- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This was written for the IY Captions community at Live Journal, Week 3. This time we were given a set of pictures and had to select one. I chose #4 for the Picture prompt. The artwork was by Youkaiyoume at deviantART, and you can see it at http://youkaiyume.deviantart.com/art/SessKag-Everyday-Love- 76219504 . Yes, I took a picture that was clearly supposed to be Sesshomaru/Kagome and turned it into InuYasha/Kagome.
Author's Chapter Notes:
AU - Kagome's POV

Disclaimers: I do not own InuYasha or any of the manga/anime characters. They belong to the wonderful genius Rumiko Takahashi. I just enjoy making them play with each other. 


A Mid-Winter Night's Dream

I can't believe how nervous I am. Today is finally the day - the day my dream comes true.

I couldn't believe it when he finally proposed. It wasn't exactly as I'd always dreamed. You know, a proposal on bended knee with him looking deeply into my eyes, those deep golden eyes that I find almost hypnotizing framed by a mane of beautiful long white hair. Nor was it one of those well-planned proposals in a romantic restaurant where you think the waiter is bringing dessert, but when he removes the silver top from the tray there is a diamond engagement ring in the western tradition instead. No, his proposal wasn't anything like that. Instead, it was more along the lines of, "I know you're human, and I'm not, but will you marry me?" I think he half expected me to say no, but we could still be friends. I swear he actually blushed as he looked away, afraid of rejection. He was completely unprepared when I squealed and then launched myself at him. I think it may have finally begun to sink in when I wrapped my hands around his head with my thumbs at rubbing his cheeks and pulled his lips to mine for a kiss - probably the most intense kiss I'd ever experienced. I don't think he truly understands how much I love him and how beautiful he is to me. He may not be human, but I love him. I guess because he isn't human he doesn't completely understand the emotion. However, whether he will admit it or not, I know he loves me in his own way. He watches over me and makes certain no harm comes to me. When I was sick, he was right there by my side. I know that he respects me, and that he will be faithful to me. Yes, I'm pretty certain that he does love me. Maybe, one day, he will be able to tell me the words.

We set the date to one I'd always dreamed of. Yes, it was in the middle of winter, but it was Christmas Eve. You see, Christmas Eve has all kinds of romantic legends wrapped around it, including the legend that if you express your true feelings to each other that evening, your wish to always be together will come true. I figured what was a better confession than to exchange wedding vows and promise in front of the kami your love and devotion? I wanted to write some of my own vows for the ceremony, and he agreed. I hope that he will tell me that he loves me, and that he always wants to be with me then.

"Oh, kami, I hope I have everything." I am so nervous. My mother will have nearly everything I need when I reach the shrine. I anxiously shift the box that I have under my arm. I have the ceremonial bag and dagger along with my veil for my western style dress when I change at the reception wrapped in it. It will a be a small reception as compared to many, but it will be enough for us. I have on my coat and my boots. I look anxiously around, making sure that I have everything.

"Humans are so forgetful." I look into the golden eyes of the man that is wrapping a blue scarf around my neck. "We don't want you to catch cold, do we?"

I can't help but to blush as my eyes meet his intense amber ones. I'm so embarrassed. It is quite cold out; the temperature is well below the normal level even for this time of the year. "Thanks so much. You're right - this would be a horrible time to catch a cold."

"We shouldn't keep my brother waiting. He's a nervous wreck, you know. He still can't believe that you said yes, and he's afraid that he dreamed the entire thing. I told him I couldn't believe it, either. He's a very lucky man."

I can't help but to admire the man standing next to me. We thought we'd kill each other when we first met, but we finally reached an understanding. A lot of the time it involves agreeing to disagree. He is terribly handsome with the same golden eyes and long beautiful hair, though his is even whiter than his half-brother's. "Sesshomaru-sama, I know you and InuYasha have had your differences, but I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help with everything. I hope we will be able to repay you some day."

The full youkai looked solemn. "I waited far too long to make amends with my brother. He is the only family I have left and I spent too many years attempting to punish him for something that was not his fault. As long as he is finally happy, that is payment enough. Now, are you ready? Everyone will be waiting to help prepare you for the ceremony. I will attempt to keep InuYasha calm, though that's easier said than done. I do hope your grandfather doesn't seriously attempt to purify him."

I can't help but to sigh and smile. "It's a good thing that InuYasha is half human, or Jii-chan would probably have never accepted him. It was difficult enough as it was. But in the end, he agreed, though sometimes I wonder if Mama threatened him."

"She is a formidable woman," Sesshomaru said as he indicated that it really was time for us to leave.

I climb into the car and he closes the door before going around to the driver's side. Once we are on our way, I remark, "It sounds like you have some personal experience with my mother."

"Let's just say that she helped me to look at things in a different light." I can't quite discern the look that crosses his face as he watches the road before him.

Out of the blue he comments, "Are you certain that you don't want to change your mind and marry me instead?"

I shake my head and laugh. "Sorry, Sesshomaru-sama, but I look forward to having you as my brother-in-law. You know, I'm certain there is a girl out there somewhere just for you." I look at him and I would swear a slight blush crossed his cheeks. I have learned that he really isn't as cold and unfeeling as he pretends to be. And while I love him like a brother, his brother is the one I'm in love with.

"We're here."

I lean across the seat and give him a chaste kiss on the cheek. "Thank you again, Sesshomaru-sama."

He reaches over to wrap the blue scarf a little snugger around my neck. "Foolish human, but I guess you'll have to do. After tonight, you're part of my family, too."

My mother is walking towards us as the inuyoukai comes around to open my door for me. He is nothing if not well-mannered, so different from his brother who practically had to raise himself. I step out of the car, and I see the inuhanyou I love. I can't help but to run right by my mother and throw myself into his arms. "InuYasha." I wrap my arms around him as he folds me into his. At last, I'm where I belong.