- Text Size +
 

 

Part Two

***Five Years Later***

 

A lone man stands on the steps of the home, scanning the expanse of the welcoming grounds worriedly. It is late in the night, the half moon overhead casting pale shadows across the lawn. A wide, clear path leads from the steps straight to the gate and he watches, slightly relieved as the gates slide open slowly, shutting with out a sound. A lone figure walks slowly up the path to the steps. Silver hair reflects in the moonlight, glinting off armour. A pair of gold eyes almost seem to glow in the near darkness and as the figure approaches the steps the man waiting bows low.

"My Lord, you have returned." The demon lord nods.

"Have you told anyone else?" He says quietly. His voice is weary, exhausted but he stands firm. The man shakes his head.

"No my lord, not even the lady of the house was told, just as you directed." The demon lord nods, passing the man and entering the home.

 

Sesshoumaru walks through the halls slowly, silently. Torches light the halls all hours of the day and night, and due to the late hour of the night no one is about.

The battle with the demons had been a long one. Five long years it took to finally drive the dragons back to their own lands, nearly wiping out their numbers in the process. Sesshoumaru had left the remaining numbers to the dragons of the south and east, prefering to let them take care of their own kind. Unlike the battle with the panther demons long ago, Inuyasha had joined in the battle, his fang and Sesshoumaru's together cutting great swaths through the dragons forces before Inuyasha was forced to return home.

 

Sesshoumaru stands outside his quarters, suddenly hesitant to enter. He could smell Rin's scent inside the door and he hesitates only momentarily before pushing the door open slowly, making sure it shut silently behind him. He makes her way as if by memory to her sleeping chambers, pausing on the threshold.

Five years had hardly changed her. Moonlight coming through the open balcony near her bed allow him to see almost as clearly as day with his youkai sight. Her hair is loose, feather across the pillow. Even in the dark he can see her peaceful expression in sleep.

Not wanting to wake her he takes a seat in the corner of the room, lying on one of the plush futons in the corner used for guests. For his vantage point he can see her clearly, the slight rise and fall of her chest.

 

Unsure how long later, the door to Rin's sleeping chambers opens slowly, shutting nearly silently. Sesshoumaru comes awake from where he'd been dozing and he watches silently, without moving as someone comes to the doorway of Rin's sleeping chamber. It pauses at the doorway and hesitates, its eyes fixed on the sleeping figure. Sesshoumaru is about to move when the figure steps into the moonlight.

A small female child pads silently across the room, her tiny hands tipped with claws. Her hair is long, unbound and ebony, shining in the moonlight. Small, dog like ears perch atop her head, twitching slightly. The female child does not even acknowledge his presence as she stops at the bedside, reaching out hesitantly to Rin's sleeping form. Then to Sesshoumaru's utmost surprise, she speaks.

"Mother?" Sesshoumaru's eyes widen slightly but he does not move or make a sound. "Mother, wake up." Rin shifts slightly, coming awake slowly.

"Oh, Shaura, what is it?" Before the child can say anything she suddenly turns, her eyes locking on Sesshoumaru in the corner. Gold eyes meet his unlocking, unflinching for a split second then the child whimpers.

"Mother, it's a demon." The child says quietly, her voice trembling. Rin is awake instantly, pulling the child against her and swiftly drawing a blade out from under her pillow. Rin's eyes adjust quickly to the dakrness and she spots Sesshoumaru in the corner.

"What are you doing in here demon." Rin says viciously, curling her body slightly around the child huddling against her middle, the knife blade glinting in the moonlight. Sesshoumaru slowly stands, making no sudden moves as he walks slowly forward, stepping slowly into the moonlight.

Rin's eyes widen and the blade drops onto the bed as Sesshoumaru stops beside the bed. The child whimpers slighlty and Rin calms her, a hand stroking her hair as she crosses her legs, cradling the child in her lap.

"You're back." She says softly to Sesshoumaru, her eyes never leaving him. He nods slowly, sitting on the bed beside her.

"I just arrived." Rin follows his gaze down to the child and she smiles slightly, gathering the child in her arms.

"Shaura, i want you to meet someone." She said quietly. Shaura glances at Sesshoumaru then at her. She turns Shaura in her lap to face Sesshoumaru.

"Shaura, i'd like you to meet your father." Shaura stares at him a moment, doubt and slight fear crossing her face. Sesshoumaru silently holds his arms out to her and after a brief hesitation Shaura crawls over to him, sitting in his lap. She looks up at him, her delicate little nose sniffing the air slightly and she suddenly smiles.

"Father!" With a happy cry she launches herself onto him, her small arms wrapping around his neck. Beside him, Rin smiles.

"My love, i would like you to meet your daughter. Welcome home."