- Text Size +
 

“You are developing a habit of fainting,” an amused voice said, as Kagome opened her eyes.

 

Kagome groaned and forced herself into a sitting position. She noticed that she was lying down on a very familiar fur pelt under the same sakura tree where she had first “met” InuTaisho. There was a sense of deja vu in the situation. She turned her head and as she expected, there sat InuTaisho sitting in the same position. Despite the fact that he was a powerful demon, like Sesshoumaru, Kagome felt the urge to smile at him. She smiled warmly.

 

“And you're developing a habit of popping in my unconscious,” she teased. “Care to tell me more?”

 

InuTaisho shook his head and smiled ruefully at her. “The time is near, Kagome,” he said seriously. “And when the time comes, you will find out. It is imperative that you fulfill the prophecy.”

 

“What prophecy is that?” Kagome asked exasperatedly. “How will I fulfill something that I don't know?”

 

“You will know when the time comes,” he said cryptically. “Go to the East. You will find the answer there.”

 

Kagome pouted. She mimicked InuTaisho as she made a face.

 

“What is it with Inuyoukais and cryptic replies?” she said in annoyance. “Can’t you just flat out tell me what I’m supposed to do? It will make it easier, you know.”

 

“I suppose you are referring to Sesshoumaru?” InuTaisho said, his eyes sparkled with amusement.

 

“You supposed right!” Kagome said with a snort. “Anyway, if you won't tell me the prophecy, tell me what this pendant is for? Why can't I take it off?”

 

“Because I want you to wear it,” he said before fading away.

 

“Arrogant youkai,” Kagome muttered under her breath, as he disappeared with an amused smile.

 

-+-+-

 

Sesshoumaru had gone over the scrolls written by both his parents. Whatever that damned prophecy is, it isn't written in any of their documents. He searched his head for anything his father or mother told him.

 

A woman marked... Born to be a part of the House of the Moon...

 

That was it. But what is the mark? Who marked her? And how will she be a part of the House of the Moon? Is she human or youkai? His head swam with so many questions. Why didn't they just tell him what was in the prophecy? All this secrecy was just a nuisance.

 

He looked at the door as he felt Rin's rapid approach. Soon, the bubbly girl slid the door open and beamed up at him. The child never left the miko's side, despite his reassurances that the girl was all right. Rin kept her vigil beside the miko, which forced Sesshoumaru to send for another futon inside the chamber.

 

“Kagome-nee-chan is awake!” she said happily and latched herself to his leg.

 

He waited until the girl unlatched herself and walked towards the miko's chambers. When he got there, Rin preceded him inside. His eyes strayed to the miko who was inspecting the shoulder where a large wound should be. He stopped a few feet from the futon where she was comfortably sitting; one sleeve of the white sleeping kimono was off her shoulder, revealing an expanse of creamy white flawless skin.

 

Kagome looked up and returned his look. She had forgotten her modesty in her confusion. She shook her head as if to help her form her thoughts into words. “What happened?” she asked huskily, her tone weary and confused.

 

“Trouble seems to follow you,” he said evenly. He watched as she looked down guiltily. Sesshoumaru knew that the miko was thoroughly confused. Probably, she was more confused than him.

 

Rin immediately began retelling them what happened. “Rin-chan and Kagome-nee-chan were playing and the yucky monster came and tried to hurt Rin! But Kagome-nee-chan saved Rin! And then Sesshoumaru-sama came and killed the monster.”

 

“I remember having a wound right about here,” she mumbled, unconsciously rubbing her shoulder.

 

“Oh yes!” Rin butted in. “But then it disappeared like magic!” she said, all wide-eyed innocence.

 

Kagome looked up at Sesshoumaru as if confirming Rin's words. He nodded and she returned to her deep thoughts, almost forgetting that she was not alone. She was chewing her lip thoughtfully and her brows are furrowed, as if trying to remember something. He expected she was pondering the unusual occurrences ever since she set foot on the Palace of the Moon. However, what she said next was unexpected.

 

She looked up at him, fingering the pendant unconsciously. The miko sighed in resignation and muttered under her breath to what sounded like, ‘this better work’, before she spoke to him directly.

 

“When are we heading to the East?” she asked.

 

Sesshoumaru arched his brow as if questioning her sudden interest in going to the East.

 

“Do you want to go back to Inuyasha that badly?” he mocked.

 

“Funny you should mention him,” Kagome said. “I haven’t thought of him in a while now. Actually, I have my own personal reasons.”

 

The inuyoukai’s eyes narrowed in suspicion. “And what is that reason?” he asked coldly.

 

Kagome pulled her kimono on tightly. She tossed her head and smirked at him. “You will know when the time comes,” she said cryptically.

 

Sesshoumaru decided not to press. He didn’t want the miko think that he cared. He was merely curious, or so that is what he says to himself.

 

“Very well,” he said haughtily. “We leave in the morning.”

 

The miko nodded and her face turned serious. He left the woman with Rin and walked back to his own chambers. He should prepare.

 

-+-+-

 

“Wake up you filthy human!”

 

Kagome jerked awake at the familiar sound of Jaken’s high pitched irritating voice. She snorted at the disgusted look on the toad-youkai’s face.

 

“Well! You’re more filthy than me, you slimy toad!” she retorted with a smirk.

 

The toad sputtered and threw her clothes at her face. She was so glad to see her own clothes that she decided to let that toad go without a come-back, maybe later.

 

She went to the hot springs and took a short but thorough bath before dressing herself in her mid-thigh denim shorts, blue shirt and sneakers. She was just tying her hair in a high ponytail when Rin barged into her room.

 

“Ohayou!” the little girl said happily, as she sat on Kagome’s lap. “Kagome-nee-chan looks very pretty!”

 

Kagome smiled fondly at the girl. “Ohayou, Rin-chan,” she said as she finished tying her hair. She began to brush the child’s hair. “Do you want me to braid your hair today?”

 

The girl shook her head vigorously. “No,” she said. “Rin wants her hair to look like yours,” she said with a big grin.

 

“Okay!” Kagome said happily and did as the little girl asked. “Wow, Rin-chan! You look real pretty,” Kagome said as she finished tying the girl’s hair in a similar ponytail.

 

The child giggled and stood. “Let’s go show Sesshoumaru-sama! He is waiting at the dining area,” she said happily and all but dragged Kagome.

 

Kagome laughed good-naturedly and allowed Rin to lead her to Sesshoumaru. She glanced at the window and realized that it was still foggy outside but she can still see the silhouette of a huge old tree outside her window. Good. At least she was early.

 

-+-+-

 

Sesshoumaru looked expectantly at the door when he heard Rin’s running footsteps accompanied by the miko’s. He watched as Rin dragged the miko inside. Both paused by the door and tried to catch their breaths. As the two grinned at each other, he took his time observing the miko.

 

She was wearing her usual indecent clothing, although this one did not reveal as much as the green short kimono she wore years ago. Her hair was tied back, exposing the crescent mark on the nape of her neck. However, he knew this mark was only visible to a youkai’s eyes. That was the only additional information he was able to find in his search. His eyes strayed to the miko’s long shapely legs. He returned his gaze to the miko’s face which was flushed due to her earlier exertion. And his mind conjured up another image that would cause the same flush in her lovely cheeks. He narrowed his eyes in irritation. This thing between them was starting to become a distraction he did not need.

 

He looked at his ward to divert his wandering thoughts and his eyes softened. However, it was curious how the miko and Rin looked alike. They have the same raven hair, warm smiles and their wide expressive eyes except that the miko had blue eyes and Rin had brown ones. They could almost past as sisters or even mother and daughter if the miko was a few years older.

 

“Sesshoumaru-sama!” Rin’s happy voice broke his contemplation.

 

He looked up and saw the pair looking at him expectantly. “We shall eat before we leave,” he said and motioned for the two to sit.

 

Kagome sat across from him as Rin sat on his right side. As soon as they were seated, food was served and they ate in silence.

 

“Are we going to walk to the East?” the miko asked curiously.

 

“That would take us a week to get there with your human speed,” he said coldly. He was amused when the miko pouted in annoyance.

 

“Well, how do you propose we get there?” she asked haughtily.

 

“You will see,” he said just to annoy the miko further.

 

She immediately shut her mouth, refusing to be baited. Sesshoumaru waited patiently and he almost smiled when the miko was not able to hold her irritation. “Arrogant youkai,” she muttered. “Just like his father,” she mumbled under her breath.

 

Sesshoumaru stiffened at that last remark. So his father once again talked with the miko. “You mentioned my father,” he said coldly.

 

“So what if I did?” she said, lifting her chin in defiance.

 

Sesshoumaru saw the spark in her eyes and refused to ask what they talked about. “It is of no consequence,” he said unemotionally.

 

The miko pretended to feign nonchalance. “You’re right,” she said. “It isn’t important since he wouldn’t even tell me about the prophecy.”

 

The demon lord stiffened. His father mentioned the prophecy to this miko.

 

“But I’ll be more persistent the next time,” she said happily. “I know I can make him tell me sooner or later.”

 

Sesshoumaru’s curiosity was nagging him to ask the miko for more information. But he didn’t, he had too much pride.

 

“At least he told me about this pendant,” she added while fingering the pendant. Then she looked at him and smiled in satisfaction.

 

-+-+-

 

Kagome snuck a glance at the stoic demon. It was evident he wants her to tell him more about what InuTaisho told him. However, it was also obvious that he would not ask. Damn his pride! But she would relish this small victory against the arctic demon.

 

He didn’t need to know that InuTaisho told her little about the pendant. Yeah right! Little was an overstatement. But at least it tickled Sesshoumaru’s curiosity.

 

Right after their breakfast, Sesshoumaru told her to meet him at the front in an hour. Kagome nodded and decided to spend her time in the gardens with Rin. And now here she was, standing at the front waiting for Sesshoumaru to come with Rin standing beside her.

 

Soon, the demon lord came striding out. He threw her a package that she curiously opened. Kagome's eyes widened in appreciation, as she saw a beautifully crafted bow with a quiver of arrows. The bow was made of ivory with a silver handle. The handle had very detailed carvings of an inuyoukai on a cloud. The bowstring seemed to be made of some strong material that she does not know of. She was examining it when Sesshoumaru spoke.

 

“The bowstring is made from my mother’s hair,” he said levelly. “It is infused with her youki.”

 

“Oh,” was all Kagome was able to say. She was too surprised to say anything else. She gazed at the weapon in her hand and felt the youki. It somehow felt good, like it actually recognized her. She smiled warmly at Sesshoumaru. “Thank you.”

 

The demon lord looked at her silently and nodded.

 

“So, how do we travel?” Kagome asked cheerfully. She slung the bow and arrows on her shoulder and a small back pack on her back containing a few personal belongings. She caught up with him and kept his pace.

 

“Can I come?” Rin asked hopefully, trying to keep up with their pace with her short legs.

 

Sesshoumaru stopped and looked at Rin. “No,” he said simply.

 

“But I want to go,” the child said pouting, her eyes getting teary.

 

Kagome sighed and kneeled until she was at the child's level. “Sesshoumaru-sama would need someone to watch over the palace for him,” she said. “We promise to be back in a few days.”

 

“You promise?” the child said in a small squeak.

 

“Promise,” she said and hugged the girl before hurrying up to catch Sesshoumaru. She turned back and waved at the little girl who waved back before turning to face the demon lord who waited a few meters ahead.

 

-+-+-

 

Sesshoumaru watched Kagome handle Rin. She was able to convince the child easily without the usual persistence that the child demonstrates. His mind strayed back to his mother's bow and arrows. He had thought hard before giving her the weapons. It was the only thing that was left of his mother. However, he felt that it would be of more use in the miko's hands.

 

He remembered her expression as she opened the package. Sesshoumaru didn't know why he felt that way but he was pleased that she genuinely liked his mother's weapons. And when he felt his mother's youki reacting to the miko's touch, he knew that his mother would have wanted her to have those.

 

The miko approached and he felt her lightheartedness. It was odd that she should feel that way with him since he was considered her enemy for a long time. And her carefree attitude was somehow making him feel more relaxed, something he had never felt in centuries. And he could not understand how she could smile so warmly to anyone especially with all the confusing things that is happening around her. Kagome seem to have a smile ready for everyone. She even saw her smile at his guards and servants. And her smile was infectious. Everyone who was given that smile could not help but smile back at her.

 

“So, how do we travel to the east?” she asked as she got in stride with him.

 

Sesshoumaru looked at her. She was smiling again. That warm genuine smile that lights up her face and make her eyes crinkle and sparkle.

 

“We fly,” he said simply. He watched her from the corner of his eyes. Her face lit up and her excitement showed in her face.

 

“We will?” she asked, grinning broadly.

 

Her excitement caused warmth to spread all over him. However, it was not the same warmth that he had experienced with their previous “warm” encounters. He shook the feeling away and grabbed the miko's waist without a word. She gasped in surprise and clutched at his sleeves when they lifted off the ground on his youki cloud.

 

There was no fear in her expression. She was actually grinning widely and scanning everything below. The miko briefly closed her eyes. When she opened them, her eyes were shining with happiness and excitement.

 

“Wow,” she whispered in awe. “I've never been this high up. Not even on a plane. And to think I'm flying with the wind whipping pass me.” She was clutching at him but there was no fear in her. She was merely enjoying the feeling of being up in the air.

 

He didn't answer but he could feel the warmth of her skin. He relished the feeling. Somehow, this miko is making him feel more relaxed despite the circumstances. And he had missed that feeling of comfort he had when he was but a pup. He almost smiled. Almost, but he caught himself.

 

The miko was making him feel things he had long forgotten. Things that he had no business feeling. He was confused yet at the same time glad of these feelings. It made him feel more alive.

 

“Thank you, Sesshoumaru,” the miko whispered. “This is an experience I will never forget.”

 

“Hn,” he said noncommittally. But deep inside, he was secretly pleased.

 

-End chapter-

Chapter End Notes:
A/N: I thought no one was reading this so i decided not to update. But then there were people nice enough to tell me that they liked my story. So, this is for those two who had deigned my story worth their time. Arigatou!