- Text Size +
Kagome walked down the hallways, pondering what she should do. I should probably take a bath, haven’t done that in awhile. She turned around and made her way back to the gardens, deciding to ask Fluffy if he had a hot spring near his castle. Stepping into the gardens once more, Kagome found Sesshoumaru in the same spot as before. He seemed to be in deep thought. She tapped him lightly on the shoulder.

“Fluffy-san?”

He didn’t turn around, but Kagome could tell he was listening.

“Are there any hot springs near your castle?”

“The castle is built around one.”

“Can you take me to it?”

Sesshoumaru snapped his fingers, and a servant appeared at his side. He said something to the servant, and it bustled off.

“Come,” he said simply.

Kagome followed him as he moved off the fountain elegantly and started towards the waterfall. As they got closer, Kagome started to question Fluffy’s actions. When Sesshoumaru jumped into the pond, she began to question his sanity. However, she didn’t voice her thoughts and just followed the Great Lord. She followed him to the waterfall and was about to ask him what was going on when he just walked through it. Kagome hesitated before following him. Once she passed the curtain of thundering water, she was flabbergasted by what she saw.

“Hot springs!”

A gentle waterfall fell into one spring, the spring that was in front of her. Above that spring was another, into which more water fell. This pattern continued, making six springs, each one on a different level. The springs all fell on a stair step pattern, each spring on a different ‘step.’ Bridges of stone led upwards and downwards from level to level.

Kagome felt two strong arms wrap around her waist. When she was just about to call Fluffy a pervert, he jumped up to the second spring from the top, Kagome in tow.

“This spring can be yours for the time being,” Sesshoumaru stated plainly.

Kagome saw some towels near the spring, with her kimono propped on top.

“Arigatoo, Sesshoumaru-sama.”

Fluffy walked to the far wall, about a hundred steps away from the spring, and leaned against the wall. He turned his face away from Kagome and stared into space. She seemed a little confused by his actions, but slipped out of his armor and kimono she was wearing and slipped into the spring. Kagome watched him wearily, but he didn’t make any move to go towards her, and he didn’t look at her, just stared into space.

~*~*~*~

In Fluffy’s Mind

If that hanyou died, then the Tetsusaiga is rightfully mine. However, I CANNOT EVEN TOUCH IT. What’s the point if I can’t touch it? How did he die? Can I still obtain it from him? Maybe I should ask that girl, Kagome… she would know. Why am I still standing here? I should be out looking for that sword. I need it. But I need to make sure that girl doesn’t escape…but why? I don’t really need her anymore. There is no one to trade her to…I can just take the Tetsusaiga. She would only be in my way.

~*~*~*~

To reality again

Sesshoumaru saw Kagome in his peripheral vision. Her back was to him. She dove in and out of the water. He decided to ask her a couple of questions.

“How did Inu-Yasha die?”

Kagome seemed a little startled at the sound of his voice. She turned her head slightly, making sure he wasn’t looking at her, which he wasn’t.

“He was pulled into hell by his lover,” her voice seemed a little cold and harsh. She just kept on diving in and out of the water, trying to calm her heated emotions.

~*~*~*~

In Kagome’s Mind

Why can’t I let go? He loved her. She loved him…in a twisted and cruel way…but he’s happy. That’s all I can wish for, that’s all he needs. He’s happy…as long as he’s happy, I’m happy…I’m happy. Sesshoumaru is going to kill me soon anyways. I’m an annoyance to his ‘great presence.’ I’m going to die…alone…why doesn’t he kill me right now?

~*~*~*~

To reality again

Kagome turned her head to look at Sesshoumaru again. He seemed to be staring out into space, but his attention was not anywhere in his mind. She could tell he was studying her in his peripheral vision, studying everything about her, her expression, her form, her mood, her actions, everything.

“Did you…love him?”

Kagome was, again, surprised by his voice. This time, she had been intently studying him through her peripheral vision. She was also surprised by his question.

“Love? What do you know of love?” her voice was even harsher than before. It was so harsh; it surprised even her. She turned her head more directly toward him, speaking in a softer tone, more gentle.

“I did…”

He glanced directly at her for a moment, then turned back to the wall. He had been hurt by her words. The movement of a single girl’s lips had hurt him, the great Sesshoumaru. Pain burned in his heart. Love? What do you know of love? The words were like knives; a thousand knives jabbed into his chest with each word that she flung at him. But, there was something else in his heart. There was a feeling there that he had been trained to hide, like all other feelings that his heart was void of. What was it? Jealousy. The cold stab of jealousy. Why? Why jealousy? Why was such an emotion taking its hold now? All his life, he had been jealous of Inu-Yasha. The hanyou never had to hide his emotions. He could show sorrow, jealousy, anger, everything he had felt. Sesshoumaru, though, had to hide all his emotions. He had to be a cold, emotionless youkai to be feared throughout the Western Lands. Now, the cold stab of jealousy was plaguing him. Why? My brother is dead. What’s there to be jealous of in a dead corpse? Everlasting sleep? He felt a light tap on his shoulder. Turning around, he saw Kagome standing next to him, fully clothed.

“Is there any way out of here that doesn’t require getting wet?” Kagome asked, glancing at the waterfall.

Sesshoumaru nodded and started walking away. Kagome followed silently, wrapped in her own thoughts. She was so absorbed in her thinking that she didn’t notice him stop. She felt herself bump into something warm. Blushing slightly, she backed up and bowed deeply.

“Gomen nasai,” she said softly.

She found him looking down at her with his expressionless face. He started to walk away, and Kagome felt she should say something. She caught his wrist, and he stopped walking, turning his head to her.

“Gomen nasai, I didn’t mean what I said earlier. I was just a little…upset. I’m sorry.”

With that, she let go of his wrist, slid open the door to her room and walked in, silently closing the door. Sesshoumaru stood rooted to his position. She apologized… His eyes softened a little. He walked away, down the hallways and corridors, to his room.