- Text Size +
 

**A little idea i had for a once shot while i was trying (unsuccessfully) to sleep last night. Hope you like**

***A heads up...this takes place five years after the Shikon has been completed and Naraku destroyed. Rin is human. Oh, and Sesshoumaru has both arms (funner to write about two!) LOL**

 

Chapter Three

 

The entire castle is in an uproar the next morning when the Lord of the house makes his appearance. Though, to his surprise, there was little that was required of him, unlike his past returns to the home. When questioned, the caretakers and staff informed him that the Lady Rin had seen to everything.

That afternoon finds him in his private garden, staring up at the cherry tree just getting ready to bloom. His thoughts are far from the cherry tree though.

The golden eyes of his daughter keep coming back to him and he sighs.

"Is something troubling you, husband?" Turning he finds Rin standing several paces away, watching him with concern. He turns to her, holding out his arms and she is in his arms almost instantly. He had shed the armour of war shortly after leaving Rin's chamber the previous night, overwhelmingly happy to finally be rid of it. Rin warps her arms around his waist, clinging to him with her head on his chest.

"I missed you dearly these past five years, my love." He says quietly. Rin nods against his chest.

"And i've missed you as well." A ackward silence fills the air and she sighs, pulling away from him slightly. "I know you want to ask. It's all right to." He nods, leading her to the bench beneath the tree not far away. After they are seated he sighs.

"I know she is mine. There is no doubt in that." Rin nods. "When?"

"I found out the day you left. I was actually coming to your chambers when your servant found me to bring there."

"Why didn't you tell me?" He says quietly, looking up at her. She smiles slightly.

"The people of your lands needed you more. You said yourself that you neve would have gone if you knew i was with child. I couldn't do that. And i did not send word to you because i knew that if i did, you would be distracted." She lowers her head, tears begining to brim her eyes. "I knew that this was the only way for you to come home to me safely."

Sesshoumaru is about to reach out to her when he stops, catching movement across the path. A pair of gold eyes stares at them from between two trees a little down the path and he smiles.

"Stop crying my love, i believe we have a spy in our midst." Slightly confused Rin stares up at him and he smiles. "Shaura is spying on us." She smiles, shaking her head before turning.

"Shaura, come out." Shaura appears down the path, stepping guiltily out onto the cobblestone path and approaching slowly.

Sesshoumaru watches her, studying her. Ever since last night he had hardly seen the child, Shaura seeming to shy away from him almost. Even now the child stands on the other side of Rin, putting her mother between them. "Shaura, why were you spying on us?"

"You were talking about me, weren't you?" Shaura says quietly. Rin glances at Sesshoumaru then nods.

"Yes, we were. Why do you look so sad?" Rin asks, stroking her hand down Shaura's hair. The child holds back tears, sniffing occassionally.

"You're going to send me away, aren't you?" Shaura says, lookign up at her father. He stares at her, stunned. Rin glances between them but says nothing, knowing. The talk in the castle had run rampant when it was discovered that Rin was with child, and many feared the lord's reaction to the hanyou child. The lords relationship with his half breed brother was no secret.

Sesshoumaru stares at the child a second then leans forward slowly.

"Now why would i send you away Shaura? Tell me why." She stares at him a moment then sighs, wiping a eye with the sleeve of her kimono.

"All the adults say that you hate hanyou's like your brother. They say because of your dad that when you return you'll send me away so you don't to look at me because i'm a half breed." Sesshoumaru glances at Rin and she nods, wrapping an arm around the child.

"I've done everything i can to shelter her from it, but lets just say i don't have your persuasive power at words." Rin says quietly. Sesshoumaru's anger seeths and he grinds his teeth. After a second he calms, reaching out slowly to hold out a hand to Shaura.

"Come here child." Shaura hesitates before Rin nudges her slightly and the child comes to stand before her father. Sesshoumaru studies her a second then smiles, scooping up the child quickly and sitting her in his lap.

"Listen to what i say. I dont' see a half breed, i don't see a hanyou when i look at you." She stares up at him, slightly confused. "I see my daughter, Shaura. I am not sending you away. I would never think of it. You are mine. You shall remain in this house with your mother and i and if anyone tells you otherwise, you let me know." Shaura nods, hesitating before leaning against his chest, curling a hand around a lock of his silver hair.

"Yes father."

Sesshoumaru glances up, seeing two servants down the path staring at them and he glowers at them. Getting an idea he suddenly stands, holding Shaura to his chest.

"Rin, come with me."

 

Once inside Sesshoumaru uses his free hand to grab his advisor.

"Every house member, servant, and staff in this house i want them in the dining hall now." He says, promising death if it is not carried out. The advisor nods, scurrying in the opposite direction as Sesshoumaru releaases him. Rin stares up at him questioningly and he smiles.

Five minutes later the house is empty, all staff and residents in the dining hall murmering to each other. Word had spread of the lords demand and rumors abound, naturally.

Sesshoumaru, Rin, and Shaura all stand outside the door, Sesshoumaru addressing his daughter.

"Now remember what i said. I'm not mad at you. Remember that." Shaura nods, clinging to her father's shirt as he suddenly throws open the doors, storming in. Rin follows hurriedly as he heads to the front of the room, jumping up onto the dias at the head of the room where he and his family usually dine.

"Everyone listen now!" He roars. The entire crowd is already silent, many staring up at him in fear. He knows that his eyes glow slighlty but he doesn't care, letting his anger out. He points a finger at Shaura and she watches the group closely.

"This is my daughter." He states. "Anyone who has any issue with her will speak to me now." No one moves. He glares at them and one woman at the end of the room faints. "If i ever hear the words hanyou or half breed out of any of your mouths, your deaths will not be swift." He says slowly, making sure his words are heard clearly as he gently cradles his daughter to his chest. "She is my daughter and a lady of this house. If i hear of her being treated otherwise...." His voice dies away and he sees many accepting nods through the group. With one final glance around the room he jumps down. "Everyone get back to work!" He thunders before striding out of the room.

 

Back in the garden they stand silent a second before Sesshoumaru sighs. Rin shakes her head slightly, a smile on her face and Shaura suddenly starts giggling. Both look at her and she looks up at her father with wide eyes.

"They were so scared of you!" She exclaims. "I could smell it!" Sesshoumaru laughs, touching his forehead to hers.

"Indeed they were. But there is a time and a place for that kind of behavior, on my part and theirs." She nods, leaning back slighlty to look at him, a mischevious twinkle in her eyes that he knows she gets from her mother.

"Can you teach me to do that?" He laughs.

"I definitally will. That and much more."