- Text Size +
 

Ch.7
Bear With Me”

In a field not too far away from Kagome and friends, the still homeless bear demon waited patiently. The smell of fish and a female cat demon led the bear to the campsite. He sat in the grass and readied himself for battle.

 

Earlier that night…

Inuyasha lay curled up in a tree, sleeping. Kiachi pushed on his shoulder.

“Wake up, Inuyasha. We have to go now.”

Inuyasha brought his arm up slowly then dropped his fist on Kiachi’s head. “Leave me alone.”

Kiachi rubbed his sore head. “Ow! Now what’s your problem? You’re such a drama queen!”

Inuyasha pushed himself up and grabbed Kiachi by his whiskers.

“Listen, vermin. I just found out the mouth I’m using has had my brother’s crazy, twisted tongue swimming around in it! Do you have any idea how wrong this is?”

Kiachi shrugged. “I’m a rat. We mate with our own siblings. I don’t know why you’re complaining. Be thankful that you’re not the one who made out with him.”

Inuyasha stared blankly at the rodent for a minute. He dropped Kiachi and lay back down.

“I’m still not going anywhere. I have cramps.”

Kiachi tilted his head. “What? Cramps? You know, you’re acting so…frilly lately.”

“Frilly? What the hell is that suppose to mean!”

“You’re beginning to act…like Plentiku.”

Inuyasha rolled his eyes. “Whatever. It won’t hurt to miss a night of traveling. It’s not like we have a time limit or anything.”

Kiachi sighed and sat down on a rock. He looked up at Inuyasha, who was beginning to act more and more comfortable in the forest. Inuyasha, too, felt things were changing. He had an incredible urge to just open up his feelings and let his emotions flow…

 

Later

Kagome and the group all sat around the fire eating fish. Half of Sango’s hair was in a tight bun. The other half was down and her bangs hung over her eyes. Plentiku had Kagome put Inuyasha’s hair in a ponytail. Everyone was quiet as they ate. Plentiku broke the silence.

“I smell something.”

Everyone stopped and looked at her. She sniffed again.

“It’s big.”

Suddenly, a huge bear leapt out from behind Plentiku. It roared ferociously. Everyone jumped back. The bear gulped down all the fish.

“Hey! It ate our dinner!” Shippo whined.

“At least it didn’t eat us.” Miroku added.

Kagome nudged Plentiku. “Go get it with the Tetsusaiga!”

“Who?”

“Your sword!”

Plentiku looked down at the handle of what appeared to be a very old sword. She reached for it. It sparked. Plentiku yelped and pulled her burned hand back. She glared at Kagome.

“Is this some kind of sick joke?”

The bear ignored everyone. His eyes were now set on Kirara. He’d followed her scent all the way there. He growled at her softly. She hissed, rejecting the bear’s advances. The frustrated bear charged her. He was going to have her whether she liked it or not. Sango grabbed her weapon and whipped it at the bear. He stopped his charge momentarily to swipe at the boomerang. It cracked and fell to the ground. Kagome tugged at Plentiku’s shoulder.

“You can’t wield the Tetsusaiga and Sango’s haraikutso didn’t work! This is the part where you take me on your back, run at the demon, and let me shoot it with my arrow!”

Plentiku looked at Miroku.

“And just what are you standing around for? Go make yourself useful! Whack it a few times with that big stick you carry around!”

Miroku frowned. “’Whacking it’ a few times with my staff will only anger it more. And if I use my wind-tunnel, it will suck in Kirara as well.”

Plentiku was raging now. “Geez, you people are so damn helpless without Inuyasha! I’ll take care of the demon!”

Plentiku took off after the bear, which was currently and awkwardly positioning itself atop a less-then-willing Kirara. Plentiku jumped high in the air, landing on the massive demon’s head. It growled and struck at her. She noticed a leather string hanging off one of the beast’s claws. Paying it no mind, she dodged it and slashed open the bear’s muzzle with her own claws. It reared up and roared painfully. Seeing this male half-demon protecting Kirara drove the bear away. He’d have to find a female and a territory elsewhere again. Plentiku leaned over to Kirara and winked.

“I know what that demon was thinking. You’re cute and all, but I don’t swing that way.”

Kagome and the others eagerly ran to Plentiku. Sango hugged Kirara.

“That was amazing!”

“I didn’t know you had it in you, Plentiku!” Kagome added.

Plentiku shrugged. “Neither did I. Of course I’m a lot more useful then that lazy monk!”

Miroku stared at the others. “Call me crazy, but that is something Inuyasha would say, don’t you think?”

The girls looked at each other and nodded. Plentiku gasped.

“Oh, my gosh, he’s right. I have been feeling a little irritable lately.”

The group exchanged worried looks. Plentiku sniffed the air. “Oh, no. Now I’m smelling cow.”

A second later, a bull with 3 eyes landed before them.

“That’s Totosai’s bull, isn’t it?” Shippo asked.

“It is, but no one is riding it.” Miroku pointed out (Thank you, Captain Obvious.)

Plentiku flinched suddenly. “Ow, what the…”

A tiny flea was on her chest, sucking her blood. It lifted its head.

“Ah, you must be Plentiku!”

Plentiku shouted and began flailing around. GET IT OFFA ME!”

Myoga hopped off quickly before getting squished. He took refuge on Kagome’s shoulder.

“Jumpy, isn’t she?” He asked.

“Myoga, what’re you doing here?” Kagome asked.

“Well, when Lady Kaede told me about this yesterday, I just had to see it for myself. Nice hair!” Myoga laughed.

“She told you yesterday? Impossible. We’ve been traveling for 2 days. How could you make it here in only one?” Miroku asked.

“Oh, Totosai’s bull is quite fast. Cuts any travel time in half.”

Everyone looked at each other and nodded in agreement. Kagome grabbed Plentiku and both climbed on the bull.

“I’ll take Plentiku and ride ahead, okay?” Kagome said.

Sango and Miroku nodded.

“We’ll catch up.” Sango said.

Before anyone could blink, Kagome and Plentiku were off. Myoga hopped up and down frantically.

“Wait! I have to tell you something! Kagome!”

Miroku and Sango bent down.

“What is it, Myoga?” Sango asked.

“What did you forget to say?” Miroku questioned.


As the sun began to peek over the mountains, a tall, white figure watched. The wind blew back his long, silver hair. This particular breeze carried the scent of raccoon. Sesshomaru breathed in the delicious scent. He ran his tongue over his front teeth.

That sweet smell. My Plentiku, I must have you…tonight…