- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Here we go. I hope the scene where he fed her is as humorous as I wanted it to be. There's just a hint of angst at the end of this chapter so hopefully that will grab your interest as well.

 When I woke in the morning, the sun was already an hour into the sky. You have got to be kidding me. Lord Sesshomaru will be here any minute! With that thought fueling me, I jumped from the bed and dressed in some of my more worn clothing, knowing I would get dirty playing with the kids. Pushing my gloves into my pocket, I threw my bow and quiver over my shoulder and ran out the room. “Shippo, Inuyasha, wake up otokonokos. Rin and Lord Sesshomaru will be here soon.” I called into the door.

As I heard them jumping out of the bed and getting dressed, I made my way to Kikyou’s room. “Kikyou, wake up. Rin will be here to play soon.” I said, gently shaking her awake. When she got out of bed, I rushed back into my own room and grabbed a hair tie. I ran a brush through my wavy ebony hair and quickly tied it back. The children all came out of their rooms and we ate a quick breakfast of fruit before leaving the house to make our way to the clearing.

We entered the clearing just moments before Lord Sesshomaru did. “Good morning, Lord Sesshomaru. Good morning Rin. I trust you slept well.” I said, smiling down at the little on’nanoko. She smiled and nodded before heading to the children. I smiled at them then turned to the target across from me and glared at it. I pulled an arrow from my quiver and grimaced as I strung it back in my bow. Growling, I release it and watched as it hit the center of the mark.

“Baka lord thinks he can just choose suitors for me just because he thinks he knows what’s best for me. I told him to stop trying to find me a mate. He’s going to keep pushing before I finally go out on my own to prove just how much that annoys me. Even if I have to fight every suitor he picks, I’ll prove that I don’t need to be married off.” I muttered to myself. A growl behind me was the only thing that kept me from spinning and shooting an arrow at the intruder.

One sniff of the air told me who it was. “Come on out, Miroku.” I called, stringing another arrow and sending it spiraling towards the target. “Kagome, do you know what’s bothering Sango?” he asked after stopping a few feet away from me. “She’s hurt and angry with you. You should know this by now, Miroku.” I told him, letting another arrow fly. “Why?” he asked dumbly.

“Because baka, you were flirting with village on’nanokos. You are her intended and when you flirt with other onna you make her feel inferior. It hurts her when you flirt with other onna because it makes it seem like you won’t be a faithful otto. Sango may not have said it, but she is thinking about leaving you. She’s tired of being treated like that. Unless you clean up your act you’re going to lose her, Miroku.” I intoned. I could see the fearful look in his eyes and decided to try to help him.

 “Make her feel like you’ll be faithful. Show her how much you love her. Stop flirting with every onna you meet. And try to keep your wandering hand restricted to her backside.” I bit out, grabbing his hand in midair before he had the chance to place it on my backside. Using his arm, I spun him to the trees and gave him a push. “Now go on before you lose your chance. And don’t forget to finish my shop today.” I ordered.

Shaking my head, I turned back to my target and quickly strung and released another arrow. “What is bothering you?” Lord Sesshomaru suddenly asked. I drew in a quick breath, and lowered my bow. “Lord Kouga was trying to convince me to meet suitors again last night I have told him before not to pick suitors out for me, but he insists on trying to find a mate for me.” I answered.

“That made you angry?” he questioned, clearly surprised. “Most onna may love the idea of a lord of the four kingdoms personally choosing suitors for them, but I am not like most onna. I do not wish to be wed off to the first otoko that thanks he can prove his worth through some stupid games and a few short talks. I refuse to be like the onna who gladly marry the first otoko to ask for their hand and end up unhappy because I was a simpleton and allowed my life to be ruled by an otoko. Kouga-kun is one of best friends, but I refuse to allow him to try to pick a mate for me based simply on the fact that he thinks he knows what is best for me.” I remarked, turning back to my target.

 “You’re such a kimyona onna.” Lord Sesshomaru replied, laughing lightly. “How so?” I asked simply. “You are a black smith. You adopt orphaned kits. You do not notice blood status. You repeatedly disrespect me and then make amends. You do not expect rewards. You are friends with the Lord of the east and ask for nothing but his friendship. You do not allow anyone to order you around. You do not wish to be wed to an otoko chosen by a lord. You defend hanyou. Is there no end to your oddity?” he questioned.

I sighed; such wonderful compliments just had to be ruined by the insult. “Perhaps, but perhaps I will remain an ‘oddity’.” I bit out, growling under my breath. I made my way to the target, pulled out my arrows, and placed them back in my quiver, before making my way to the logs to sit. I set my bow against the log and watched the children, digging my claws into the log when Lord Sesshomaru sat beside me. “I did not mean to insult you, Kagome. I meant it as a compliment.” He said.

“No matter how you meant it, my Lord; it came out sounding like and insult.” I bit out, taking several deep breathes to control my composure. “Kagome, come play with us.” Rin called from across the clearing. “Yeah, come play with us nee-chan.” Kikyou and Inuyasha called. “Come on momma” Shippo called as well. Smiling, I stood, pulled my quiver from my back, and jogged over to them. “So, what are we playing?” I asked. “A soldier game.” Inuyasha and Shippo yelled.

At the same time, Rin and Kikyou yelled, “A hime game.” “Hmm… How about I tell you a story and then we’ll play a game afterwards. That way, maybe you call all agree on a game.” I suggested. They nodded enthusiastically and say I a rough circle under the shade of a nearby sakura tree. “Alright, I’m going to tell you a story about an on’nanoko that persevered through the worst years of her life until she could leave and make her own life. Are you all comfortable?” I asked, sitting with Shippo and Inuyasha on one side of me, and Rin and Kikyou on my other side as I leaned against the tree trunk.

At their nods, I began. “There was once an on’nanoko whose Okaa-san died shortly after her birth, leaving her Outo-san to care for her. Years later, when she was old enough to understand most of the world around her, her father decided she needed an Okaa-san; someone to teach her how to be a ‘proper lady’, and to show her how to find a suitable husband. The father married an onna who had two daughters, who were very cruel, much like their Okaa-san, to the poor girl."

"One day, when the on’nanoko’s Outo-san was leaving to trade his goods, he suddenly fell from his horse within running distance from their home. The on’nanoko ran to her Outo-san and tried to help him, but she was too late; he had dies before he reached the ground. After his funeral, the mamahaha and suteppu shimai treated the on’nanoko as lowly as a slave; and made her clean, cook, and sleep beside the fireplace every night. No matter what they did, she never let them break her spirit, and decided that when she was old enough to leave the house, she would."

"Years later, only days before it was the time she could leave them forever, the king of the land held a grand masked ball to celebrate his musuko’s return; and secretly to find him a bride. The kind demanded that all eligible ladies were to attend; and so, as it was the last time she would go anywhere in the kingdom, she decided to go. Her mamahaha and suteppu shimai scoffed at her, saying she would not fit in and that they would not be seen with her in her rags. So, after they left, she pulled her Okaa-san’s wedding kimono from where she had hidden it; cleaned herself, dressed in it, using a silver silk sash to cover her eyes and hide her identity."

"That night, she attended the ball, and unknowingly met the prince. He had seen her enter the grand hall at the last moment, and passed her suteppu shimai to meet her. Thinking that he was a normal man whom she would never see again, she accepted his offer when he asked her to dance. The king and his second in command saw how the prince reacted to her, and subtly separated them from the rest of the ball."

"Throughout the night, the two began to feel something from the other, but the on’nanoko pushed it away as best as she could. When it was time for her to return, the prince did not want her to go; so he requested that she let him walk her home. Thinking quickly, she said, ‘But I have yet to address the prince and congratulate him. I must do so before leaving.’ Just as he was about to speak to inform her of whom he was, the great clock in the tower of the castle rang twelve, and she quickly ran to the steps to make her escape."

"As she ran down the steps, her slipper fell from her foot; but as the prince was following her, she left it, pulled her other slipper off, and ran with bare feet back towards he home. The next day, as she awoke to make breakfast and take the daily royal announcements to her mamahaha, she found that she had danced with the prince all night. She hurriedly took breakfast to her mamahaha and suteppu shimai and packed away her things."

"The day had come for her to leave, and they could no longer stop her. So, as the king’s second in command came to the door, he stopped her, and told her to announce to the ladies of the house that he wished to see them. ‘I am sorry, sir. But I no longer serve the people here. You shall have to find someone else to inform them. Please release me so that I may leave.’ She told him as kindly as she possibly could. When he told her that he was to find the maiden that fit the slipper for the prince she asked to see it. ‘No. this cannot be possible.’ She said aloud."

"‘What is not possible?’ the man asked. ‘That is my slipper.’ She sighed, knowing she would be taken to the castle now. ‘That is impossible. The maiden who wore this slipper was beautiful beyond compare and captured the prince’s hear. You cannot possibly be the same maiden.’ The second in command said haughtily. ‘Unfortunately, sire, I am the maiden. You see, I have the other slipper.’ She told him, pulling it from her bag."

"The second in command saw the slipper, and immediately grabbed her arm, leading her to the coach that awaited him. The on’nanoko sighed, knowing that none would believe her without proof. She had only wanted to leave, and now she was stuck. When they reached the castle, the second in command led her to the grand ball room again, and left her standing in the middle of the room while he went to fetch the prince."

"As she remembered the previous night, she sighed and decided to walk around the room. When the prince entered, he looked towards her, and then looked completely around the room, searching for someone. ‘You, where is the maiden I danced with last night?” he demanded of her. Knowing he would not believe it was her, even though she could prove it, her heart ached as she pulled the slipper from her bag."

"‘I am the maiden you danced with last night. I know you do not believe me, and I truly wish I did not have to be here. I was planning to leave this place today. Your majesty, I am sorry I did not recognize you last night. If you wish, I shall leave the slipper with you, and be on my way. But I will be taking my kimono with me. I will not part with it.’ She told him. ‘You cannot be the maiden I danced with last night.’ The prince said simply."

"‘I am guessing you assumed I would be a ‘well-groomed, proper, lady’. I am not, nor will I ever be like them. I am, however, the maiden you danced with. I am sorry you are so closed minded, your majesty. I shall be leave now.’ She said to him, gently setting her slipper on the floor, and turning to the doors. ‘Send in the real maiden. I know she is out there.’ The prince yelled after her. At this, the on’nanoko sobbed, pain and anger at being compared to herself so horribly setting in. But she continued on her way out of the castle and made her way to the road that led out of the country."

"Days later, she was just outside the country when the prince road up to her side on his great steed. ‘Is there something else you wish to say to me your majesty?’ she asked bitterly. The prince jumped from his horse and landed in front of her on his feet. ‘Are you truly the maiden that danced with me that night?’ he asked incredulously. ‘Yes, and I wish to leave.’ She answered simply. ‘Why are you leaving?’ he asked."

"‘I will not remain where I am not wanted or treated horribly. I am going to travel the countries like my Outo-san did.’ She said, trying to make her way around him. ‘Stay with me.’ the prince requested. The on’nanoko shook her head, and continued on her way. ‘Do you not want to be queen?’ the prince asked. ‘I want nothing more than to be with people who will care about the true me. I do not wish to rule over the people of this land.’ She answered simply, again trying to go around him."

"The prince stopped her with his hands on her shoulders and stood in front of her. ‘Please? Stay. Stay and be my bride.’ He requested, very nearly making it an order. ‘I do not wish to be wed; to anyone. I will not be like my Okaa-san.’ She retorted. Suddenly, the prince got an idea, and he kneeled before the maiden that had captured his heart so completely. ‘If you will stay with me and be my bride, I promise that I will always love you for who you are, and I will never love another. You captured my heart at the ball, and I do not intend to lose you.’ He said."

"These words, which she had longed to hear her whole life, brought tears to her eyes as she gazed at him. In that moment, she knew she could not push back the feelings she harbored for him any loner, and she fell into his arms with her eyes brimmed with tears of happiness. When they returned, the entire kingdom celebrated the prince’s engagement. The mamahaha and her musumes tried to get favor from her until the day of her wedding, but she would not forgive them and garner them favor among the royal court."

"After the wedding, the prince and his bride were celebrated with another ball. And years later, they had their first child, a beautiful daughter that had the prince’s eyes and the on’nanoko’s wild blonde hair. She was celebrated by all, and the prince became the crowned king shortly after. They were truly content with their lives, and went on to have a son, and twin daughters.” I finally finished.

The children all smiled, but a scoff behind me had me turning to see Lord Sesshomaru. “Do you have a problem with my story, Lord Sesshomaru?” I asked. “A prince would not marry an onna just because of one night of dancing.” He replied. “If you do not like the story, the forget it. It was a children’s story. It was not for you to enjoy.” I retorted, gritting my teeth against the glare I wanted to give him. “I think it was wonderful, Fluffy. It’s a wonderful story, Kagome. Fluffy just doesn’t like it because the prince asked and didn’t tell her.” Rin said, smiling lightly.

 I couldn’t help it; I let out a chuckle at her statement. Lord Sesshomaru sent me a seemingly playful glare as I stood. My brows drew together in confusion before turning to the children with a smile. “It is time to go Rin.” Lord Sesshomaru said. Rin frowned at him as she stood, and looked fit to argue. “Why are we leaving?” she asked. “We must return for lunch. We will come back.” he told her, causing her to smile again. She nodded and the two left shortly after she stood.

“Well, we should probably go home for lunch too. We’ll come back to meet them after we eat.” I promised as I went to my bow and quiver and put them on my back.

As we entered the house, I smelled stew and bread. “We’re back momma.” I called into the kitchen. I set my bow and quiver against the wall by the door and walked into the main room to see Kouga, Sango, and Miroku. “Hey Kouga-kun. Hi Sango. Miroku.” I said, as I hugged Kouga and then Sango. “Did you finish putting my shop back to rights, Miroku?” I asked.

At his nod, I smiled and gave him a light hug. “Good, I didn’t want to have to beat some sense into you. It would literally hurt me too much.” I said. I felt a tremor go through him and chuckled. Four years after I had met him and I still scared him when I was angry; and I was going to keep it that way.

“Don’t stress your wrists, Kagome.” Kouga-kun remarked, smiling lightly. I stuck my tongue out to him and sat beside Sango across from him. The children went to the table and we followed them as momma brought out the food. “Momma, tonight I will cook.” I told her. “No, Kagome. You can offer to cook when your wrists are healed.” She decided, not allowing me to argue.

I huffed but conceded. It would be horribly excruciating to cook with the difficulty my injuries were already giving me. “Alright.” I nodded, not really in the mood to argue with her when I knew she would win, especially since the others seemed to agree with her. “Now, let’s all eat up. Don’t want it to go cold.” Sango claimed, breaking the strange silence that had fallen over us.

Dishing up the food, we all ate in a more comfortable silence than before. I was forced to eat slowly, otherwise my wrists would flare with pain and I would drop the spoon into the bowl. “I’m done.” Kikyou claimed. “Me too.” Inuyasha declared. “I am as well, momma.” Shippo told me. “Alright, go put your dishes into the bucket in the kitchen with Inuyasha and Kikyou’s. You can play in front of the house until we leave.” I replied, placing the kiss on his forehead.

After the others had eaten, they sat and talked while momma did the dishes and I continued to slowly eat my lunch. Suddenly, I heard the hime’s squeal and started. Then, I heard the dreaded voice of Lord Sesshomaru at the door. “Kagome.” He called. “I’ll be out in a moment, my Lord.” I retorted, picking up my bowl with the spoon as I stood and shuffled to the door. I sighed as I saw the children already playing, and him standing beside a nearby sakura tree.

Slowly, only prolonging my pain, I walked under the shade of the tree and sat to watch the children while I ate. When the boys started playing a little rougher than the girls looked like they could handle I intervened. “Boys be a little more gentle.” I called.

Finally, I could try to finish eating. I stiffened slightly when Lord Sesshomaru sat beside me, but I brushed it off and began slowly eating my stew again. “Are your wrists bothering you?” he suddenly asked. “Not as long as I eat slowly.” I answered simply. “I will help you then.” He decided. “How do you propose to help me, my Lord; unless you were to feed me by your own hand, there is not really anything you can do.” I joked, I didn’t want to be fed like a baby, and I highly doubted Lord Sesshomaru would stoop so low as to actually offer to feed a commoner.

Without a thought to the joke I had made, I began to eat again. A moment later, my bowl and spoon were snatched from my hands and a whimper just barely escaped me. “Why did you take my food?” I pouted at him. I was too tired and in too much pain to care that I was being childish; I just wanted to try to finish my lunch. “I will feed you.” He offered. “There’s no need for that, my Lord. I was joking about you feeing me. I can feed myself.” I argued, trying to reach for my bowl. “Do not argue, Kagome.” He asserted, keeping it just out of my reach.

I sighed and nodded, reluctantly assenting. Finally, I could truly eat. It was embarrassing, but I had eaten more from him feeding me in a few minutes, than I had since my Okaa-san had put the food in front of me nearly an hour and a half ago. I couldn’t look him in the eyes; when he didn’t have the spoon hear my face I had my eyes turned to the children, trying to keep from blushing. When the stew was almost gone, I had to hold back a sigh of disappointment.

 Where did that come from? I hate being fed and treated like a child; yet when he’s about to stop feeding me, I’m upset? My thoughts haunted me. And then… Miroku and Sango stepped outside the house and I saw the nearly hidden smirk on Miroku’s face. “Kagome, I don’t believe I have ever seen you allow someone to feed you. Why the sudden change of heart?” he asked, barely hiding the insinuation.

Blushing so horribly that I matched the cherries above me, I stood and snapped a long switch from the branch above me. Methodically, I stalked towards him with the switch in my hands. A look from Sango as she reached into the doorway stopped me in my tracks as I watched her. She pulled the weapon I had kept for her in my shop from inside the house and I smiled I grim satisfaction as she lifted it above her head and aimed it at Miroku’s vulnerable skull.

All too late Miroku realized that something was going on behind him, and just as he was about to turn to see what I was smiling at, Sango brought the weapon down. My smile grew wider; the giant youkai bone boomerang didn’t have enough force behind it to seriously injure or kill Miroku, but it had enough to know him out for a while. “Thank you, Sango.” I said softly.

She nodded, smiled, and began dragging Miroku into the house. Quietly, I sat down beside Lord Sesshomaru again, and watched the children. Before I could get comfortable, momma and Kouga-kun came outside were making their way to the tree line. “We’ll be back soon, Kagome; we’re going for a walk.” My mother called over her shoulder.

“Alright, momma.” I called back. It was so easy to see how much they belonged together. But they both still felt the other didn’t feel the same. “One of these days I am going to lock them in the house and force them to admit their feelings.” I muttered. Lord Sesshomaru gave me a confused look and it was too amusing to pass up. I outright laughed at the confusion flitting across his visage.

 “What is so funny?” he demanded, almost seeming to pout at my laughter. “Your confusion; I have never truly seen an emotion on your face before. It is nice to know that you are still somewhat like the rest of us.” I answered truthfully. When his mask fell back into place; my laughter died immediately. “I apologize, my Lord. Excuse me a moment.” I mumbled, grabbing the empty bowl and escaping to the house.

I walked into the kitchen slowly and hung my head. Why did I say that to him? Why did it upset me when his mask returned? What is wrong with me?! With these thoughts running through my mind, I went into my bedroom, changed into some more comfortable clothing, and then went back outside. I sat as far as I could from Lord Sesshomaru without being too obvious about my discomfort and watched the children.

Moments later, Lord Sesshomaru moved closer to me, and I felt every muscle in my body coil. “Where did you hear the story you told the children?” he asked. “When I was younger, we were staying in the eastern kingdom, visiting Lord Kouga, and I was permitted to go into his library. His tutors educated me like they had him, by his request. It was one of my favorite stories and it still is. He gave me a copy before we left, that he had re-written by hand for me, and I still stay up late and read it if I’m at the shop overnight. When I was little and they had first read it to me, it inspired me.” I answered, slowly willing myself to relax. “How did it inspire you?” he asked. “It inspired me to be myself and not care what others say about me unless I know that I can trust them and know that they accept me for who I am. And to not fall blindly into something; to always know as much as I can about what is going on around me. Speaking of which: Kikyou, Inuyasha, don’t even think about convincing Shippo and Rin to sneak off to the river to swim; I am not going to chase away the fish like last time and not be able to fish for days again. It took three days for the fish to come back last time.” I called out to them.

I had caught conspiratorial look the four had shared, and I knew exactly what they were thinking. Kikyou and Rin pouted while Inuyasha and Shippo hung their heads in slight shame at being caught. They were all too adorable to stay mad at. I slightly lifted my arms and they all shuffled over and hugged me. I squeezed then let go.

“If you want to swim, I will find somewhere for you to swim; but not near the house and not for a couple of days. Alright?” I asked. They nodded and agreed, albeit reluctantly, but they didn’t send me looks of an impending argument. “You should play while you can. We will be going to the peace ball next week and will be gone for the duration of the festival.” Lord Sesshomaru remarked. My brows rose in surprise before I regained my composure.

The children went back to playing and Lord Sesshomaru decided to question me further. “I still am curious as to why you would wish to be educated like a Lord or Lady.” He said. “Is it so horrible that I do not wish to be uneducated?” I asked, offended. “No. You, however have been educated as a man and that is not done.” He replied. “Well, excuse me, my Lord. Lord Kouga wanted me to be able to understand when he was talking to me. I appreciate not being treated like a baka in his presence because I was educated.” I bit out, standing and walking into the forest.

I needed a moment to calm down before I said something I would regret to him. Unfortunately, he followed me. “Kagome.” He called. I just kept walking. I was furious. How dare he insult me and how I was educated simply because I was just as smart as he was and I was a woman?! “Kagome!” he called again, angrily grabbing my wrist and spinning me around to face him. “Release me!” I yelled. His claws were starting to dig through the bandages into my wounds.

“You will not walk away from me, onna!” he shouted in my face. I flinched; raised voices were not kind to hanyou ears. “I do not belong to you! Let go!” I yelled again as I ripped my hand away and stormed deeper into the forest. I knew he would continue to follow me. But I wanted to keep this away from the children. Suddenly, I broke through the tree line and saw my Okaa-san and Kouga-kun hugging each other close.

“Oh, hi momma; hi Kouga-kun.” I said, starting to blush as I smiled at them sheepishly. “Kagome, where are the children?” my Okaa-san asked after breaking her embrace with Kouga. “They’re in front of the house. Sango and Miroku are there; I didn’t leave them without watchful eyes. Lord Sesshomaru and I could not continue our conversation around them.” I ground out, trying to keep my calm.

Kouga was sure to challenge Lord Sesshomaru if he saw how angry I was and how much pain I was in. I nodded, to them, and then cut through the small clearing to the path that led to the river. Lord Sesshomaru followed closely behind me and once I stopped at the edge of the river bank he nearly bumped into me and sent us both in the water.

“Why are you upset?” he asked. I drew in several deep breaths before I felt in control enough to speak. “I am upset because you have, yet again, insulted me. And again, you have dug your claws into my wrists! I do not appreciate being treated as a baka or an object to control.” I spat out. “I did not mean to insult you.” He said quietly. I growled lowly, glaring at the running water and wishing I could be a part of it.

“Do not growl at me.” he ordered. “I growl when I see fit. I merely wish I could be a part of the water. It can so easily give or take life. It is never to be controlled. It always does as it sees fit. It is…. Free.” I whispered. “Are you not free?” he questioned. I sighed; of course this conversation would swerve to my dreams.

“Not as I wish to be. I can only go so far from my home. I can only create so much. I can only…. Open up to anyone outside my family so far… until I have to leave and protect my own heart.” I replied. He put his hands on my shoulders and spun me to slowly face him again. His mask had fallen again. “Lord Sesshomaru… are you alright?” I asked, barely lifting my hand.

Quickly I caught myself as his eyes hardened and I spun to face the river again. “I apologize, Lord Sesshomaru. I did not mean to pry.” I muttered, beginning to make my way back to the house. Again, he caught my wrist and I had to stop to keep from gasping in pain. “You may call me Sesshomaru, Kagome.” He suddenly said. “I- uh- huh?” I asked.

I was dumb struck. Rin was allowing me to forgo her title was one thing but him, being who he is; doing the same was something else entirely. “You may call m Sesshomaru. I know you will not abuse the privilege.” He intoned. “Thank you. It is an honor.” I stammered. He smiled; a real smile, not a simple lift of the corner of his lips; and my heart skipped a beat.

“You should smile more often. It is endearing.” I said. At this he smiled wider and I had to let my own smile show. Before I could pull my wrist from his grip, he began walking back towards my home and dragging me behind him. I had to jog to keep up with his stride but thankfully he dropped my wrist just before we broke the tree line.

We made our way to the cherry tree and just as I was about to sit down, all four of the children jumped on me; and I fell on my back with them hugging me. “Oomph.” I sounded. I was being hugged at random spots along my body by four wild children. “Can I get up and hug you all back?” I asked.

They laughed but got up one by one until I could right myself. When I was kneeling in front of them, I opened my arms to them. “Where did you go?” Rin asked. “I went to the river.” I answered. “Why do you smell sad?” Inuyasha asked. “Just old memories Inuyasha. Nothing to worry about; I promise.” I affirmed.

He accepted my answer and they all went back to playing. I smiled at their backs; they were such treasures. I wished to be able to enjoy this more often. “Your wounds have opened.” Lord Sesshomaru claimed, taking a sniff of the air. I sighed and stood slowly. “Kouga-kun is going to put me over his knee and tan my backside like a child.” I muttered to myself.

Suddenly, Lord Sesshomaru zoomed past me into my house, and before I could wonder what he was doing; he was in front of me with clean bandages. “What did you get them for?” I asked. “I will tend to your wrists.” He said simply. “There’s no need.” I tried to argue.

“You cannot wrap them yourself and I will not see Lord Kouga put you over his knee as if you were a child.” He asserted quietly. I blushed at that; I hadn’t meant to say that aloud. I nodded and sat right in front of him under the tree. He moved closer still and put my wrists on his knee. I hissed when he pulled the bandages off my wrists after slicing them open.

“I apologize again for causing you pain.” He said. I nodded and watched as he lifted y right hand off of his lap. He lifted my hand to his face and proceeded to lick my wrist. “Ouch. What are you doing?” I asked, panicking. “My saliva will pull the left over poison out of your wrist and allow it to heal fully. If I do not do this; there will be complications when it is done healing.” He answered seriously.

With that, I turned my head away. I couldn’t watch him lick my wrist. It was embarrassing enough already. I was glad that Miroku and Sango had seemed to have gone to the market. I did not want to have to beat Miroku with a sakura switch for comments I knew he would make if he’d seen me. After he finished with my right hand, he wrapped it and proceeded to repeat the process with my left hand. I barely caught a snippet of something Rin said and knew that he hadn’t been able to hear her.

Thankfully, because now I was blushing like mad. She had said, “He’s never taken care of anyone but me like that before. He must want to show his feelings.” “What are you embarrassed about?” he asked. “Nothing.” I said quietly. He let it drop, thankfully, because I did not want to talk about it. Finally, he wrapped my left hand and I could put them in my lap. I stared down at my lap for a moment before lifting my head to watch the children play.

               It was nearly sun set when Sesshomaru and Rin were getting ready to leave. “Good bye, Rin. It was wonderful to see you today. You should have Sesshomaru bring you again tomorrow.” I said. Since he had adamantly refused to allow me to continue to use his title; I decided I would actually take the partial order. She gasped, then smiled and hugged me. “Good bye, Sesshomaru. Please, do bring her tomorrow. If you would like, I will even tell you about when I was being taught by Kouga-kun’s tutors.” I offered, smiling up at him.

                He nodded, picked up a yawning Rin, and began the trek back to his palace. After I felt his aura move away from my own, I took the children inside and began to cook dinner. Miroku and Sango had returned with fresh meat and vegetables a little before and I knew momma and Kouga were just outside the house now. When they finally stepped inside the house, momma rushed over to me and began to pull me away from the food.

               “Momma, I fell much better. My wrists will be clear of any blemish in the morning.” I told her. “How? They were barely bearable this morning.” She argued. “Se- Lord Sesshomaru took a look at them earlier. He fixed them for me.” I answered, almost slipping up with the title. I was beginning to grow far too comfortable with not saying his title. “Kagome; what has gotten into you?” my Okaa-san asked.

                “What are you talking about momma?” I questioned. “You look as if you have fallen in love.” She said simply. A blush started to spread across my cheeks and I turned back to the food. Have I fallen in love with Sesshomaru? It shouldn’t be possible. But in a few days I’ve been speaking with him; I know I would protect him as I would protect my family and my friends. But it’s more than that. it hurts me when his mask falls back into place. My heart skips a beat whenever he smiles at me; and it skipped a beat when he was caring for my wrists. Could I have really fallen in love?  

                My thoughts should have scared me. Fallen in love was dangerous; especially for me. Yet, it didn’t scare me. It made me feel warm and complete. I could only hop he felt the same way. “I think I have.” I told her. “Have you lost your mine?!” my Okaa-san yelled. “What are you thinking?!” Sango asked. “She’s not thinking. She’s gone mad!” Kouga yelled.

                Their words nearly brought tears to my eyes. “It is not as if I wanted to fall in love with him! I cannot help it!” I defended. “I did not save you from him when you were a koneko only for you to die fifty years later!” my Okaa-san yelled angrily. At this, I nearly broke out in tears. “Then perhaps you should have let me die as a koneko!” I shouted back.

                 With that, I pushed past her, out the house, and ran to the river. My Okaa-san had never said anything like that to me before. I felt betrayed. How could she have said that to me?! I had always worried if she was truly my mother. She was an inu and I was a neko! How had I been so stupid all these years?! How had she tricked me into believing that I was some strand child of hers?

                  She had never been pregnant before Kikyou and Inuyasha and yet somehow she had me?! I was so stupid. I fell to my knees on the bank and watched the water. I refused to cry. My tears hadn’t fallen since the day after Kikyou and Inuyasha’s birth and they were not about to fall now. I would not allow it to poison my heart.

                  She was still my Okaa-san; no matter that she had hurt me. She had cared for me my whole life and I loved her. I just needed time to myself. I continued to watch the water and the creatures within it. They were blissfully unaware of the troubles of life outside the running waters. I stayed there for hours, simply staring into the water and remembering moments when my Okaa-san and I would simply relax or play in the water. Or times such as when she had Kikyou and Inuyasha or when I first met Kouga. Finally, I simply lie on my side and fell asleep.

Chapter End Notes:
Hope you liked this chapter. See ya.