- Text Size +

Chapter 4: The Unexpected

  

“Inuyasha,” she whispered

  

He was in a bad state. He was dirty and was covered in blood that was pouring out of his wounds. Finally Kagome was able to pull all her emotions together.

  

‘He will have a lot to answer later on’

  

“Ayumi, carry these two bags to the Crystal Cave and leave them there. Go home and don’t tell anyone of this encounter. If anyone asks on my whereabouts, say that I’m traveling to a faraway town to aid a miko there. Could I trust you with that?” asked Kagome.

  

“Yes, it would be an honor to help you, Lady Kagome,” answered Ayumi.

  

Ayumi was very proud that Lady Kagome trusted her. She ran off towards the direction of the cave. Kagome went over to Inuyasha and helped him to his feet. Then she guided him onto her back and half dragged, half carried him to the cave. When she got there, the bags were there already. Using her spiritual powers she scanned the area to check for disturbance. When finding none, she dragged him and the bags deep into the cave. Then she sunshield a barrier around a big rock. The rock showed an opening behind it and Kagome dragged Inuyasha over to a futon on the floor, and laid him down.

  

‘What could have done this to him?’

  

The sight of him broke her heart. His clothes were tattered. His face looked like he had matured. Sighing, she went to the inside spring and got a bucket of warm water. She came back to clean his wounds. After that she looked at his beautiful silver hair that was now matted with blood. Carefully, using the shampoo that she had left, she washed his hair. Inuyasha started to stir. His eyes opened and he started at her.

  

“Kagome?” he whispered in confusion.

     

Inuyasha was conscious; he just couldn’t open his eyes. He felt water on his chest and then his head. It was a relief. He felt clean again. And then there was a small pair of hands on his head rubbing it gently. It gave him the strength to open his eyes.

  

‘Is that Kagome? She looked so different. Those eyes, what happened to them? The flame of determination and life they once held is gone. Those dark brown eyes held wisdom and sorrow beyond her years. They tell a story that someone like her should have never been through. Those lips don’t smile as they used to. The clothes...she changed to miko garbs. She looks good but she looks like…like Kikyo,’ thought Inuyasha as he studies her.

  

“Kagome?” he asked.

  

All that he received was a glare and a nod. He was glad to find her at last but there was something different about her that he couldn’t tell.

  

“There’s a hot spring inside. Just walk for about five minutes down that path and turn left. You should go and wash your wounds. I’m going to gather herbs for them,” said Kagome as she pointed her finger to the direction of the spring.

  

Inuyasha was going to protest but he was too tired to do so. Grunting he stood up and walked deep into the cave. Looking back he saw Kagome leave the cave’s entrance.

     

“Why is he here?” Kagome muttered to herself.

  

While walking all she could do was think about a certain half demon. No matter how hard she tried to, she couldn’t stop going soft for him again. It took all she had not to cry in front of him.

  

‘I will not go weak because of him…I won’t…not again…not this time.’

  

Just then there was a rustle in the bush and Kagome noticed a demonic aura. Then out behind a bush stepped out a pig demon.

  

“Oh great,” muttered Kagome.

     

Inuyasha was in the spring with nothing but his pants on. He was washing his wound carefully, wincing slightly.

  

‘Since when was she so serious? She used to be so care free,’ he wondered.

  

Just then he smelled a pig demon near by.

  

‘Kagome! She might be in trouble. Hold on Kagome, I’m coming’

 

Not noticing any of the pain from his wounds, he ran towards the demonic aura. When he got there, the scene before his eyes shocked him.

  

“What the….Kagome?” he asked.

  

Right there in front of his eyes was Kagome. She didn’t notice him. She raised her hands. They glowed pink then a ray of light shot out from her palm and direct itself at the demon, purifying it in second. That was when she noticed him.

  

“Inuyasha.”

     

“So you’re the Shikon Miko, huh?” asked the demon.

  

“Maybe, maybe not,” answered Kagome icily.

  

“Stop playing around. Give me the shards, I could sense them.” Said the demon in a commanding tone.

 

“If you go away now, your life would still be spared. If you keep insisting on getting the shards, I will have no choice but to kill you,” said Kagome.

  

“As if. Give me the shard and I’ll make your death more quickly,” answered the pig demon.

  

“You had your chance,” answered Kagome.

  

Raising her hand she purified him. Then sensing another demonic aura she turned around to see Inuyasha gaping at her.

  

“Inuyasha?” asked Kagome. After getting no respond she said, “Inu- Yashaaa, are you ok?”

  

Inuyasha was in his own world. When he heard someone calling him, he snapped back.

  

“Yeah, I’m here,” he answered.

  

“Why are you so surprised? You don’t think that I’m still that weak do you? I told you that I was no longer that weak Kagome.”

 

‘Great, he still think that I’m his weak Kagome that always need protecting,’ thought Kagome.

  

“Where did you learn that?” asked Inuyasha once he could talk again.

  

“Myself. I trained myself on the way to the village and some more in the village,” answered Kagome.

  

“Village? What village?” asked Inuyasha in confusion.

  

“No questions for now. Let’s talk later. I have to treat your wounds.” Said Kagome seriously again.

     

After applying herbs to his wounds, Kagome bandaged then up. Inuyasha could tell that something was different. Then he remembered. Whenever he got wounded she would be prancing around him making sure that he was alright and keep asking questions. Now…she’s just too quiet.

  

Kagome could tell that Inuyasha was staring at her, and she was getting annoyed.

  

‘What’s he doing? Comparing me with Kikyo again?’

  

“I’m pretty sure that you have a lot of questions for me. I also have a few questions for you,” said Kagome suddenly, breaking the silence.

  

The tone of Kagome’s voice scared Inuyasha. It was commanding and with no emotions. She sounded like Sesshomaru, that wasn’t a good sign.

  

“Inuyasha what are you doing here, so far from the others?” asked Kagome.

  

“I was looking for you Kagome,” said Inuyasha in a hurtful voice.

  

Kagome regretted her harsh tone when she heard Inuyasha’s voice. ‘I can’t go soft on him. Not again. I have to let him go,’

  

“As you can see Inuyasha, I’m perfectly fine,” said Kagome, her voice softer.

  

“Kagome, I don’t get it. Why did you leave?” asked Inuyasha.

  

“You know perfectly why I left. I told it to you in the letter,” whispered Kagome

  

“Kagome, I’m sorry. Come back to us. Shippo, Sango, Miroku needs you….I NEED YOU,” whispered Inuyasha.

  

Kagome nearly broke down and cry when she heard that.

  

‘Oh Inuyasha! I’ve waited so long to hear you say that. I just can’t believe you now...It’s just too late to turn around,’

  

Kagome was relieved when she sensed a powerful demonic aura. At least it can distract her from Inuyasha. In a flash she was up with her bow and arrows in her hand.

 

“Stay here Inuyasha. What ever happen, DON”T come out,” said Kagome. Inuyasha was so surprised by her demanding tone that he nodded.

   

‘Who in the world could this be? The aura is so strong, it might even surpass Naraku. What could it be doing here?’

  

Kagome was getting worried. She walked outside and took in the surrounding. The wind was blowing hard. Thunder clapped and lightning crackled. It was raining and the sky was dark and dreary. Kagome could sense an aura coming towards her fast. Her hand gripped her bow and she stared up into the sky. Then coming into view was none other than Lord Sesshomaru, on his yokai cloud. On his arm was a human girl.

  

‘Oh great, my day couldn’t get any better,’ thought Kagome.

  

Sesshomaru stopped in front of her. He let her eyes inspect his human ward, Rin who was deathly pale.

  

“What happened to her,” asked Kagome once she was finish inspecting.

  

“She was hit with Naraku’s miasma,” said Sesshomaru.

  

For a moment Kagome thought she saw a guilty look in his golden orbs before they turned back to their emotionless state.

  

“You will help her, Miko,” stated Sesshomaru.

  

“Yes I will help her. It is my job and it would do you good if you don’t try to order THIS KAGOME again, LORD Sesshomaru,” said Kagome with sarcasms laced into her voice.

  

She knew that she’s playing a dangerous game mocking him but she need to show him that she is not afraid of him.