- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Here we are. More family time for them all. I'll tell you now, I'm not adding anyone from hte modern era of the show or the manga in this story.

After entering the house, I set Kikyou on her feet, and picked a sleeping Inuyasha off of Shippo’s back. “Momma, where are you?” I called as I made my way to Inuyasha’s room. Carefully, I laid him in the bed, tucked him under his cover, and quietly left the room. “In the kitchen, Kagome. Who’s with you? I don’t remember four people with you when you left.” My Okaa-san called back.

“Come out of the kitchen; we have a visitor.” I told her cryptically. As my Okaa-san entered the spacious room, she smiled wide and hugged Kouga-kun tightly; causing him to make an ‘oomph’ sound at the impact. “Welcome back, Kouga-kun. What brings you here?” she asked pulling back and making her way to the kitchen. “I decided to visit while I had some spare time before the peace festival next week.” He answered.

“Ah, and how is the peace festival looking this year?” she questioned. “Well, it looks alright. I’d much rather not have to put it together this year. I’m not very good putting together parties.” Kouga-kun sighed. “Remember last time, and you accidentally gave the lord of the south a tray of mice? He was so angry.” I recalled, laughing at the memory as if it had been just yesterday.

“It wasn’t that funny, Kagome.” Kouga-kun muttered, pouting. “I’m sorry, Kouga-kun. I just haven’t had occasion to laugh in a few days.” I told him, picking up a sleep Kikyou and turning to her room. As I laid her in her bed, she hugged me close; surprising me with how strong she’d gotten lately. “Go to sleep for now, Kikyou. I’ll come and wake you up in a little while. I promise.” I told her, pulling her arms from around me.

The moment her head hit the pillow, she was out. I tucked her into her cover and left the room. “Are you tired, Shippo?” I asked him, smiling softly when he simply nodded. Even though he was almost as tall as me, I picked him up and carried him to my room, and laid him on my bed. As I entered the room again, I saw Kouga-kun’s mischievous smile and did my best not to blush.

“What?” I asked. “You would make a wonderful mother, Kagome.” He said, smiling wider. “Hush, Kouga-kun. I am an Okaa-san, sort of. I’m Shippo’s Okaa-san now. And that’s all I need.” I told him. “Eventually, you’ll want a mate, and children of your own flesh and blood.” he retorted. “I may not have given birth to Shippo, but he is my musuko and I don’t want you to say otherwise because I won’t listen. I don’t want a mate. I’m perfectly fine with the way things are now.” I whispered.

“Kagome, you adopted that boy. Your maternal instincts are some of the best I know. Not even most ningen would take in an orphaned child as their own. And man would be lucky to have you.” He pushed. “Enough, Kouga-kun. I am not going to meet any of those suitors you think would be food for me. You’re my friend; so please respect my decision and stop trying to convince me to marry.” I sighed.

He finally nodded and I sat with him while momma was in the kitchen. I knew if I tried to help she’d just chase me out of the kitchen, so I didn’t even try anymore.

A little before dinner was ready, I heard Sango running to the house, and smelt the scent of tears in the air. “Oh no. Stay in the house.” I told Kouga-kun. I didn’t wait for a response, just ran out the door to catch Sango. “Sango, what’s wrong?” I asked, catching her arm and spinning her to face me. “That stupid Miroku. He can’t keep his stupid hands or comments to himself. He was flirting with the village girls!” she yelled, anger and hurt clearly ringing in her voice.

I hugged her, and lead her to the tree line for a little bit of privacy while we talked. “Sango, honestly, why are you traveling with him?” I asked. “Because I love him. He’s my intended.” She answered. “Then set him straight. I know it has to hurt when he flirts with village girls. Don’t let him keep hurting you.” I asserted.

“But”- “No buts. As long as you let him flirt without consequences he will continue to do so. I will not see you hurt again.” I told her “He does have consequences.” Sango muttered. “Being unconscious doesn’t work forever. Tell him how he hurts you; he’ll stop.” I intoned. I could see her fighting with herself and decided that she would make the right decision.

“Come on inside now. Dinner’s almost ready. Miroku should turn up soon enough.” I said. As we entered the house, I knew I was right. Sango would have to stand up for what she wanted, and I knew she had it in her to do it. She just needed that extra little push. I woke the children up one at a time, and brought them into the dining room.

We ate in silence when Miroku entered the house. “Your food is in the kitchen. You’ll have to heat it over the fire since it is most likely cold.” I told him, keeping my tone neutral. He nodded, a frown marring his visage, but shrugged it off. When he sat down, he had to sit across from Sango, and frowned again when she looked away from him immediately.

I was about to let out a growl, when I felt Lord Sesshomaru’s aura coming towards the house. Scanning everyone at the table, I made sure that my family had their bracelets on before standing and making my way to the door. Once outside, I leaned against the door frame and waited for him to exit the tree line.

“Can I help you, my Lord? I asked, making my voice as neutral as possible. “I would like to speak privately with you.” He said, leaving no room for arguments. I nodded, stood up straight, and led him to the edge of the river that was just outside of Kouga-kun’s hearing range. “What is it you wished to speak to me about, my Lord?” I bit out. After I spun to face him, I noticed his mask has fallen completely, and I couldn’t help but let out a small gasp at the strange emotions I saw flitting across his face.

“I wish to apologize for my behavior towards you. For my callous and unfounded insult towards you yesterday, and for what I did to your hands earlier.” He claimed, stepping closer towards me. After a moment, I realized there was barely a foot between us, and I drew in a barely calm breath before speaking.

“Thank you, my Lord; for the apology. I hold nothing against you. Now, if you will excuse me, Lord Sesshomaru; I have to make sure my siblings and my musuko bathe before bed. As well as take care of my guests, my Okaa-san, and myself. Am I to assume that Rin will be here in the morning to play with the children?” I asked, turning slightly to the house.

At his nod, I barely tilted my lips up in a smile. “Very well. Good night, Lord Sesshomaru.” I told him, turning fully to the house to make my way back. Before I could get three steps away, Lord Sesshomaru grabbed my wrist and I hissed from the pain. “Kagome, make no mistake, I can harm you, but I did not intend to, nor do I intend to let you be harmed.” He declared, staring me in the eye.

“I understand, my Lord. Please, release my wrist?” I asked, barely managing from keeping the pain at bay. Slowly, as if he wished to say something else, he let go and I turned back. I made my way back to the house and was about to slip past the door, when Lord Sesshomaru grabbed my arm and spun me to face him again.

“My Lord?” I questioned. “What you said about the hanyou earlier, what happened when her love found out about her?” he demanded. I scrunched my eyes together and weighed my options before speaking. “She made a mistake. He didn’t love her as he had said. He hurt her, and left her. She vowed to never make the same mistake again. She died inside that night; and even now, she still has moments when she just breaks down into tears.” I told him.

He seemed to be warring with himself, and I stood as still as I could, trying not to blush at how close we were. “I shall see you all tomorrow then. Good bye, Kagome.” He finally said. “Good bye, Lord Sesshomaru." I replied, finally able to go inside.

When I entered the house, I could tell all the adults had questions, but they waited until Lord Sesshomaru had left completely before voicing any of them. As they all opened their mouths, I held my hand up, and walked past them to the children. “Alright, bath time. Shippo, Inuyasha, the two of you are old enough to bathe in Inuyasha’s bathroom. Kikyou, go bathe in your bathroom.” I ordered, leaving no room for complaints.

After hearing them get into their baths, I finally turned to the others and sat down, waiting for their questions to begin. “What did he want?” Kouga-kun asked. “He apologized for insulting me and what happened earlier today.” I answered. “What about the hanyou he was talking about?” Momma asked.

“I told him a variation of what happened to you to try to explain that all hanyou a weren’t evil.” I replied. She nodded and left for the kitchen to clean up dinner. “Sango, we’ll be sharing my room. Miroku, you can sleep in Inuyasha’s room. Kouga-kun… Hmmm…. Where are you going to sleep?” I asked myself.

“I have somewhere for Kouga-kun to sleep Kagome. You girls go get your bath and go to bed.” Momma called from the kitchen. “Alright momma. Come on Sango.” I said, grabbing her hand and dragging her to my room. I started the bath, hoping to get clean and in bed quickly. “Do you remember when we first met?” I asked, after we had settled into the water.

“Yeah, I’m still sorry about that.” Sango muttered. “Don’t be sorry. It’s not your fault that your training taught you to attack me. I’m just glad you weren’t a ganko-sha and you had enough common sense to listen to me.” I replied. “Yeah, but I’m still sorry I attacked you back then. I can’t imagine doing that now.” She responded.

I smiled and grabbed the soap, working it into my hair quickly. “Do you want me to rewrap your wrists before bed?” Sango asked. “Yes, thank you.” I said, ducking under the water to rinse. Once I was completely clean, I climbed out of the water, and dressed in a sleeping gown my mother had bought me a few moons ago.

A quick towel to my hair dried it enough to sleep with. “Where are the bandages?” Sango called from the bathroom. “Above the soaps.” I called back. When Sango walked into the room, she was dressed in a pink and green sleeping gown and was carrying clean bandages.

Sitting on the bed beside her, I bit into the cloth on my wrists and tore them open; then held out my hands for her to bandage. Quickly, she wrapped my wrists tight without them being too tight. “Thank you Sango.” I said hugging her. “You’re welcome, Kagome.” She responded before pulling back. I blew the candle out, and we laid down for the night.

Chapter End Notes:
Well, I hope you liked this chapter. It's longer than I'd originally planned, but I like the way it turned out.