- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I do not own Inuyasha, that pleasure belongs to the great Rumiko alone
"Awww...it has to be from the perv," Sango cried...as she retrieved a small white teddy bear from her mail cubby. As she held it up for her friends to see, they noticed the little box of chocolate it was holding.

Once again it was White Day at Shikon Prep, and now that it was lunch period girls were clammoring to their mail cubbies to see if they received anything.

”Uh! I sent Koga two whole boxes of chocolate on Valentines day! Two boxes! And what do I get? A thank you note and a chocolate sucker. That asshole!” A crumpled paper fell from Ayame's clenched fist, and was promptly trod on by her school uniform standard loafers.

“He’s a bastard! You knew that when you sent him the chocolate!” Sango exclaimed as she stuck out her tongue at her friend, and snuggled her bear.

“Keep flaunting that bear, Kishimoto, and you’ll find it’s head in your mail cubby,” Ayame threatened.

“Now, now ladies...Its White Day! Time to be happy...and to get all you can from the boys,” Kagome said with a wink, causing her friends to laugh.

“So what did you get any gifts today?” Sango asked while trying to peek into her friends mail hole. Kagome rolled her eyes and pushed Sango’s head away.

“Nothing. I didn’t send out any Valentines and I don’t expect anything for White Day. It’s overated anyway.

A shrill, high pitched voice sounded from the corner. “Of course Higurashi wouldn’t get anything. She’s such a prude, who’d be interested in her?” It was Kikyo, self appointed ‘most popular girl’ and the thorn in Kagome’s side. Ever since Kagome had got the lead part in the class play last year, Kikyo had it out for her.

Kikyo stood in the corner of the office and was talking to her friend Kagura. She was trying to sound like she was having a regular conversation with Kagura but everyone knew it was a ploy to bait Kagome into an argument. It wasn't working however.

“Just forget her. You know she's jealous. She's just trying to get a reaction out of you," Ayame hissed, fixing a death glare at the offending girl.

“Yeah Kags, lets just go...lunch is almost over anyway” Sango said rolling her eyes at Kikyo. Kikyo just smirked in return.

“Yeah Ka-go-me, just leave. No one wants you here anyway,” Kikyo laughed cruelly. “Hey Inu!” She called out his name quite loudly, signaling to everyone that her boyfriend, Inuyasha, had just entered the room.

“Hey Kiks.” His warm greeting was cut short as she placed a drawn out and overly dramatic kiss on his lips. He grinned at her as he slipped his arms around her waist. Kikyo and Inuyasha were, to the outsider looking in, a perfect couple. Kikyo was head cheerleader and Inuyasha was captain of the football team, a most expected pairing if there ever was one in high school. The couple had even won the title "Cutest Couple" every year since they were freshman.

“Inu, I was just telling the trash over there how unimportant she is. Don’t you agree?” Kikyo asked evily with a bat of her eyelashes as she pointed to Kagome. Kagome, meanwhile, was glaring daggers and ready to pounce on the girl.

Inuyasha’s heart started hammering in his chest and it took all his focus not to blush. No one knew that had the hugest crush on Kagome Higurashi, especially his "perfect" girlfriend. He really didn't like the way Kikyo taunted her, but the fear of what she might do if she found out about his feelings for the girl...he planned to take that secret to his grave.

Kagome’s steely glare went back and forth from the blushing boy and the witch clinging to his waistband. “The only trash I see here is you, Kikyo,” Kagome retorted, and then pointed at Inuyasha. “But then I see you're well aquainted with Garbage Boy.” Angry at herself for stooping to Kikyo's level, Kagome stormed out of the room, and was quickly followed by Sango and Ayame.

“She is such a bitch! One day, I swear I’m going to knock her off her rocker. What have you ever done to make her feel the need to act like that towards you?” Sango asked as the friends stalked away from the mailroom.

“Not if I get my hands on her first...she’ll never be able to say another word!” Ayame snarled, cracking her knuckles.

“It's over guys. Let's just enjoy the rest of the day, Kikyo-free.”

“I wish I had tolerance like you Kags. She sat there and talked shit in your face and you stayed calm. You must be the reincarnation of a saint!” Sango bowed low to Kagome, laughing as she mockingly reiterated her point.

“Yeah Kaggie, I couldn’t do it like you,”Ayame giggled.

“Well, I wouldn't say that I acted the saint in there. But it doesn’t really bother me when she acts like that because to me, that's Kikyo’s way of complimenting me. If she didn’t find me a threat she wouldn’t bash on me. So I take it in stride because deep down, I think she wants to be me.”

“Impart on us your wisdom!” Sango said as she gave another bow.

______________________________

Silently, he stalked through the now empty mailroom. He was donning the black hoodie that he kept in his locker, concealing most of his face with a bandanna for good measure. He quickly approached the appropriate mail cubby, placing in it a small box of chocolates. With a look over his shoulder, the masked chocolate giver slipped into the hallway and made to re-enter his eighth period class.

_____________________________

“I hope we didn’t get a flyer for that party that happens every year.” Sango growled as the trio made there way to their mail cubbies at the end of the day. There had been an announcement about the event over the PA and she didn't feel like she needed to read about it as well.

“Hey guys!” A small, dark-haired girl ran up to the group, clutching books in her arms while trying to keep her already short uniform skirt smoothed out.

“Hey Rin, haven’t seen ya at all today!” Kagome greeted her joining friend, turning their trio a quartet.

“Sorry! That bitch of an english teacher gave me lunch detention for being ‘fresh’,” Rin said, adding emphasis with air quotes, “ I haven’t even eaten, said she didn’t want ‘trash’ in her room.” The young girl rolled her eyes in remembrance.

“Don’t worry we’ll hit up a McDonalds just for you,” Ayame said with a grin.

“I knew I could count on you guys, you won’t let me go hungry.”

“Nothing in here...” Ayame said, taking a peek into her mail cubby.

“Me either,” Sango said checking hers. "Good! Less papers to try and keep track of.”

“I don”t have anything either, except this stupid love letter from Hiten. That boy so stupid, he can't get it through his thick head that I’m taken!” She threw the crumpled the paper into the trash with far more force than necessary.

“ Oooh!You and mister college boy still together??” Sango giggled.

“Of course! Sesshy and I are together forever. Hiten is so stupid."

“Okay, which one of you did it?” Kagome asked, red in the face as she held up a small box of chocolates.

“Wow Kaggie, who gave you the chocolates?” Ayame questioned pointing at the box.

“Thats what I would like to know! So spill, this isn’t funny.”

“I didn’t do it.”

“Me either.”

“What would I look like buying you chocolate?”

“Are you guys sure?” Kagome folded her arms as she tried to find the truth in her friends' eyes.

“Why would we joke about something like that, Kagome? That's embrassing and demeaning, not to mention a complete waste of time and good chocolate,” Sango answered, already heading out the door.

“You know, I wouldn't put it past Kikyo to try something like this." Ayame took the chocolate from Kagome, sniffing it in inspection. "She’s such a petty bitch, she’d do it too.”

“I wonder if it was that freshman who tried to kiss you at Kimiko’s party. He was all over you! Maybe he thinks you might like him?” Rin giggled, snatching the chocolate from her. “Whoever gave it too you didn’t want you to know who they were anyway. There's no note or anything.” Rin said as she tossed the box into the trash.

“Yeah come on, Kags. I think McDonalds is calling my name now.” Ayame held her stomach as she followed the other girls out of the mailroom.

Kagome stood for a moment, staring longingly at the waste basket with the chocolates sitting on top. 'It wouldn't be from him,' she thought sadly. Sighing, she followed after her friends. White Day was always her least favorite day. The only guy that she had ever really liked was going out with her enemy, Kikyo. She would never admit her feelings to anyone. For one thing, it would give Kikyo something to rag on her about. The other problem was the she and Kikyo had always been at odds with each other...she doubted that he even had an inkling of affection for her. 'A silly little crush shouldn’t matter so much.' Following after her friends, Kagome decided to try and forget about the mystery chocolate. It was a once a year deal anyway, so there was no sense in getting her hopes up over nothing.

Right?