- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Please review! I don’t know if this idea has ever been explored before or even if you guys like this type of relationship, but it just popped into my head one day (like all good stories do) and I couldn’t resist the temptation. Next chapter should be up soon, but you know me and my updating schedule. (No, really. It should be up relatively quickly, although I’ve got some events I’m helping out with at school over the next few days that might delay the process.)

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha or anything associated with it. Including touchy-feely demon lords.

The Warmth of Ice
Chapter One

-

Thunk. She set her backpack on the rim of the well and pushed it over on to the ground, pulling herself up out of the dark interior. “Ugh!” she sighed, wiping her hand on her forehead to remove the built-up sweat. It was hard work climbing out of the 500-year-old well, even after having done it repeatedly for the past three years. She turned and studied the dusty stairs leading up and out of the small well house in a minute of contemplative silence. It’s been a busy week in the feudal era, she mused, but all I’d like to do now is say hi to Mom, Gramps, and Souta and take a nice, long shower. With lots of soap. She inwardly cringed. The feudal era wasn’t exactly famous for its impeccable cleanliness. Half the villagers she met seemed like they were afraid to take baths. Yup, gotta love the soap. Lifting her legs over the rim of the well and standing up, she began trudging up the old steps, creak by creak, pushing the sliding wooden door open at the top. Lifting her head towards the night sky, she let the cool spring air wash over her and invade the stuffiness of the well house. “Aaah…” she whispered. “This feels great!” Energy renewed, she hefted the yellow monstrosity that was her bag onto one shoulder and ran all the way to the front door of her home, giddy with joy that she’d be seeing her family at last after a month of continuous trekking. They were probably pretty worried about her.

She slid the door open and stepped into the warm foyer, preparing to greet her family. Sliding her shoes off and dumping her yellow pack ungraciously on the floor next to the door, she called out, “Mom! Grandpa! Souta! I’m home! Where are you?”

Hearing voices in the direction of the living room, she pinpointed their whereabouts and ventured forward with a quick smile before a voice halted her. “Kagome? Is that you? Could you come in here for a minute, dear?” her mother’s voice hailed from the kitchen door.

“Mom! Hey! I missed you!” the girl laughed, running across the carpet into the kitchen to embrace her mother.

Hiroko sighed, hugging her daughter, and wondered how to break the news. It was sure to impact Kagome’s life in some way, she knew, but she hoped her eldest child would take it well. “I missed you too, honey. But before you go and greet the others, I need to talk to you about something.”

Kagome pulled out of the hug and eyed her mother suspiciously. What was this? “Mom, don’t tell me you accepted Hojo’s proposal to marry me on my behalf or anything… Because you know I would never forgive you if you did that,” she chuckled. “So what’s up?”

Her mom sighed wistfully and stared in the direction of the family room. “Well, Kagome, you know how you and Souta encouraged me to get on with my life after your dad died? How you told me to relax and that it was okay to look for a new man?”

Kagome looked up, knowing where this must be going. It was a good thing, though, if her mom had found a new guy. She’d been devastated over her husband’s death for years and Kagome and Souta were unhappy seeing her miserable stare on what had been their parents’ anniversary every year. “So?” she prompted. Her mom certainly looked happy now.

“You’re not going to believe it, Kagome, but I’ve found the perfect man! I won’t say that he’s better than your father, because I’ll always love him inside, but Hideki is the most wonderful man I’ve had the fortune to meet for years.” Her mother sighed, a glazed look to her eyes that made her seem like a lovesick high school girl.

Kagome smiled. If this guy made her mom happy he could be the devil himself and she’d still accept him. “How long have you known him, mom? You seem pretty into him.”

Hiroko snapped back to reality and answered her daughter’s question seriously. “I first met him almost two years ago at a conference in Hokkaido. The hospital I worked at back then was being sponsored for the year by his company – Dai Industries – and I met him there. We’ve kept in contact over the years and formally started going out six months ago. He’s really amazing, Kagome, and we love each other. Do you want to hear the best part?”

Kagome was becoming happier at every passing moment but was getting tired of smiling. Dropping the grin and replacing it with a small smile, she told her mother that yes, she would love to hear the best part. The previous information had been so wonderful that the best part was surely going to be a full-fledged miracle! This Hideki guy was sounding awfully good to her. She couldn’t wait to meet the person who had made her mom so happy!

“Kagome, he proposed yesterday. We’re engaged!” her mom whispered jubilantly.

All thought processes in Kagome’s mind stopped.

Her mom was getting re-married.

She had a new dad.

Her mom was sincerely happy.

Woah, information overload. Let’s take it slowly from here.

“Mom, I’m so happy for you! Does Souta like him? When can I meet him? When’s the wedding? Do I get to be the maid of honor?” she gasped out in one breath.

Laughing, her mom answered all the questions. “Souta is obsessed with his new father figure! He says that ‘Hideki’s like Inuyasha, but a gazillion times better’! We haven’t planned the wedding yet. Yes, you’re the maid of honor – Hideki doesn’t have any close relatives. And you can meet him right now! He’s just over in the living room with Souta and your grandfather!”

Kagome perked up at the thought of getting to meet this awesome guy sooner than she thought possible. Her mom grabbed her hand and led her down the hall into the living room, where the TV was on and laughter was emanating in waves. Was that Gramps’ laughter? Wow, this Hideki must be one hell of a guy to capture all the Higurashi hearts at once!

Turning the corner into the room, Hiroko announced over the sound of the TV, “Souta, dear, would you turn that thing off? We have introductions to make.” Pushing Kagome in front of her, she marched her daughter over to the middle of the room and turned her toward the figure on the couch. He’d been positioned sideways so as to talk to the old man on the other side of the couch, and he turned and faced Kagome with a swish of his silver hair, his brown eyes welcoming her into their depths.

The girl took one look at the man whose features told of a demon lord centuries past and let the darkness overtake her mind.