoided Kaede’s eyes. Kikyou saw he play of emotions in his eyes. Thers was anger, guilt, sadness and resignation. She felt a twinge of pity for the hanyou that she had loved when she was alive.

 

“Sesshoumaru took her,” he finally said after a long pause. His shoulders slumped visibly as the words finally came out of his mouth. “And he threatened me that he would make Kagome suffer if I go to his lands.”

 

Kikyou exchanged a glance with Kaede. It was obvious that the old miko was extremely worried with this new development. “What did he want with Kagome?” Kaede asked tentatively, dreading the answer.

 

The hanyou looked dejected as he shook his head, confusion written all over his face. “He didn’t say,” he said. “But…” he trailed off, unable to continue his line of thought. Anger again sparked in his eyes.

 

“But what?” Miroku gently prodded, suddenly wary.

 

Inuyasha remained silent, purposefully ignoring the question. He looked at Kikyou and there was a hint of longing in his eyes, His claws dug into his skin and drew blood. Inuyasha looked helpless and defeated.

 

Kikyou felt fear for her twin squeezing her heart. “What is it, Inuyahsa?” she gently prodded. “What are you not telling us?” she said calmly.

 

The hanyou looked angrily at her. Although Kikyou was confused at his reaction, she hid it well. “Kagome’s scent was all over him!” he burst out suddenly.

 

Sango paled visibly at Inuyasha’s announcement. She was not able to contain a gasp of surprise at the outburst.

 

Understanding dawned on Kikyou. Inuyasha was jealous of Sesshoumaru. And by the way things are going he has reason to fell that way. Despite the callous way Inuyasha treats Kagome he genuinely cares for her. He may even be in love with her. Kikyou felt a twinge of jealousy. She shrugged this feeling off. Hers and Inuyasha’s time together had long since ended when she had been easily tricked by Naraku into believing that Inuyasha could actually betray her. Her distrust in him had resulted to this tragedy. And now, she would really want Inuyasha to be happy even if it’s not with her.

 

“Inuyasha, you sound like you are jealous,” Miroku said seriously. “For all we know, Sesshoumaru had chosen Kagome to be his mate. After what we saw the last time, I wouldn’t be surprise.”

 

“I am not jealous!” Inuyasha denied violently. “And Kagome is too good for Sesshoumaru. He does not deserve her.”

 

Kikyou cleared her throat. “And you think you do?” she said seriously.

 

“What are you saying, idiots?” Inuyasha said, blushing furiously.

 

Shippo snorted. “Inuyasha doesn’t deserve Kagome,” he said in a huff. “You never treated her any better. Always making her feel stupid and useless.”

 

“Why you!” Inuyasha said angrily as he tried to lunge at Shippo. However, the kit was fast enough and perched on Sango’s shoulder who glared murderously at Inuyasha.

 

“Shippo has a point, you know,” Sango said.

 

Inuyasha stopped in his tracks. “I know,” he whispered, his face reflecting the guilt he feels. He stormed out of the hut, leaving everybody dumbfounded at his last words.

 

-+-+-

 

Sesshoumaru felt the evil presence even before he took in Naraku’s stench. He raced back faster towards his lands as the thought of Rin and reluctantly, Kagome, being taken by the loathsome creature formed in his mind. How dare that hanyou trespass to his lands? He will pay for his insolence.

 

His eyes narrowed dangerously as he heard Rin’s shrill scream. A moment later, he was standing at the entrance of his castle. Naraku’s tentacles were wrapped around Kagome’s unconscious form as he laughed evilly. Rin was crying under a tree as the tentacles tried to get past a barrier that was obviously set up by Kagome.

 

“Give me the jewel!” Naraku demanded. “Your efforts are futile seeing that the miko that erected your barrier is unconscious. Sooner or later, I will be able to get pass that weak barrier.”

 

Anger welled inside Sesshoumaru as he witnessed Naraku’s relentless attacks. However, he was also proud at the loyalty and courage Rin is showing.

 

“No!” Rin said defiantly. “Kagome-nee-chan told Rin not to give this jewel to you. Kagome-nee-chan said to give this to Sesshoumaru-sama!”

 

Sesshoumaru was surprised at his ward’s words. The miko apparently entrusted him the jewel in the event that she would be captured by the hanyou. How curious… Soon, he was a blur of white. He slashed the tentacles that held the miko and caught her before she hit the ground.

 

“Sesshoumaru-sama!” Rin cried happily. Relief evident in her voice.

 

“Stay in the barrier,” he said without looking at his ward. He gently placed the miko at a safe distance and faced the stupid hanyou that dared to challenge him.

 

With one blast of Toukijin, Sesshoumaru got rid of Naraku's puppet. He went to the miko. He immediately smelled her blood and as he neared, he saw that she was getting pale from the blood loss. He wrinkled his nose a little as he scented a vaguely familiar scent mixed with her blood. He had never encountered such a scent on a human.

 

Sesshoumaru noticed that Rin's barrier had disappeared when the threat of Naraku was gone. Rin was already besiede the miko the instant the barrier was dissolved.

 

“Kagome-nee-chan was hurt when she saved Rin,” Rin said imploringly at Sesshoumaru.

 

He sighed and picked up the miko gently. It was a hard task considering that he only has one arm. However, he was able to balance her with the help of Rin. They walked slowly towards the miko's temporary chambers. When he placed her on the futon, Rin immediately slid Kagome's kimono exposing the miko's creamy shoulders.

 

On the junction between her right shoulder and neck was a large gash where blood flowed freely. Sesshoumaru immediately gathered her hair and arranged it away from the wound. It was then that he noticed that the woulnd was healing rather fast for a human. And he saw the crescent mark on the nape of Kagome's neck. He looked at the woman whose face was returning to its usual healthy color.

 

A woman marked... Born to be a part of the House of the Moon... He remembered those words uttered to him when he was but a child. Is she the one? This human?

 

He must get that sphere as soon as possible. If he remembered correctly, the time is near. He must hurry. The prophecy must be fulfilled.

 

End chapter

 

-+-+-

 

Author's Note: That's the third chap! Hope you liked it. I bet you thought that the title meant Sesshoumaru marking Kagome. Hehehe... Well... It's a bit too soon for that. Tell me what you think. Questions and comments are very much welcome but I cannot guarantee that I would answer every one. It might spoil the story if I tell the answer.